Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Amy's Kingdom

Thanks!

Very early gravity:

ZWz4Ubh.gif

Not sure how it's going to :shades: go down.

Try removing the up/down facing frames of the characters (only keep left/right frames); doing that will probably make the game feel more 2D platformer and less top-down RPG.

But by adding depth to the platforms, the game has become a top-down RPG, and not just a 2D sidescroller. I think if Amy is going to keep the forward/backward movement, she has to keep the front and back sprites.

Now that I think about it, beat-em-ups often have depth but only left and right sprites. I was thinking mostly about Battletoads, Double Dragon, and the old TMNT arcade game. I'm sure beat-em-ups have come a long way since then, but I haven't played any of them to find out.

I'm going to try and get the Japanese platformer script working with my online stuff because I've just found out it's my scripts that are incompatible and not Galv's event spawner as I thought. Tested the other two in a project together and they work, so it's me who's broke it, and I woe stand for that.

But it needs a lot of tweaking. I haven't been able to make anything as good, but there's still a way to go with it. I don't like the jumping arc for example.

Honestly if I was undertaking something like that, just I'd delete everything and start from the ground up.
It'd be much faster to just write what you need than starting and stopping, wrestling with existing scripts. Writing nice, satisfying jumping and character movement is trivial when you do it from scratch, but I couldn't say the same about hacking it into an existing MV setup.

The trouble I always have is I spend so much time working on the mechanics that I never get down and make the actual game content. RPG Maker allows me to quite easily create the maps and events. I know what I'm doing and don't have to learn a new tool, etc. Right now I've decided to put seeing other players on the backburner because it's taking so long to do them that I essentially have no game at the moment. Once I have a game, with some actual stuff in, I can go back and finish viewable players because there'll be a reason to do it as there'll be a game that needs it. If that makes sense.

Right now I just want my players to be able to chat to each other while bashing milkymoos.

I think I wanna do a hallowe'en event. Just something small. A themed dungeon, item drops, and a multi-user boss. I want to set up the kind of thing one could expect playing the game over a year. Followed up with some December events culminating in the new year.

You're progressing along quickly.

It makes sense that the speech bubble shows below the characters because most of the interesting stuff is above them, and you don't want to cover that up. But it is a little unpleasant to me, just because I expect speech bubbles to appear above the characters.

Maybe if the chat box faded out after a time, and if there were more to look at on the bottom of the screen, or if the PC were located lower on the screen, then putting the speech bubbles on top wouldn't feel like such a sacrifice.

Also, is "getting wood" something that only 12-year-old American boys would snicker at? I might suggest different phrasing there.

All the enemies are gonna have purpose and storyline, so I guess.

There's already a secret cave. Do do do do.

Malloween will be based around lilspookums and bigspookums, plus of course the skelingator army. Woooo.

Chat position is actually dynamic based on your screen position, I'll tweak it so that the trigger is lower so it normally appears above. I need to exit font, size and placement anyway.

Possibly switching to Despain's graphics.

BQCLeIA.png

YZWri4D.png

Possibly with MORE CONTRAST:

JTBVlUf.png

I'll be doing it using parallax mapping, so my actual maps look like this:

3AJgA08.png

That way I can get the mechanics right but still have nice looking maps.

So I bought all of the Time Fantasy resource packs. Fecking hell there's a lot here. Just in animals alone, here are 84 monsters I can use. Add human or other sentient beings to this and we can have tons to start us off with.

Sl6rO4v.png

I am also considering playable races:

QLfwB4L.png

Now to my USP. Ditching the sidescroller idea means this is just a bog standard RPG. But I want to still have a unique selling point.

Playing games such as RuneScape again, the multiplayer elements are often now contained in small spaces - the Wilderness on certain worlds, the Grand Exchange, and Burthorpe town. You won't see many players elsewhere and even if you do, nodes are single-user generally, so there's not much cooperation.

So I am thinking rather than an expansive world to explore, as in most MMORPGs, the Amy's Kingdom world will be intentionally small, on purpose.

A tiny world to begin with but in which almost every element is interactive with not just you but other players.

Trees which you cooperatively chop down. Individual apples and such. You won't just pick up an object but thoroughly interact to obtain it, and alongside other people.

I want every design feature in my maps to have a purpose. Every upturned bucket, every bush. I'm not sure how I'll achieve this or how well it will work, but we'll see. Planning time.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.