Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[11/40]The wonderful Hiccups glorious idea dump for NaGaDeMo

My game needs some working on I think.
There is a lot I'm going to add hopefully. So here I will post what I'll be working on:

• Map Scrolling
    I've had many ways suggested to me and I am greatful for them, however none of them feel comfortable. And in the end I need to make the system as comfortable for myself as I can. I'll be taking elements of all the ways that have been suggested and hopefully I will make something nice
    Enemy Shooting behaviours
    This is also something I've had suggestions for, and once again they are not comfortable for me. There are five types of enemies I'll be having: Random shooting. Set Turrot. Moving turrot. Random sword. proximity sword. The swords should be easy enough and I should be fine doing the shooting.
    Menu
    This is something I have never tried before, but I want a basic menu system where you can Save, equip items and check a map.
    Items/Items Equipping
    This is another thing I haven't tried before. I want to get items such as the bow and arrow and things like that to work and be equippable
    Dialogue system
    I'm not too sure how I'm going to do this, but I'm going to attempt. I have a vague idea of how I want it to look.
    General Story and Map placement
    I've got most of the story done and I have an idea of how I want it to pan out, I just need more indepth things done to the story and I need a rough idea of where everything is going to be.

Due to my current interest in spriting I'll be working on a few spriting goals:

• Finish a base template for both male and female sprites

Start and finish the Hero sprite

Start and finish the Heroine sprite

Start and finish general bad guy sprites

Start and finish main bad guy sprite

Work on some scenery for both D:UH and Granded Gears

Start on the "Machine" Sprite

Start on some Dragon sprites.
NEW GOALS:
With the progression of Forist coming along nicely, I wanted to focus upon it since it is a nice fresh idea that is relativity small scale. I wanted to have my first game published this year and considering how I am trying to keep Forist simple, I thought it would be a great one to go with. As my ideas are becoming more and more in depth, I am getting worried I am over complicating things, so I am setting myself a list of nice and easy goals that I can complete without being stressed.

• I would like to complete the main characters list.
    Make the map of the village and the forest entrance leading up the the Prayer stone.
    Run my first PAYED competition for resources.
    Get some good dialogue
    Finish a weapons and armor list.
    Figure out how to add some nice overhead scenery for things like "Light shining through the leaves."
I guess thats it. I've almost finished with the character list. The mapping is something I will be fine with I think.
With the contest I am not sure what is a reasonable price. I want a sprite sheet full of 9 different flowers (One flower in each different frame) but I'm not sure how much that would cost...
Dialogue might be a problem. I always make it sound too cheesy... I'll need opinions on it when I do it.
But yeh.

i feel like you have some good goals, you seem to be focusing on improvements rather then new stuff, which i feel is a super important area alot of developers forget :D cant wait to see what you complete

Vergessen":lbtyrnqa said:
i feel like you have some good goals, you seem to be focusing on improvements rather then new stuff, which i feel is a super important area alot of developers forget :D cant wait to see what you complete
I see what you mean...
I do need some new content in the game, however as I said, I need to be comfortable with the way it works.
There will be new items and the menu will be new. Infact I might work on them first, but I feel the scrolling is rather important to work on too.
Perihelion":lbtyrnqa said:
Good luck with your game! What sort of thing are you making? Your goals are a little unspecific.
Ah yes, I should have said!
I'm working on a top down zelda styled dungeon crawler, hopefully with somewhat similar mechanics to the original zelda.
I'm making it on Construct2, an engine I am somewhat farmiliar with however I'm not amazing with it.

OKAY
So yesterday night and today I did a bit of work on my game.
Well... Sort of...
I get distracted easily and started working on a different idea. BUT THAT COUNTS!!!
The new idea:
You wake up in a chamber with weird shining gears and pistons turning and moving. Nobody is about and the air rings with the ominous clanking and shifting of the mechanical structure. As you step out of your chamber you arrive in a grand hall, as big as a town with lots of stares and doors leading off to different rooms. As you explore you find out that many of the doors are locked and it feels as if you are being led somewhere.
After you have followed the path you arrive at a large room, it is all dark but in the distance you can make out a red light. As you walk towards it lights flick on.
You arrive at a machine that comes to life as you approach.
The machine tells you of who you are, why you are where you are and then he tells you your destiny.

"When god gives people a gift, he gives them a mission."

I've also been doing some sprite work, although I'm not good at spriting, I think these are... Okay:
Some pistons, there is another frame, but I'm not too sure on the whole thing yet
s91i4

So I wanted to make a general template for some characters and I started out big with the one on the left and gradually made it smaller. I think I'm going to keep it at the one on the right, the current size is 36x24 (I think.)
I used cfrankb's sprite editor, so thanks for the huuuuge help there man, I'll write what I think about it in you thread.
s8w2m

Edit: Grand. The images don't work. T^T Open them in a new tab I guess...

So I've been working most of today on this sprite sheet and I'm not going to lie, I feel as if I haven't made much progress. I've got all of the "down" animations pretty much done, I think I should make the head bob a bit, but else it is fine.
The reason this sprite was possible was because of the tutorial on shading I received from Darwin (I think he's from RRR, He hangs out in the IRC a lot)
Anyway, yeh. This is what the "down" frame looks like:
sac4j

Might have to open it in a new tab...

I quite like that down frame!
But I can't help feel that the arm/leg combination is awkward.
Try walking and taking note of how you move, or look at your signature... right arm forward, right leg back, left leg forward, left arm back...

This would produce a more realistic animation for movement. :)

This isn't working...
I'm going to develop D:UH as a story as well as Granded Gears. HOWEVER I am going to start on something new. Something short. Something I can see results with right away.
AN RPG MAKER GAME!
So introducing Forist (Working title)
I pretty much have to story and stuff worked out.
Yeeeehhhh
So new goals will be made.

I feel like I have to do this cause since the other two aren't getting anywhere and it was stressing me out.
Work with what I know for now I guess :P

On the up side, I might be running some contests for Forist. More details later.

RIGHT! AWESOME! SEXY!
I HAVE DONE SOME WORK. Okay... So it isn't anything done to the actual game like mapping, but it is the character bios and the Class Guide.
You can read them here: Character Bios and Class Guide

Let me know what you think. You can comment on the doc.
Also does anyone want to do some art or spriting for me? :P

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.