Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

BGM change when cutscene happens???

HEY!

:tongue2:  I'm wondering how to change my BGM when I start a cutscene (music goes from happy-go-lucky town theme to face off battle music.)

How do I change it to that and stop the town music at the same time when I start an event cutscene?

Thanks,

Drerius.

No no no.  I think VX is perfectly fine for you.  I'd say your game is already up and going and you should stick to it.  If you'd like to try XP, go for it.  It's just my preference.  Mapping is a bit different as you use 3 different layers, but other than that, everything is close to the same, beside the scripting aspects. 

Next, you don't want to use variables for the inn UNLESS something happens after a certain amount of times you've slept there, other than 1 of course.  Say... if you've slept in the inn 3 nights then you get kicked out, you'll want to use variables so you can keep track of how many times you sleep.  This is what you SHOULD do:

Make an event on the bed you need to sleep in.  Set it as player touch.  When the player walks over the bed, use a switch to activate the "slept" event.  I'd also call a save screen, an option to quit, and restore the party (But that's all up to you.)

Next, make a parallel process on the map you want something to happen on AFTER the player sleeps in the inn.  If you want something to happen instantly, make this event on the map with the bed, OR as a common event.  (just set it as parallel with the "slept" switch as the trigger)

Just make sure you turn the switch off, or every time you walk into that map the event will replay, or if it's a common event then it will just loop itself and you won't be able to continue the game.

Let me know if that didn't explain it well enough.

Well, the way I made it I talk to the inn keeper and she puts us to sleep for 10 gold.. and when I wake up.. how do I add something to the inn keeper's event that sets the event outside to be activated.so that when I walk outside I see the people standing there duking it out lol, but no sooner than I sleep in the inn.. I don't need variables for this? Would you like me to send you my game? (I want the people and event to be hidden and not activated [nothing there just hidden to the player] until I come back out of the inn from sleeping. I had it already it worked the way I did it but the problem is it's my first cutscene and I can't seem to remember how I did it lol. I sure hope I don't have this problem for EVERY cutscene.. the game will take forever lol!

I'm having more trouble lol.. two things

1. the event is activating BEFORE I walk into the inn.. I mean when I first walk right before the bridge (you know where my event is.) and only if I press the action button.. and it's not set to action trigger.. I've looked and can't find anymore bugs that set the cutscene to happen. none that are there or that I'm missing or accidently made

2. I used a sprite sheet generator.. and when I import it to vx it does this thing where it cuts it into like 20 pieces instead of 8.. ???????????

Did you try that $ trick?  Put a $ in front of the filename for your spritesheet. 

And I think you should link me your game again, lol.  I'll get it straightened out and this time I'll add comments for you.  I forgot last time. 

It sounds to me like you just overlooked something.  Hmm...

Well if you look at the other character sheets, such as "Evil"  you'll see that it has 8 different characters included.  That's because that's the format that the program needs.  So you have to make a custom charaset the same size, but you only want your character set 1/8 of the size, and up in the corner.  So you can choose it like you would with the other character sheets.

Cool, sounds good to me.

I've just imported a tile.. and I don't see it under my tiletabs.. it has a red dot under the Resource Manager thing.. but I don't see it.. nor can I use it. Do you know why this is? (the tile is that broken bridge I requested it got to me quick lol, very cool.)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.