Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Cheap reflections.

I think this deserves a separate topic about reflections.
Chrono_Crisis_Screen_1_by_ChainsOfFate.jpg

Chrono Crisis screenshot by Chains of Fate.

The reflections are a cheap trick. I remember thinking, wow there is a script for that?
But it's done on a sprite sheet. The characters I mean. The walls and junk are probably their own tiles.
I should have called it a Cleaver trick. Doing this any way other than using a script would still take some time. It's kinda obsolete since there are plenty of reflection scripts out there today.

Wouldn't that mean the characters don't line up with the tilesets though? Since they'd be twice as high meaning where the characters feet start wouldn't be in line with the current tile you're stood on, meaning it'd look really awkward under certain circumstances

Originally, I thought the same thing. Which made me figured the reflections were like shadow events. But then I tried recreating it. It actually works better to have the character and reflection on one sheet. Because when everything has a reflection it all lines up.
There is a little trick with the tilesets. The tiles that are reflections aren't passable. Let me explain, the character's reflection is technically the sprite's "feet". And you can't have reflections on top of each other because that would mean the objects are on top of each other. Get it? It's like an illusion. If you walk towards the wall, the sprite character/event will technically stop at wall's reflection but because the character's body is higher than the typical sprite it looks like it stopped at the edge of the wall instead.

No parallel processes or special scripts required. Just a little image editing to create the reflections in the first place.

That's a pretty cool idea actually. I'd seen this done in 2k/3 but never thought about how they did something so seemingly complex. I have seen scripts for it now, for XP/VX/Ace.

Yes, this can be done with scripts, but the graphical implementation is typically more effective. Especially in situations where you can't afford to waste resources on extra graphics or objects, like when making a game in HTML5. In something like that, every "cheap trick" that can mostly approximate a good effect is well-worth using, since you can't use much in the way of resources without dragging the game to a halt.

In short: this article goes over the better way to deal with this kind of stuff, especially in low-resource environments.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.