Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Crawle [60/60]

So what I've been working on this month, a lot is a project called Crawle. Crawle is a randomly generated, survival dungeoncrawler sandbox game. I think so far I've put in well over 22 hours since Nov. 1st.

Information

So some of the things me and my graphics artist have put together are:
- Experience is gained in certain skills in order to make better things with that skill, the way you level up is through certain 'feats' and play time.
- Every so often the market changes, certain items can be sold for higher prices, etc.
- Dungeons appear after gaining a set amount of experience.
- Dungeons are for getting resources, items, experience, etc.
- Going without food will cause your character to become sick, diseases may also (randomly) develop on your character, increasing your death rate.
- Instead of creating your own NPCs, you find rare NPCs around the world which you can ask to join you in your village.
- You can build whatever you want out of certain materials.
- Rare artifacts are hidden beneath the world.
- Invasions from other creatures and races occur randomly, during these events, EXP (which is otherwise gained from skills, feats and play time) for killing monsters is up for grabs. Stealing a race’s Battle Standard will cause an immediate invasion.

[Below are a few mechanics, concepts and features produced from a meeting a while ago]

- Dungeons are portals in the overworld, each has their own theme.
- No level requirements for entering.
- There will be bars for hunger, health and sanity.
- Skills:
- Fishing
- Mining
- Woodcutting
- Cooking
- Crafting
- Crafting of various objects depend on their specific skills.
- There isn't really durability but if what you're trying to hit is really hard, it may break but is still repairable.
- Hardcore and normal mode. Permadeath on hardcore.
- Permadeath = restart on a new world.
- Health regains over time (0.5% per sec), low hunger drains health, potions are rare but found in groups of 5.
- There will be traps. Because Relly hates nature.
- Random events:
- Travelling merchants.
- Earthquakes. Random holes appear revealing new dungeons/caverns.
- Floods.
- Some settlements are hostile some are friendly, you will get invaded/attacked by the hostiles.

What I hope to do by the end of the month

Though I doubt I can get all of those done before the end of November, but, so far I've done quite a few of them, including the map generation system, account system and a day and night system and what I hope to complete is the main gameplay mechanics including combat, NPC AI, and make the map generation system as dynamic as possible.

Development Screenshots

Here are some screenshots of the map generation:

Tree generation:

1VANS.png

Old seed generation:

r1hQM.png

RECEF.png

New seed generation:

4dpX5.png

What I'm currently working on is NPCs and their combat, I've got them to half work, as seen here:

7J44c.png

They do appear.. and move, the only problem is that they move together and with the player's camera.

By the end of the 60 hours I hope to release the 0.2.0 version of the game with multiplayer.

Development Log:

20/11/11:
- Went hard to work on NPCs, basically fixing them and then doing the combat and differentiating them.
- Fixed NPCs! Screenshot:
3GVB5.png
- Released a new version

21/11/11-29/11/11
- Made the game sidescrolling and then undid it.
- Created the basics of a sandboxing system.
- Livened up the maps with new seeds.
- Created more world options and merged accounts with worlds.

So yeah that's the end of my 60 hours and though I haven't finished it I can safely say I've created an amazing base for Crawle.

21/11/11-29/11/11
- Made the game sidescrolling and then undid it.
- Created the basics of a sandboxing system.
- Livened up the maps with new seeds.
- Created more world options and merged accounts with worlds.

So yeah that's the end of my 60 hours and though I haven't finished it I can safely say I've created an amazing base for Crawle.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.