Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Construct 2 Help?

If anyone is curious about simple things you can make using construct 2 (I know there are lots out there), you can take a look at what I have done personally with the game maker. I used it for a few games myself.

Suspended Pop & Breakout HTML5
Direct Link to Games
24whfly.jpg

Asteroids
Play from your browser!
ou0291.jpg

I know the program a little bit, and I wanted to share some stuff I have completed using it. :) If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Jason

Awesome Bro

This is going to sound dumb, but how do I make a title screen?

I haven't figured out how to make two rooms yet and transfer between one another (Y'know, click start and it takes you to a game room etc.)

Any help would be great here, lol

Eventing_Guy

Awesome Bro

Make sure you install mouse functions is enabled in Maker.

(Double click on screen and select Mouse) [should be under INPUT]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Next make the button... on your title screen.

- Go to event page and add event

- select button, On click

- Add Action, System, ("Go to Layout" or "Go to Layout (By name)")

To answer AeroLowe's question: Different objects have different attributes. I'm sure that Sprite objects have a scale attribute that you can set. Just take a careful look around whithin the event editor, and also pay attention to the semi-transparent window.

If you want to animate something, use an incrementing variable and scale to that factor.

@J: Be aware that it doesn't have to be a button element for you to be able to click it - you can use sprites, moving objects or anything else as a clickable target.

Jason

Awesome Bro

So I've a couple more questions that I could use help with:

#1: I'm trying to make a static HUD using both sprites and text, I can get the text to stay in place obviously, but I can't seem to get the sprite to stay in place, but follow the screen around, y'know what I mean?

#2: I'm wanting to add civilians into my game, that will run away from enemies AND the player, if you'd like to make things easier while explaining, we'll say A is player, B is enemy and C is civilian, I'd love to know how to make this happen because I think it'd be cool to have a screen filled with people (Blocks in my case...) running away from everything, maybe even dropping items at random intervals, how'd I do this?

Cheers

#1: I'm trying to make a static HUD using both sprites and text, I can get the text to stay in place obviously, but I can't seem to get the sprite to stay in place, but follow the screen around, y'know what I mean?

Did you try putting the HUD on a separate layer and then change the parallax to 0,0?

As for the civilians, you'll need quite a complex formula for that. I'd say you need the relative angle from any event to any npc, and then calculate the average (if you wanna get fancy, take the difference in distance into accaount as well).

Jason

Awesome Bro

The HUD is on a seperate layer, but it just stays in position wherever I put it (Top left corner) and I can move away from it and it disappears off the screen, I need it to be permanently there, and what do you mean change the parallax? As far as I can tell, everything is already at 0, 0

How would one do dialog, with a dialogue box and everything?

Is there a plugin or something?
Or would one have to make the box pop up and have it go away when the text is done and tedious stuff like that?

Hmm, there should be a plugin for that. if it doesn't exist yet, i'm sure someone will make it sooner or later.

Anyway, i have some trouble with stopping music. On layout1 i have song1 playing, but when i go to layout2, song1 has to stop and song2 has to start playing. For some reason, whatever i try, i can not make song1 stop. It just goes on forever. Does anyone know more about how to solve that?

gRaViJa":1a15793n said:
Hmm, there should be a plugin for that. if it doesn't exist yet, i'm sure someone will make it sooner or later.

Anyway, i have some trouble with stopping music. On layout1 i have song1 playing, but when i go to layout2, song1 has to stop and song2 has to start playing. For some reason, whatever i try, i can not make song1 stop. It just goes on forever. Does anyone know more about how to solve that?
I believe you create an event.

Condition: (when the player goes to next layout)
Action: Audio - Stop [tagged audio from layout 1]
Audio - Play [whatever you want]

I hope this clears things up. This also means you have to tag each audio file you want to stop.

AeroLowe":32gqpj5p said:
How would one do dialog, with a dialogue box and everything?

Is there a plugin or something?
Or would one have to make the box pop up and have it go away when the text is done and tedious stuff like that?
yeah ive been toying with the system and one of my gripes is that dialogue is more complicated than it needs to be but im sure there is a plugin like you said

Jason

Awesome Bro

Okay so I've got just one more (Hopefully...) question:

I've currently got it so spacebar makes you shoot, however, I don't want the player to be able to just spam spacebar for an instant win... I want to add some sort of a cooldown so you can only shoot every 3 seconds or so, as in disable the usage of the spacebar for that period of time... does anyone know how I'd do this? Because I'm stumped...

Eventing_Guy

Awesome Bro

@J

- OK the FIRST thing you should do is Add a new sprite to the game.
(It could be absolutly Nothing if you want) (Lets name it Cool down)

- Add a variable to it... make it a number, & a value of "0".

now go to the event page (Specifically the event that controls your Bullets)
and ADD a NEW condition.

- If Cool Down 's Variable = 0

(Next add 3 actions at the very bottom)

- Cool Down , Set Variable to 1

- System, Wait, 3.0 seconds

- Cool Down , Set Variable to 0

Eventing_Guy":17istmo8 said:
@J

- OK the FIRST thing you should do is Add a new sprite to the game.
(It could be absolutly Nothing if you want) (Lets name it Cool down)

- Add a variable to it... make it a number, & a value of "0".

now go to the event page (Specifically the event that controls your Bullets)
and ADD a NEW condition.

- If Cool Down 's Variable = 0

(Next add 3 actions at the very bottom)

- Cool Down , Set Variable to 1

- System, Wait, 3.0 seconds

- Cool Down , Set Variable to 0
But wait, wouldn't it cool down every 3 seconds because it keeps resetting to 0?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.