Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[21/60] Xhukari - An RPG

I plan to create a game within Flash 8, Actionscript 2.0. I have not started the game development yet, nor do I plan to finish it within the 60 hrs. I plan to use this as a good way to kickstart the game project.

I plan to take Crimson Shroud, a Level 5 game, as my inspiration for this game. Which will mean the following for my game;
  • You move via map screen, from room to room.
  • Three characters within the party
  • There are no character levels, instead the party gains in strength through gear gained. (stats and abilities)
  • The game is graphics and animation light, with a focus on mechanics and story. Which play to my strengths.
  • Has dice based combat (I plan for more emphasis of dice in normal combat).
  • Items can be combined to increase the item's stats, or to imbue new abilities into it.

But I also plan some differences though;
  • Combat will have a strong play on combining elements and directions to create attacks and spells, akin to Magicka.
  • Each battle scales and will be difficult, akin to a boss battle. (You are fully restored after a battle)
  • Items can be broken down to the sum of its parts (but not all of them)
  • AI uses a threat based system, where circumstance and abilities used influence who the enemies target (a heal causes a lot more threat when used on lower health targets, or if repeatedly used to 'top up' a target, causing the entire party to actively try and 'shut down' that character).
  • Save combos within a list for single click activation of less used or hard to remember combinations.

Goals
  • Complete a minimum of five maps
  • Complete travel system
  • Complete mechanics of battle system
  • 20 items finished
  • Battle assets and attack animations
  • AI for enemies encountered in first five maps
  • Bare bones of story

Grid Mechanics
• Player can move 1 hex in any direction. Unless they have a horse, in which case they can move 2. Player cannot move in/over water without a boat, in which case they can move one.
• Several biomes of 'hex-lands', including; Field (posted), Swamp, Desert, Snow, Blighted, Cave, Dungeon. Each has there own types of hexes.
• Each hex type has their own random events occur, some are shared across multiple hexes. Random events are triggered when the player lands on that tile.
• Some hexes have pre-determined event types, these are randomly generated upon entry of the hex-land (every time).
• Random events includes the likes of (or options to...); trade, fight, pillage, find treasure, scavenge items, buy goons, buy a horse.
• Hex-lands are connected by four exit hexes. Water exits require a boat, can only go to other water exits.
• Events with several possible outcomes, when pre-determined, use a priority icon system of highest being; Horse, Goons, Treasure, Scavenge, Trade, Pillage, Fight. Which ever is highest is the icon displayed.

Battle Mechanics
  • Uses Magicka combination system, each 'element' is known as a Mark. The Marks include; Light, Dark, Fire, Water, etc...
  • Three Archetypes exist; Brute, Finesse, Smarts. Each Mark behaves differently with each Archetype (e.g., Light becomes Heal on Smarts, but Smite on Brute and Charm on Finesse.)
  • Combination system also includes directional Marks, which are not directly effected by Archetype; Forward, Back, Up, Down. (E,g,. Up + Fire from a Smarts could become a fiery torrent which rises from the ground from under the target.)
  • Combat uses a speed system, depending on the combination for an archetype, lengths or reduces the wait until they may act again. A Reflex stat also effects this speed.
  • 'Completed' abilities, known as Glyphs can be bought, these are finished Mark combinations, but they cannot be upgraded, changed or any other such thing.
  • Persistant and battle-based lists will be present, the former allows combination to be saved permanently. The latter allows combinations used that battle to be reused without having to reenter the combination.
  • Marks have levels, such as Fire II, Light IV. A combination becomes the lowest level within the rank, unless specified.
  • Battles will be purposefully hard, they will go after the weak link in the chain. And will try to shut down and/or spike damage their biggest threats or those near death.
  • Enemies will scale based upon your party's total statistics. Higher scaled enemies drop higher scaled loot.
  • Enemies within the Blight biome have a much larger minimum statistic count, and can easily roflstomp you if you venture too early/deep. Once their minimum is passed, they will scale as normal.
  • You automatically regain all health upon victory.
  • Each victory yields a lot of drops, the player receives an amount of Battle Points based on their performance, loot can then be taken from the corpses at the cost of the Battle Points required. Unspent Battle Points become Riches (in-game currency).

Character Mechanics
  • Gear cannot be sold, only destroyed.
  • Characters do not level up, only gain stats and Marks/Glyphs through gear.
  • Goon deaths are permanent. Gear is retrieved, however.
  • Goons can be bought in any of the Archetypes.
  • Each Goon passively reduces the amount of Battle Points received by a percentage.
  • 'Back-up' Goons can be purchased, their BP penalties are not taken into account until they become active. They cannot equip anything at this point.

May add some more mechanics later... #tired.

22/2/13
Added a swf and an image of the hexgrid. Also added some lists of the mechanics for aspects of the game. Also realized my goals were not achievable, but I'll leave them up regardless!

5/2/13:
Added some new details about the game, shown in red. Plan to start development later today, just got along day of University to get through first.

4/2/13:
I plan to add more details, including the goals later, but time is tight as a type this. Expect an update tomorrow or later tonight.

I'd like to see how you structure your game library and timelines in flash. I don't plan ahead and end up working backwards, nesting movie clips in movie clips in movie clips, and renaming all the instant names because of it.

coyotecraft":a0pq3lqt said:
I'd like to see how you structure your game library and timelines in flash. I don't plan ahead and end up working backwards, nesting movie clips in movie clips in movie clips, and renaming all the instant names because of it.

I have learned from that... I now always, at minimum, put the entire game in a movieclip. I then usually put all enemies into an 'enemy' movieclip. And using the labeling system, just have it jump to and fro within. This applies to attacks and everything.

Had a bit of time available to start work upon the die system within the game; you roll all your respective dice in this game by rolling your mouse over it. The die then spins, and generates a random number for that die. Location is randomised and colour are randomised from a preset of die colours. These values are then added to a 'die roll result' variable. You can only roll a die once too. :)

Slow progress I know...

I've made some more progress! 7/02/13:

Die system:
I went back and altered the die system, I made it so that just spacebar held down (or repeatedly clicking space) will roll the dice, as well as the rollover effect of the cursor. On top of this, I made the dice randomly generate in alignment to a grid, to avoid overlapping! It can be viewed here; http://megaswf.com/s/2555349. Try reloading the page a couple of times, you'd notice all the random nature I was talking about! :)

After that I began work on my maps. Now unlike Crimson Shroud's sketchy, grayscale map. I have decided to go with a lineless, coloured map instead. I have started work upon the mansion's mainhall as shown here;
mansionwip_zps82433cbb.png

Now that the die system is mostly finished, I can go into a bit more detail of how I structured it, for you Coyotecraft! On the main timeline, some variables get declared, which will be used beyond the die system, such as the result. Next I have a 'die grid' movieclip. This has a good chunk of the code for aligning the die to the grid via arrays and the like. Now I decided that the hard-cap of dice which can be rolled simultaneously would be 20, so I placed 20 die inside the die grid movieclip, and gave those objects near identical code, this is to perform the actual random location and colour, as well as identify whether a D6, D8, D12 or D20 die. Each of the dice within the die grid, is actually a movieclip; 'dice collection'. In this movieclip, each frame has one of the previously mentioned die sizes as a movieclip. Which within each of them, is a little tween animation on the graphics, and at the end, stops and generates a random number, relative to the die size which is added to the 'result' value. :)

14/2/13:
Work was going pretty solidly upon the previous map-style. But I have since had a re-imagining concerning this area. I have decided to scrap the previous map system in favour of a new hex-grid based system. This new style also allows me to produce more assets quicker, as well as open up the possibilities of multiplayer gameplay much easier down the line. Once I have produced some more of the tiles, I'll do another update. :)

17/2/13:
Made some good progress on the new hexgrid based system. Got some ideas for random events per hex type, at the moment I am limiting development to the grass land type. Currently working on some pre-determined icons for the grid types.

22/2/13
I am not dead yet, honest!
I have made a lot of progress on my hexgrid system, have a look-see!;
hexgridwip_zpsb4fcb3e6.png

But to properly show the random icons system, you'll need to see the interactive version.
http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1361484537

The icons aren't so random, each type of tile has its own random events when landed upon. Out of those, it randomly chooses a type of event (battle, trade, etc) and assigns it to the tile. There's of course more to the system than this, but I will include it in the new part of my original post!

Plus I'm still unsure about the scavenge icon (the vulture)...

i absolutely love the look when it pops up when you highlight it

edit: just fyi if you click and hold when its popped up and move mouse off, then unclick the thing stays up

2z6v0np.jpg

Wow. I agree with Plague. Its really cute that the land pops out when you select it. This reminds me of Settlers of Catan?
Still though, very cool. Great to see progress. Keep at it.

I won't lie, I have been playing a lot of Settlers of Catan lately. It was the inspiration for the change to a hexagonal grid rather than the original video game's map based system. But if you see the mechanic lists (updated first post after you guys posted, sorry!), that the mechanics are extremely different ;)

And I will see to that issue, thank you Plague!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.