Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

User profile contact information

Which contact details do you think should be included on user profiles?

Twitter, facebook, etc.

At present we have the not very useful:

Private Message
MSN
AIM
YIM

Basically everything after PM there is obsolete.

My vote is;
Facebook, Skype, Email, Twitter, G+, Steam

And it would be cool if little icons of each of these appeared under the Location: part of a user's post, would save a few clicks.

I'm thinking add as many as possible, and only show the ones a user has filled out, while telling users to pick their top ten or so from the set.

I have added several (just to profiles for now, not next to posts), but as I don't use most of them I can't really test them. Anyone who wants to, mind going in and editing in some profile IDs?

ucp.php?i=164

If you just edit in the ones you want (at the bottom) only those will show, as icons on your profile.

I dont farcebook or googleSpy+ so I vote dont even bother. Not everyone wants to have anything to do with facebook, or live in a glass house. And no, I dont approve of all the tracking and selling of private data either. Fedbook can piss up a rope for all I care.

That reminds me. I've avoided entering my email address in profiles for a long time because I was told that's how most spam finds it's way to you. Are we using any kind of protection so personal information doesn't show up in search results. Like Robots.txt or whatever?

The only way to protect your email like that is to not post it and only give it out to people you want to have it. No amount of tech wizardry will solve it (in fact wrapping it in protection that is later worked around by the bots highlights it as an important email address). Bots don't have to listen to robots.txt (it's essentially opt-in as you have to program it to).

On not liking Facebook: This is all entirely optional and nobody is saying JOIN FACEBOOK AND TWITTER; you have the option of not entering anything at all.

Sauk

Sponsor

Heretic86":ul6madz6 said:
I dont farcebook or googleSpy+ so I vote dont even bother. Not everyone wants to have anything to do with facebook, or live in a glass house. And no, I dont approve of all the tracking and selling of private data either. Fedbook can piss up a rope for all I care.

I feel like the facebook option would be for someone's professional profile instead of their personal one, such as their indie game company (if you'd call it that), or as an inexpensive portfolio for artwork catering to hobby game developers.

That being said, maybe a soundcloud option for all of those involved in music/sound production? I should have read more carefully and have no helpful input anymore.

I need to fix the standard contact box (broke it by the looks of it), but will wait until this bit is finalised before doing so. I also need to add tooltips.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.