Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Would you write that?

I'm sure a lot of you pay attention to storytelling in movies and books. Analyzing what makes them good or bad. But recently I started asking the question "would I write that?"

I saw a manga the other day where a bully threw a girl's phone over a ledge and the protagonist jumped out to catch it without thinking how high up they were. It's suppose to show that he'll literally jump in to help someone without thinking. That's great storytelling. But would I write something like that? I don't think so.
I've always struggled with hyperbole or amping things up. Confronting a bully at the risk of getting punch would have been suspense enough for me. Jumping over the ledge and falling sounds more exciting, but I think it also made the character look really stupid (even though on some level I think everyone know it's part of a magical destiny that they already know is coming)

Luck & Fate. I don't think I could write stories like that. I'd just filter any ideas that are too unbelievable.

I'm fairly certain I'll never write for kids.

I sort of understand where youre coming from. This I especially can see in Paul Thomas Anderson films where Im like this isnt the craziest of plots, nothing game changing is really happening here but when I try and pay attention to the diaologue and individual events I think to myself How could I ever come up with that? The conversations are so organic and obvious but at the same time not about things you'd possibly think of while writing a script.
Another good example is the second movement in Pulp Fiction, the famous Royale with Cheese conversation that plays out between the two characters up until they actually get to work. Its such a dumb conversation and it sounds like it could actually happen. Yet, all of this conversation is fictionalized, and Tarantino had to be sitting at a desk somewhere either with tons of voices in his head or just a genius and natural talent for dialogue

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.