Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Ardency Reverie

http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/7751/logooi3.jpg[/img]

Note: Last update, 17th December 2006/Screenshots Section

Here is a brief update of screenshots, you can't see much difference but alot of effort has gone into scripting, creating

the sprites and i've been making an outdoor town tileset based on Inq's style used in his interior and world map tilesets.

An example of what i have so far on that tileset is at the bottom of these screenshots.

In these gameplay screenshots you can see the sprites for Will and Beth, and the Attraction System i scripted.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/8392/ar05ak1.jpg[/img]
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6518/ar06mg4.jpg[/img]
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6021/ar07pp5.jpg[/img]

Here's the progress of the town tileset, there isn't much to look at yet but it's coming along nicely.
http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/8172 ... iewxa8.jpg[/img]

These screenshots are from the early stages of development, the character sprites aren't final, if i can find an artist to

make better ones that would be great. It also shows the message system i've been scripting over night. It adds a much nicer

feel to the game.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3380/ar01el5.jpg[/img]
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/3223/ar02vd4.jpg[/img]
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/4815/ar03gc8.jpg[/img]

Let me know what ya think. Thanks.

You have just come of age, about to set on your travels. The dawn of a new war is about to break out and you are stuck in

the middle of it.

On the way through your adventures you will meet the main female characters of the story.

You will gain or lose their attraction based on the decisions you make; which in the end affect the outcome of the story.

The whole target for the game is to produce a dramatic, sensitive and interesting RPG in which people can play and hopefully

be able to relate to some of the situations you; as the player, will be put in.

The Name
Ardency
“Having, expressive of, or characterized by intense feeling; passionate; fervent.”

Reverie
“A state of dreamy meditation or fanciful musing.”

Many centuries ago in the world of Aletha in a small continent called Melantha there were three countries:

Lyris, Casia and Neridia.

From these countries sprung from the elder race of Homo-sapiens were the Demi-Human species: Elves,

Dwarves and Humans.

Long before the Demi-Human species ever existed, a war broke out between the two faces of Aletha. The two faces were like

opposing sides of a coin. One side called Grigorov and the other called Detria.

Grigorov was the underworld of Aletha, a realm of darkness where the dark spirits and Verinians resided.

Detria was the lighter realm. A realm where the pure spirits and Homo-Sapiens resided, it was a world of beauty and

divinity; untouched by evil.

These two realms were protected from one another by the Spiritual Shield of Erebus. Erebus is the eternal

protector and caretaker of the realms of Aletha who maintained the differences between both realms.

At the dawn of the 14th century of Erebus the Black War broke out. The Verinians and dark spirits of Grigorov

had found a way of breaking through the Shield of Erebus to expose their evil intensions to Detria and its inhabitants.

Countless lives were lost in a chain of intense battles which had broken out.

The guardian priest of the Homo-Sapiens; Thaedeus called forward his immense powers of divinity and shattered the

Grigorov’s curse. This curse had created a path from which they could travel through the Shield of Erebus.
After performing this miracle; Thaedeus had depleted all of his life-force and his entire spiritual essence was formed into

three eggs and sprung across the continent of Melantha.

Without the wise guidance of Thaedeus the remaining Homo-Sapiens had slowly perished over time; leaving a few traces of what

would soon become a forgotten race.

Many years had gone by, those three eggs containing the essence of Thaedeus contained different traits which they inherited.

These eggs had evolved and grown into the three modern species, Elves, Dwarves and Humans.

These species had little knowledge about their ancestors; the only knowledge they had obtained was the knowledge of the

traits they now possess; each to his own.

The Elves inherited the magical abilities of the Homo-Sapiens from whence they developed longer lasting life and

intelligence. They were the least emotional of each of the species and often made decisions according to logic.

The Dwarves had inherited the strength and agility of the Homo-Sapiens; they used this to their advantage and grew an

appetite for battle.

The Humans; the species to inherit the least amount of abilities from the Homo-Sapiens, they developed a high intelligence

and a strong emotional state of mind. They had lost the ability to think with logic and usually acted on feelings.

It has been at least a century since the Black War. Each of the Demi-Human species has developed in its own way, each

species unaware of the past.

You are a young adolescent, a Human called Will. You have just come of age and earned your certification in combat.

You are about to set out on your first adventure across the continent, leaving your childhood behind you and moving forward

and oblivious to the events which will slowly enfold.

Name:
Will
Race:
Human
Personality:
Will is caring, intelligent and sensitive. But he can be very cocky and big-headed. He loves to test his abilities and often

finds that when it comes to the female of the species, he is shy and insecure.

Name:
Beth
Female
Race:
Human
Personality:

Beth is bossy and is the type of girl which is often confusing and hard to understand. She puts on a protective outer-shell

but inside she cares deeply about the ones she loves.

Name:
Lara
Race:
Elven/Human Hybrid
Personality:
Lara is very secretive about her emotion, she often shows the exact opposite to how she really feels and makes out that she

doesn’t care much for those close to her.

Name:
Serene
Race:
Human/Dwarven Hybrid
Personality:
Serene is very sensitive and self-conscious. Her moods fluctuate and she can change from being happy to being angry very

easily. Serene longs to be accepted in the community.

Name:
Elena
Race:
Human
Personality:
Elena is very caring and loveable. She is very humorous and often makes jokes. When the going gets tough she knows when to

be serious and help.

Name:
Karissa
Race:
Elven
Personality:
Karissa is very up-tight and often finds that she can solve problems easily because of her Elven logic. Deep down she yearns

to let out her enclosed emotions but is in denial because of the idea of not being accepted for caring nature.

• Love and Attraction.
• Quest logs and targets.
• Decision based story outcome modifiers.
• Custom battle system.
• World map.

• Character sprites for battles and standard.
• Character art for cut scenes and face pictures on messages.
• Character battle animations.

The game is inspired by some of the situations I have endured in my life so far.
(Mainly the relationship or action based ones, like conflict and love.)

Other inspirations have come from games I have previously played or watched, such as:

1. Romancing Walker for RM2K
2. Secret of Mana for SNES
3. The Lord of The Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Below is the design document attached, it is in .doc word format.

Don't.

I like the screenshots. Although if and when Inquisitor ever releases his mountain area tilesets, I'd convert to them. They offer a much more serious visual than the RTP does.

Also, the emotion bubble is a bit uncharacteristic, unless that person is a particularly bubbly character.

I haven't read it, I've only looked at the screenshots. I'll take a better look when I have more time.

-EDIT-

After briefly skimming. I think you have something good right there. A few things, though.

First of all, Humans can't be a Demi-Human race. Demi-Human means something along the lines of part human, or descendant of human.

Secondly, be wary of using the name Will, as it is the name of the main character in Illusion of Gaia by Quintet/Enix (1994)

Aside from that, it's pretty solid.

And I thought my project doesn't get enough attention. I feel sorry for you :-/

Your world seems just an ordinary fantasy-world, but I have always thought, that there are never enough good fantasy rpgs.
Just try to add more original ideas. ;)

And btw, you could transfer those screenshots below your topic.

Thanks Prexus, personally i hate the RTP tilesets, they are too smooth and not rustic, where as Inquisitor's tilesets are excellent, but i could only find the world map ones and the interior. It would be excellent to have proper outdoor ones.

It has been changed since i made them screenshots, i'll get some new ones soon, also, i see that it has been put into RPG Maker 2000, it's an RPG Maker XP project. Thanks.

Also, my world is inspired and based of some great games and stories i have read or played in the past. I also want it to be loosely based on our past myths etc. I know it's not fully original, but atleast it's not a cliche story about a magical sword to save the world.

I must say, this project does look very interesting to me :) It has almost everything I look for in a project, demi-humans, cool tilesets(inq's), good scenes but however you don't have the fourth... non-rtp stuff :p

Oh well, It does look very cool.

Looks interesting. I like the setting and the somewhat greenish atmosphere. I'm a bit curious though how you will handle the abundance of female characters though. Speaking about female characters, no less than three of them appears to follow the "hide emotion within a shell" template.

Crystalgate;113664 said:
Looks interesting. I like the setting and the somewhat greenish atmosphere. I'm a bit curious though how you will handle the abundance of female characters though. Speaking about female characters, no less than three of them appears to follow the "hide emotion within a shell" template.
Well like i said in description, the experiences with girls are loosely based on my own, and alot of the girls i have come to known tend to hide their feelings at first. :) Thanks for the good replies.

Also, Berserker, i plan to take out the RTP stuff when i find some decent tilesets for outdoors etc. I need to keep it within a similar theme. I don't want one tileset standing out from the rest.

And, Prexus, about the Demi-Human thing, i mean human by being "man". Since in my world, all of the species originated from the original Homo-Sapiens they qualify as Demi-Humans.

I can't see what else you updated than the added screenshots. The new indoor screenshots are nice and while the screenshot with the town tileset doesn't look good, it does look like the tileset itself will be good. I wonder though if it was necessary to add three screenshots of a house we already seen two of.

Anyway, does the "mental" part indicate there will other types of attractions given numbers as well?

I updated it to show the new windowset, and the attraction system. There will be two types of attraction, Physica Attraction and Mental Attraction.

Physical Attraction will be influenced on things you do to physically, like combat, rescue etc. Mental Attraction is influenced by the choices you make, what you say to the girls.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.