Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

a graphics pack section?

I was thinking, this would actually save bandwidth. A lot of people have made graphics packs-- that is, a series of resources that go together. Having a section where those things are zipped would save bandwidth for the site and time for the users.
Example. All those 3dRPG Editor resources could offered as a single pack, or Tana's jungle pack, possibly an NPC project pack, and so on. I think it'd be very convienient and helpful. I guess to prevent abuse each graphics pack could count as, like, 30 points in the download manager.

The idea is naturally a good one, but it does have a few flaws to the idea- for example, a pack with everything El Felixio has ever done would be devastating to anybody who would download it.

There would have to be guidelines, though. Such as a pack must have a certain minimum number of resources of all the same style and theme, that it together.

Ultimately, though, I'd say it's a good thing. Maybe make a section and call it "collections" or something.

I almost forgot that everyone hates me, now I just remembered, but wait! My graphics are amazing! So everyone loves the graphics, but not when I upload them with my name. Hmm...They should just put a section under resources, because there's all those Character graphics sections and window skin sections, but no resource pack section. Where should it go? Panarama section?
If they put a limit of 60 or below with the same theme, then I'm screwed. I counted 67 of my graphics in the same theme catagory.

Danny

Sponsor

I like the idea. The concept of having a good amount of resources, themed or even just a large gathering of your own at a present time would be a good thing to have. It too would help member more easily locate a bundle of resources they need that fit together instead of endless searching. Although it could be a simple case of putting these into a norma USR topic, it's a great idea to have them all in the one place. I'm all for it, it would have been good for PSI if it hadn't bombed.

(which unfortunately, without ValentineEnigma's permission I do not feel comfortable releasing; just using this as an example)

Forgive me if I am incorrect, but didn't the Fear of Life game use ripped tilesets?

This could be potentialy good if they're managed right. Being able to find graphics of a similar theme and type could work (like RTP Royalty), but not stuff like "The Collected Works of ____", containing a mass of different resources in all catergories that nothing the maker's looking for.

Yeah, the packs would be based more on theme then on who made them specifically. Naturally. A hodgepodge assortment of resources that dont really mesh but were all by the same person(mine, for example) would not a good pack make. The pack would have a certain theme or at least consistancey throughout. Like my resized RTP, that could be a good pack(and it is a pack, at another site so it wont be here...:P but just as an example). But yes, this would also be very good for individual graphics which are, essentially, useless without their accompanying graphics. IE a cartoony style autotile is useless on its own, but useful packed with likened charsets, tiles, icons, etc. Or the 3d RPG guys, they stick out like a sore thumb around the RTP people, but they look fine amoungst each other and with prettymuch any tileset.

Tana

Well, as it is you can upload zip files to the DLM, and infact I've been considering consolidating the jungle stuff into a single zip file and just removing the individual pieces. But it would be good if there was a dedicated section for them.
^___^

Anonymous

I would say if it's a mixed pack, then it should get its own section (and I'll add one for them as soon as I get 5 minutes), but if it's, say, entirely charactersets, the zip should go in the characterset section.

Anonymous

Added.

And Serenade, not only was that out of character for "you," but really unnecessary.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.