Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[15/15] Meness - Side Scroller (Construct Classic)

Been meaning to make a side scroller in Construct Classic for a while now. With this development month, hopefully I'll get stuff done!

To be done :

Gameplay
  • Basic movement (completed)
  • Decide on combat or non-combat player threats (completed : combat threats)
  • Some game wide interactive elements on the map (not completed :c )

Art
  • Complete design for player sprite

Also to write up the script and some interesting characters.

Edit 1 : Changed the target hours as I only have a few days left.

I would love to share details but there really isn't that much to say :sad: I want the side scrolling to have the same feel as Super Metroid, so I'll be aiming to replicate its movement and such as close as possible. Recently I got the idea to have some areas of gameplay where you move in a top down view instead of side scrolling. I'm still trying to find a good reason and place to incorporate this though.

So today I finally got off my ass to do something. I did a character sketch. I'm not sure whether it'll be a grunt or end up as the main character but I guess I should share.

TUSKTUSK_zps4ae7ff65.png

I really have to work more on the systems though :/

Spent today spriting the previously drawn design. Still don't know whether to use him as an enemy, NPC, or playable character. Also I need opinions on whether the style is appealing; should I go with the black outlines?

tuskspritepreview_zps3f6a517c.png

Worked on the story in the morning.

Finally got to 10 hours, phew.

One more day!

The black outline looks good with that kind of blackground I think.
I'd recommend giving him a more in-action stance. Hunched forward, knees bent. Something that'll transition into a running and attacking poses.

Actually with that window size you might want to make the character smaller. You'll probably need space for some kind of Hud for health and points. If the camera positions him in the middle of the screen there isn't much room for to see above and below. I guess it depend on how the camera follows the character.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.