Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

78573 | Born Under the Rain - Review by BeeAr

BeeAr

Here's a review for your game:

Plot: 7/8
The plot, while simple and sometimes mildly predictable, was presented with appropriate pacing. The game thankfully does not suffer from the "cram entire history of the land during the intro" ailment that seems to plague most RPG Maker Games lately. The story flowed very well. I would have given this a higher score had the story actually been more interesting at its core.

Visuals: 7/8
Another area of the game that almost begs for a higher score. The graphical elements meshed together nicely. The mapping was competent. However, while the map tiles were used well... I couldn't help but notice the sharp contrast in detail between the town and the dungeon. Whereas the town was filled with "the little things that count", from fallen debris to floor carpeting, the pyramid where you spend the vast majority of your time in... was devoid of detail for the most part. Entering the dungeon after leaving town shatters the illusion of polish quite abruptly.

Audio: 8/10
Perhaps the game's strongest point. I'm not familiar with the music used. I'm not sure if it's custom music specifically made for the game. But the musical selection was pleasing to hear. Not overbearing, and every score fit the scenes perfectly.

Mechanics: 5/10
Perhaps the game's weakest aspect. The skill synergy, skill progression, and enemy balance leave much to be desired.

Too many skills too fast... robs each skill of its identity. Add the fact that most of them are rather pointless during normal battles. For most of the fights, I just used one skill per character and called it a day. While it's true I probably could have sped up the fight if I ventured into the other skills... I saw no point in doing so. It was not until the boss fights that I actually felt the need to use anything else.

The entire combat system also feels forced and unnecessary. As if the systems are there just to have something there... whether they add to the experience or not is irrelevant. The combat tactics never grew past the following formula: Raise my stats, lower theirs, hammer them. Increasing the "difficulty" level of the game just means fights take longer. Sure some enemies heal, but they never seemed to affect what I was going to do next... which is hit them with the skill that does the most damage. These healers simply prolonged a boring fight. Never had a reason to do anything different.

Honestly the default battles and default animations would have been better... because they were balanced, and they would have been quicker.

Certain aspects of the game also lacked explanation. For example, you get a Relic that states it allows you to pass through a Rose Gate. What is a Rose Gate? Then it slaps you in the face when you find one because you realize you've come across one already and didn't even know it. A dialogue indicating it is a place of significance should have been implemented. It doesn't give the "We want the player to figure it out for themselves", or even the "We want it to be challenging" vibe. Instead it gives the "lack of polish" or "didn't have enough time" feeling.

Sure, you can make the case that the developer(s) didn't want to hold the player's hand... and there's certainly validity in that. But no matter which side of the fence you're on... the point is it wasn't fun.

Final Score: 6.75

Conclusion:
The game provided enough of a distraction to drop a few minutes here and there. I would consider this game a solid candidate for a visual novel. The story and musical elements scream quality, but the skills development and combat overall is too tedious and holds the game back.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.