Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Changing sprites for battle and vice versa. [RESOLVED]

Well I'm using the Tankentai 3.3 English Version 2.0 Side Veiw battler script and I was wondering, is there a way to change that script or the game's original scripting so that the database set sprites for the character appear when you're walking around town but as soon as you get into a battle, the game calls up a different set of sprites for that character?

eg. Walking around town as a human girl but when she gets into a battle with a slime her sprite is that of a mecha.

Well, there is a folder you need to put the picture of the girl in her mech in. That folder is Graphics/Battlers in the materialbase. Make sure you put it there. Second, on the database, under the actors tab where it lists names and such, there are two things. One is character graphic, the other is battler graphic. Change the battler graphic to that of the girl in her mech and test it. Then let me know what happens.

I am working with VX as the title icon denotes meaning there is no battler graphic, just character graphic and face graphic, moving the sprites to the battler section would just make them accessible as enemy battlers and switching the character graphic would make her a mech in battle BUT it would also make her a mech outside of battle which is not what I want

Hmmmm.... I'm not familiar with VX, just XP. I assume the database and materialbase options would be similar. So even though you did that she still walked as a mech in town? The only other thing I can think of is create an event that when you use it that it switches her back. Like an ability to climb into her mech and vice versa.

That would be fine if this was a traditional mech scenario but it works in such a way that as soon as battle occurs she is in the "mech" the reasons why are story related. But thankyou for trying to help.

In VX there are no battler graphics such as in XP

To compare the default battle systems of both:

In XP you have the bottom row with the name, HP and MP + the battler graphic displayed translucent over the info (or was it a translucent enu over the battler, I can't remember)

In the VX basic battle system there is just the character names and hp and mp, no graphics whatsoever for the characters in battle (unless a custom script is used) so there is no need for the ability to select a Battler graphic for a character.

Some of XP's functions are just not built into VX.

Ok, I understand that. So just to make sure I have an idea of your objective, you want her to be in the mech as soon as the battle starts, but afterwards you want her in human form, correct? Ok, that makes sense. It sounds to me like the default battle system in VX almost perfectly copies FF7's battle system layout, to where it shows HP, MP, and names but no graphic right? The only other thing I could suggest would be to try to find a script or change your battle system. Try asking Dargor, he may have an idea to your solution.

Pretty much, so her sprite is human before battle, mech in battle and then human after battle, rinse and repeat every battle and place between. Changing the battle system is not an option because if I can't use the sideview battle system then there's no point in having her change.

Ok that much I understand. I mean you could maybe make a common event to do that to where it only puts her in the mech for battle and then human form for everything else, but that sounds like it could be complicated to do, if it's even possible at all. You may wanna try that if you haven't already, since that would be the last thing I could think of doing to get that to work.

I tried "Calling Common Event" as an event in battle with a Conditional Branch saying when X character is in party Change actor to graophic to Y

However to reverse this I would need a Call Common Event Parallel Processing on every map where enemies may appear, that and the event in battle is only acitvated once turn 0 has initiated so there is a noticable lag/time difference between entering battle and the character transforming.

I see. You have to be careful with parallel processing because it causes considerable lag. Try to use the autorun feature instead of parallel to see if that would reduce the lag.

Ahh when I say lag, it isn't actual lag, but the battle system will say something like ;

Hare has appeared!

While that text is up it isn't turn 0 yet, and so the girl is the girl it is only once I progress to the menu to select commands such as Ram/Artillery/Guard/Bag that she will transform into the mech.

Hmmm.... The very last one I could think of would to speed up the battle system somehow. If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas. If that doesn't work hopefully you will find something that will.

It's turn based, basically think of the RMXP default battle system, where you select everyone's moves and then they do them, the enemy does this as well, well then set it like an old FF side view battler (minus ATB)

Hmmmm.... I see. Yeah that makes sense and the battles run faster without an ATB bar. I'm out of suggestions for ways to put her in the mech in battle and girl outside of it.

I have a potential work around however it does involve changing the storyline and certain in game events accordingly, but I'm still angling to see if there's any possibility of there being another way.

The only way left I can think of is this. In my game I'm designing, in order to tell you where you are, I have an event where you player touch it, and it tells you your locations in a dialog box. I have these at the entrance and exit to every field and village. You could use my technique and set up a player touch event to where when you enter a map, the next square right after the entrance, you put an event where she gets out of the mech. Right after that square, have it to where she enters the mech, then switch it up for the exit. Sort of like this: village exit- one square over- exit mech- next square over, enter mech. You know, something like that. Would that work for you?

Haha, that is pretty much my work around, basically enemy encounter maps she'll be in the "mech" and when not in those maps, she's human and it's all controlled by parallel process events changing her actor graphic, might as well test it to see if it works.

EDIT: It does work so that IS a solution though I'm still hoping I can do this the original way.

Well, I'll support you the whole way to see if we can't come up with a plan to do it the original way, but for now, at least you have something that works. Does this interfere with your main storyline though?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.