Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

BGM change when cutscene happens???

HEY!

:tongue2:  I'm wondering how to change my BGM when I start a cutscene (music goes from happy-go-lucky town theme to face off battle music.)

How do I change it to that and stop the town music at the same time when I start an event cutscene?

Thanks,

Drerius.

maybe you should explain your situation exactly. using the play bgm command should stop the current bgm playing and start the selected bgm. you seem to have a bigger problem than just "how to changing music", so please elaborate on your problem

I set an event block to play BGM (I set a specific BGM) and put it to Parallel Process, so it plays the entire time I'm walking around my town. when I made an event cutscene, I wanted to change the BGM to fit the situation (more serious). so I placed a switch into the beginning of the event box for the cutscene and named it Change BGM. I went back over to the original BGM box and turned the Change BGM switch that I made to on under a new event page in that same box. under that new event tab I created a new BGM under the commands list. This one is set to trigger: action button. I've also tried it on player touch and event touch.. no luck.

HA! That does seem silly doesn't it? Well, I set it on the map, do I set the change in BGM under the same event block (different tab) as the original town BGM? Also, where do I place the switches in order to get it to activate and change when I touch my event?

Okay, I'm going to take this one for you, Luminier.  EDIT:  I just read the quote under your name and laughed for ten minutes.  I seem to recall that thread.  XD  LMAO!

Alright.  What you want to do is go to your map properties, and set the background music to whatever the town theme is.  Next, make an event that is triggered when the cutscene starts.  This means that it can be parallel process with a switch that triggers it, or maybe it can just be a character within the cutscene.  That part is all up to you. 

Within this event, use the command:  "Memorize BGM"  OR  you can simply ignore that step all together.

Next, set the new BGM using the "change BGM" command.  This will play your new BGM throughout the cutscene.  Then when the cutscene is over, you can do one of two things. 

If you used the "Memorize BGM" method, then you can now "Restore BGM."

If you didn't use the Memorize method.  Then simply "Change BGM" back to whatever you'd like, be it the town's original song, or maybe the cutscene ended up changing the town's mood and now there's a slower song playing.  That part is up to you.

Drerius, if you have any more questions about general rpg maker, feel free to pm me.  I like to help.  : )  Hope you learned what you needed.  If not, let me know and I'll elaborate a little more, or make a short demo for you.

em.. Yes, please, if you can I'd love a short demo with comments tucked where helpful. Thank you :)

Also, just to get this straight... a cutscene is where you make your characters move around and have dialogue right? or is it like a video? If this is not what a cutscene is please help me with how to do that too.

Thanks You're a great help, and you as well Luminier. Both of you thanks :)

Drerius.

A cutscene is where you lose control of your character and usually a very important bit of dialogue or action takes place.  These are used when the game maker wants to reveal some of the storyline or plot.  I think you're on the right page.  I'm going to go get my other computer so I can get some stuff worked out for you.  : )  Hope this helped in the meantime. 

Okay!  Finally lol.

Number 1.  I looked into your tileset deal.  I totally spaced that vx doesn't have passage settings, so I don't know how to add a custom tileset YET.  But I'm going to see if I can figure it out.

Number 2.  The demo is finished, and it might help you out in more than one area.  I tried to make it simple enough for you to dig through it, yet fill it with a bunch of interesting things, to give you a little sampler of what you can do with cutscenes and other rpg maker elements.  VX isn't my strongpoint, but I love the eventing it gives you.  The graphics aren't my favorite, but the engine is much easier to use, I think.  I hope you like the demo.  Just type in the random letters near the top right and then click download.  You'll have to wait about twenty seconds, but hopefully it will be worth it.

(A lot of people don't like megaupload, but I've had it for a while, and I'm too lazy to change.)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IPQLGVFY

EDIT:  Also, you mentioned a video.  You have to use a script to play a video.  However; if you're good with your timing, you can use eventing to do several pictures in a row and make a sort of... pseudo-gif image...  I wouldn't recommend it, however.  I've never used a video in a game before, but I know it can be done.  I'd start searching rmxp.org for an answer to that, if that's something you're looking for, that is.

HAHA! Wow! Very impressive! You even used our names! :)

Now, I think I've applied everything right.. as far as changing the BGM by watching your cutscene demo thanks :) .. but it's not working.. only restarting the original BGM.. also..

I can activate my event by stepping on the right event block (trigger: player touch) but only if I approach from a certain side... also, how do I make it to where the person playing my game doesn't have to step on ONLY that one block to activate the event cause if they pass it they can walk right up to the people and they will not activate.. kinda awkward haha! and... if I am able to make it a wide range of area or at least a few blocks to activate one event.. how do I make it to where it will not make the event re-occur if they step on a duplicate event block meant for the inability to accidently pass or not activate the event? ...make sense?

anyways.. here's my story so far.. if you are able to fix it.. please let me know exactly how you did it so that I will know for the rest of my game.

<a href="http://www.box.net/shared/b25bhsm3eh">Here it is!:)<a>

Thanks lol,

Drerius.

Alright.  The first thing I did was add a fisherman to the right bridge.  That way you can't cross that one.  You could have made a new event with a custom move route for the player to take, but it would have been a pain because of all of your screen movement (Which looks VERY VERY nice by the way.  I'm extremely impressed at how amazing the scene looks!!)

Next, within your event, you used "Change battle BGM"  This makes it so when you enter a battle, like the one after the cutscene, the music is changed to what you put.  You needed to use "Fade BGM" and "Play BGM"  On top of this, on the house up top in your map, you have three parallel processes.  The very right one changes the background music.  This is what keeps restarting your music.  I took that out.  And on your tint screen, I just dropped the sliders to around -100.  I'm going to play test it and make sure you can still see though.

Next, "Change Encounter" doesn't need to be used at the moment.  What this does, is make it so random encounters on your map can happen.  Using battle processing works just the same with encounters on and off.  Unless you meant for random encounters......  XD

Also, you have 4 characters in your party, and only one of them has a name.  I'm assuming that you only want one character in the party.  To fix this, you need to go to your database, then to the system tab.  I just clicked on the three empty spaces under Melik and hit the delete key.  This will remove the other party members, so they can't attack.  Also, you do know that your Darklord enemy can't hurt you, nor can you hurt him, right?  XD  You gave him the option to do nothing on every turn.  So every once in a while he will attack, or use fire, but almost 80% of the time he's just going to sit there.  Not sure if you planned that so he's easier to kill or what, but you might consider just dropping the rating on his attack and fire attacks, then dropping his hp drastically.  You can only do 1 damage on him since you have no skills whatsoever. lol. 

And other than that I changed your map a little.  It's quite creative, but has a few strange flaws.  Nothing a little practice won't fix though.  What's with all of the snowy graves in the water?  If there's a story behind them, then keep them in there.  If not, then maybe fix it somehow.  I think players would ask questions about that.  And to keep players from skipping events, that's all up to your mapping.  You need to map your players into corners.  I just added a wall that they can't cross, but there are much better ideas out there.  Like trees and so forth.  XP is better for mapping I think.  But VX has it's ups too.

Here's your game back.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QUQNKIU4

UPDATE:  Lol.  I messed up pretty bad.  First of all!  The player touch so you can't get over the bridge to the left has to be deleted.  The event can't walk through it to attack you, so the game just freezes... durh!  In place of this, you can add a text event ON the guy who attacks you, telling you to scram or whatever, then pushing you backward a space. 

Next, on the event that triggers the cutscene, before the bridge...  The reason you said this only works from one position is because of the way you have 2 event pages on it.  The first event page flips the cutscene switch.  Which isn't even needed at the moment.  The second event calls a common event.  Which means you have to walk over the same event twice so you can get to the common event.  You can do a few different things.  Take out the page that calls the common event, then use a parallel process for your common event and set the trigger as the "cutscene" switch.  Then at the end of the battle, turn the switch off so it doesn't repeat the whole thing. 

Or you could just flip the switch and add the call common event command right under it.  Then delete the second page in the event.  This is what i did.  It will automatically start the cutscene AND flip your switch on the first try.

Hope that helped... sorry I didn't see that.  *rolls eyes at himself*

HAHA! THANKS! Well, I figured out the BGM for the cutscene thanks to you, and I took a different approach to the bridge on the right. it's collapsed and under construction. I just wish I had a tile for a broken bridge lol.

wow, thanks, I've only been using an rpg maker for the past 3 days.. this is my first shot haha! :)

Now, about the darklord.. I actually want a battler that is THAT actor.. and not a random thing, ya know? Do you happen to know where to find one? I'd like it better if I was ACTUALLY fighting the same guy that I saw on the map haha! and thanks lol I didn't know why the battle system was acting goofy. Now.. I'm gonna go try to figure out how to make the battles fully functional. What did you say again about making my actor go into battle with the badguy? instead of using a random encounter thing.. what do I do?

Thanks for your time making that demo :) You're a great help once again.

Drerius.

Oh yeah, lol forgot to say: there is going to be a story behind the watery graves, I'm still thinking on it. The town is appropriately named Wintermourn and they might be fallen heroes idk lol. I might take a more original approach.

I love the town name.  Extremely creative.  I didn't think the graves were a bad idea, they just stuck out to me.  The battle you did was just fine.  I was just saying that you didn't need to change the encounter deal.  When you activate a battle like that using the battle processing, it has nothing to do with the random encounters.  And changing your encounters turns the random battles on and off.  I've never used a "change encounters" command before, though I have a game that probably would have worked well for it.  Instead, I just made an area with no encounters within a map WITH encounters, if that makes sense.

Also, the battlers are tough to come by.  I usually don't use VX because I like the XP graphics so much better, minus the battlers of course... VX looks really nice in that perspective.  If I were you, I'd do a search for VX battlers.  I don't know anywhere else you'd find one.  You'd think they'd have battlers to match the characters... but heck.  If I were a better artist and could match the battler's current style, then I'd try to draw him out for you.... but alas, I have a unique style that wouldn't match.

And the broken bridge tile.  It might be easy to find one actually.  Though it might be better to request one in the resource requests forum.  I'm sure if you posted a screenshot of the bridge, someone wouldn't mind making you a character sheet for the broken bridge.

: )  Glad you liked what I did.  Let me know if you need anything else.  This is the most helpful I've felt in months. XD  Thanks.

lol, I will request one thanks :)

now.. I don't know what I did.. but ends up that I messed up my event with the variables that makes it activate AFTER I sleep in the inn.. idk how to make it activate AFTER the sleeping in the inn. lol, I don't know what I did but I HAD it set up perfectly to work like that. lol. idk..

This whole variables thing is hard haha!

em.. if I switch to XP do you think I can transfer my same project to it? from VX? I sure hope so.. if not should I just recreate it on XP? or don't bother switching? what are the advantages of each?..disadvantages?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.