Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Animating tiles in VX Ace

Bit confused. You can't choose tiles when using change graphic in a move route in VX, you can only choose the graphic. In XP, I'd choose individual parts of a characterset so as to animate doors and things like that. I have a tile made of a characterset with 12 frames and want to cycle through them, how would I do this?

To select individual parts the file name needs to start with !
If it's a single character sheet and not a collection of 8, the file should start with $
And if you want a single characters sheet with individual parts, it begins with !$
!$Gate1
$Bigmonster1
!Door1

Thanks, but it still doesn't let me choose individual parts:

Eaip6mk.png

Unless I shouldn't be using "Change Graphic" within set move route (that's how I've always done it in RMXP).

My bad. That's not what ! does.
manual:
Adding an exclamation point (!) to the beginning of a file name cancels the application of the four-pixel offset, and also turns off the translucent effect applied by the bush attribute. This is used mainly for object-type characters on maps, such as doors and treasure chests. It can also be used in combination with the dollar sign ($) special character.

I think you're going to have to animate by event pages. Or rearrange the sheet so you can animate it by turning, like the doors and chests.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.