Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Asking for a revolutionary Anti-lag script

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you ever try to put the frame rate to a value like 2000?
A strange thing happens at that value, when you have too much events acting, it appears a kind of rallenty effect (for who doesn't know, it's the slow-down effect, like you see at cinema).
I make an example: If putting 40 fps as default, in a map with too much events you get lag.
What do i mean with lag? I mean that you have 10-20 fps so you don't see the game smoothly, but events do still move at the same speed. So it's like there are 30-20 frame missing every second.
If instead you put 2000, then you have a slow-down effect: you get to have less fps, and the events move slower too. There are not frame missing, it's perfectly smooth. But things move slower.
I think the RGSS engine does that, but i'm not sure, and i suppose we could use this thing on the normal frame rate.
The script i need should get that rallenty effect when the computer is not able to play the RPG smoothly.
Anybody has an idea on how we could realize it?
This would be a new-concept kind of anti-lag script.
PLEASE don't post about old concept anti-lag scripts like Near fantastica's, Lambchop or whatever. I don't need to stop the update rate of out-of-sight events. I really don't need that.

Thanks

Alexx

Mike, sorry to say but you have missunderstood the way rmxp... no, every single game works. What you need to understand is: Lag equals frameskipping.

Mike Portnoy said:
I'm quite sure that the RGSS engine FORCES the game to go at 20 fps, and that causes lag,
You cannot force a game to run at 20 fps. if the computer isn't powerful enough, it WILL slow down. No matter what. How will it slow down? By dropping frames.

Mike Portnoy said:
because the game can't slow down, and forced to have a 20 fps rate the only thing it can do is skip some frames, that makes the lag effect.
Somethings wont with this statment, you say RMXP is "forced" at 20 fps. Yet, in the next sentence you say it will drop frames when the computer cant hande it. If it's dropping frames, it's not 20 fps anymore, is it? If it drops one frame every second it's 19 fps, if it drops 2 its 18 fps etc.

Still don't belive me? Do the following: open your game and in windowmode press F2. It will show the current framerate (should be either 20 or 40). whenever the game lags, the framerate decreases -> it's dropping frames -> it's lagging. It's all the same thing and its the same way all games works. 3D games works the same way.

It's just because the original framerate is so low that you see it more easily in RMXP compared to other games that usually run at 60 fps or more.

It's the same thing with movies too. If you have a video where the source is say, 60fps. You can convert it to a lower fps and you wont notice much of a difference. It wont be as smooth of course, but it wont look laggy. However if you have a video where the source is 20 fps. No matter what you convert it to it will look laggy, like rmxp. 19fps looks laggy, 15 looks laggy etc.

Man, did you try to put the framerate to 15???
5 fps looks laggy... from 15 to 40 just looks slower, and that's what i want to get.
A Rallenty effect.
Lag is when you see a frame every second, that is 1 fps.
And, when you lag, you don't see all the frames, the system must force the game to follow the framerate so the computer has to skip some of the frames and jump to the next ones.
Try the sandgolem playtest rush: create a map with thousands of events, and start the game pressing f8 (that is having like 400 fps).
Instead of lag, you will get a rallenty.
It's totally different, things move slower, but frames are not skipped.
Hope you understood me, it's a bit annoying explaining every time all the people how the thing works... no problem i'll go on explaining to every one, every time, but at least i would like to have someone saying if it's possible to do.

Alexx

Man, did you try to put the framerate to 15???
If you actually set the framerate to 15, the game will slow down. this isn't the same as letting the game run at 20, and then lagging (dropping frames) down to 15. big difference.

5 fps looks laggy... from 15 to 40 just looks slower, and that's what i want to get.
Of course! that makes perfect sense. 5 is extremly low, so it will look laggy, 15 will look laggy too, but much less, so it just looks slow.

A Rallenty effect.
You have been using the word rallenty in just about every post you've made in this thread. Please explain what you mean and use a REAL word. Rallenty is not a real word.

Lag is when you see a frame every second, that is 1 fps.
No, lag is when the system drops frames when it's not supposed to. But it must drop frames because the computer isn't fast enough to render all of them.

And, when you lag, you don't see all the frames, the system must force the game to follow the framerate so the computer has to skip some of the frames and jump to the next ones.
Correct, I'm glad we agree on that.

Try the sandgolem playtest rush: create a map with thousands of events, and start the game pressing f8 (that is having like 400 fps).
Instead of lag, you will get a rallenty.

If you by "rallenty" mean "smooth" then YES OF COURSE. The more frames in the source, the less you will notice dropping frames. Just like i explained in my last post. You wont notice the lag when the source is 400fps. But if it's 20fps every frame is more critical. so it looks laggy.

It's totally different, things move slower, but frames are not skipped.
It's not different at all, it's STILL dropping frames, you just wont notice it because 400 frames every second is A LOT.

Hope you understood me, it's a bit annoying explaining every time all the people how the thing works... no problem i'll go on explaining to every one, every time, but at least i would like to have someone saying if it's possible to do.
I'm afraid it is you who do not understand how the system works. And your english is really bad, I think that is why most people here didn't understand you. My english isn't perfect either, but try to explain things better and at least use real english words.

Ok don't make it so long i just used a wrong word... Rallenty is a word used here in italy to indicate that kind of effect... (i thought it was english, as everyone uses it and really looks as an english word) like did you ever saw matrix??? When Neo must avoid the bullets and all the world slows down? Like that.
If, instead of immediately replying, you had tryed the script i talked about, you would have understood immediately.
Please write all my english language error so i'll learn from them.
And please explain better the "If you by "rallenty" mean "smooth" then YES OF COURSE. The more frames in the source, the less you will notice dropping frames. Just like i explained in my last post. You wont notice the lag when the source is 400fps. But if it's 20fps every frame is more critical. so it looks laggy." cause it's not clear at all.
I remember you that, and read this and fix it on your mind cause it's very important:
When the 40 fps lags, it comes down to 20 fps, okay. But speed of the things remain the same. If a character had to do like 20 squares in 20 seconds, it will take the same time, it won't be slower.
Actually, with the 400 fps, yes you get to 20 fps, but the speed of the character slows down, it will take like three time more doing the same action.
But everything is SMOOTH.
This is what i'm talking about.
Is it clear now or i have to explain AGAIN what i'm talking about?

And please people, PLEASE I BEG YOU, stop posting links to script with the old-anti-lag-conception.
I'm not asking for that, i know them, i tryed tham, it's not what i want.
It's completely different, is hundred kilometers far from what i want.
Would be the same to post a link to an RTAB script, or to the FFX-2 menu script.

========> http://www.metamorphosi.tv/hdoc/domani/utopie/archiviuto/rallenty.htm

@ LAMBCHOP:
I've got some questions for you:
1. How many events do you have on your screen at one time? More than 10?
More than 60. On the screen. It's a complete army moving. As nobody seems to understand what is the script that i want, i think in the end i'll come up with using just 1 event with the graphic of 60 soldiers... but still think that script would be useful for a lot of people.
2. Are you using overlays?
What do you mean?
3. Are you using any scripts that draw graphics to the screen?
Mmmm... maybe the weather effect or that kind of scripts you mean?
Anyways, not in that map.
Maybe i should post a demo to show what happens, with and withouth playrush test script enabled.

Ah, I see! I have an idea to help you with the army moving problem. I've seen it done in a different game and it looks great!

Make a spriteset with all of your army guys in it (copy and paste your army into one spriteset). This will help you get rid of all of those sprites. So, you will have one giant sprite on screen that animates. Does this make sense? I can send you an example if you need it.

Otherwise, you may have to actually custom code your events. To do this, study the Interpretor class. I'm going to work on this problem for my next game and hopefully have some "dummy" events for everyone to use. Dummy events will only have one function, and thus should not eat up time plowing through the Interpretor.

If you can post a demo, that would be great. I could take a look at it for you and see what can be done.

I am sick of this topic. I am tired of it being bumped and brought back up to the top when theres better request out there that are:

• Clear to what they actuaaly want.
    Most of this topic sounds like randomly rambeling than a request. You don't know what you are asking for. Period.
  • Polite
    I sickens me when pepole offer their assisstance, but because they didn't give you the answer first post or didn't understand your question, you frak out and call them stupid. Yeah, that's a smart move. Let me help too.
  • Worth it.
    My opinion is that the other scripts don't work is because your eventing is probably the real concern. Use them or don't, but don't put them down because you can't use them when countless others could.
    Do I need to go on?

With that said, I am locking this. Hate me, as I don't really care. I think everyone has warned and given you enough suggestions; you just piss on them.

Don't ask me to open it or make another topic. You will be severly warned.

Edit: Since lambchop wants to help, PM lambchop.

I hate to burden you lambchop, but if Mike wants help, please do this through PM. I just can't stand this topic anymore. I do opologize to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.