Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[11/100] amy

The 100 hours goal is just there because I need one; really the goal is to have Star Cadet released in beta form at the end of the month. I think this is achievable. Hopefully the 100 hours will be far exceeded.

Current progress:

Hours 1-3:
Finished the map auto-updater. When a map is opened by the game, the game checks it's version in it's file name. It asks the server for the new version number and checks the two. If it is different, the old map file is deleted, and a new one downloaded. Works fine, tested extensively, and this vital system should be ready for beta.

Thanks guys.

This has took a few hours with very little progress. Working on the next part of the autoupdater. But, the map updater has now broken along the way, so I need to fix that later too. This is turning into a bit of a mess.

It will be worth it when done though!

Currently the game checks the version of Actors.rxdata, if it's out of date, it downloads a new file. For some reason, this file is corrupted in the process, which I need to sort.

The client side of the autoupdater is now finished for everything except for scripts, I think. It needs a lot of testing.

Edit: Beep beep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J770po4Y7Zc

Sorry for the poor quality of the video.

Ok so there are five different "autoupdaters". They all work slightly differently.

Finished are:

1. Map Updater
Checks to see if there is a new version of the map you're trying to load available. If so, waits while it downloads and then opens it. Runs on a map change only.

2. Systems Updater
Checks before the game loads whether any /Data/ files have changed (other than maps). If so, it waits for them to download and then runs them.

3. Graphics Updater
Checks if a graphic is missing and if so downloads it.

Those three all work fine, apart from a problem with file deletion (so potentially the disk size could get quite high). I hope to solve this soon.

The next to be created are:

4. Audio Updater
Works like the Graphics updater, but not using the graphics cache.

5. Script Updater
The tricky one and I'm going to have to consider how to do this well.

Graphics updater finished, deletes old graphics along the way.

Scripts updater finished, but turned off as it's annoying while testing.

All that's left is the audio updater, which I will sort when I am actually using audio.

:biggrin:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.