Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
The Mirror Lied

The Mirror Lied

7MB and as short as 20 minutes in length.

Story:
A birdie flew over the roof yesterday. He said he'll fly over again today.

But he landed on water.
Hi birdy. Are you still there?

Tick, tock,

tick, tock.

Bam.

Gotcha.

MLss1.jpg

Characters & Setting:
A faceless girl in a faceless world.

MLss4.jpg

Music:
An entire original soundtrack composed by yours truly.
With a grand total of 1 song.

MLss3.jpg

Interaction:
Nearly every item on any map is interactive.

Length
~15-30 minutes.

MLss2.jpg

*This is not in the "horror" genre. I think.

I'll be honest, if this was from anyone else, I wouldn't give this a second look. I'll edit this post when I get through playing :)
Edit: I'd like to give this an honest edit but..
I turned on all 3 switches, and went into another room, and I couldn't move. Did I die or something?

a girl deciding to shoot down a door with a pistol... I'm not usually the type who's for being attracted to playing games for stuff like that, but it does look interesting to see what happens XD

downloading now :D

I have to say, to anyone unsure about whether or not to play this...
PLAY IT.

Anyways...
I finished this about thirty minutes ago, after betaing it and running into a few problems, but now I'm done.

I have to say, this was definitely something else, which I'm fairly sure was what you were going for.
This is now my new favorite short game, which says something.
I also love the OST.

Hell, aside from those minor bugs I mentioned to you on MSN, it's incredible.

Thanks for giving it a try, guys.  :smile: And thanks, gratheo - glad you enjoyed it.
Again, this is not for everyone, but it just might be for you - so give it a try for its tiny size.

monkeydlu":2351z2kx said:
a girl deciding to shoot down a door with a pistol... I'm not usually the type who's for being attracted to playing games for stuff like that, but it does look interesting to see what happens XD
It's probably not what you think, heheh.

Necrile":2351z2kx said:
I turned on all 3 switches, and went into another room, and I couldn't move. Did I die or something?
Oh? Which room and time was it? Sorry about that. And nope, that shouldn't be intended.

Wow, just finished the game. Unbelievably trippy.
I still don't understand though, who was the birdie? Leah?
Edit: To reives: It was only a couple minutes after the switch gets unstuck; and it was the room with the computer, dresser, and a sink.
Edit2: Yeah, this game is amazing. I still have an aftershock of awe. You need to go into professional game development.

Wow, that was an absolutely outstanding little project there.
I especially loved the ending. Truly brilliant. I would play this if it were a series. Seriously.

Reives, question for you

I did complete this game first go with no problems as such, but was there meant to be a fire that i slept through (phone call said sleep it off)

Yeah, there was. If you'd turned on the third switch in the basement some time after 3:26, the house would have caught fire.

I'm not very good at games like these, but either this was a bug or it's jsut creeping the life out of me >_>

I was sure there was a cabinet right there just a minuet ago! D: In the room with the long table and the bread basket, I checked them and then went around the room in circle came back and they were gone O_O AHH

And I missed all the phonecalls! >_>

Bael

Everyone should play this, just for the WTF-ness.  I rarely enjoy RM games, but this one I completely enjoyed.  Definitely not normal, not your run of the mill RM game.  I wonder if everyone's interpretation of it is what Reives thinks though. :) Wonderful short, mind-fucking game!

Sorry, Leah disappeared when the house caught fire and I left the room with the computer...

oh and you can climb a wall in the room down the first staircase.

Thanks guys, glad it was of some refreshment.  :smile:

First of all, I have just fixed the bug that was reported - when you step out of any room with a north door during the fire it'll freeze. The current download no longer has this problem. The game does not end there, sorry about the glitch - It ends when the credits start to roll. And it ends at midnight.

And yes, Pure, that was intended. And nope, that wasn't a bug, monkey.

Again, sorry about the glitch - it is now fixed in the current download (same url). c: If you have the old version don't want to redownload, simply head straight upstairs.

I just finished it... I had to restart becuase I was too confused without the phonecalls, it was really amazing.

loved it, even if you say it's not horror, it's one of the scariest things I've played for rmxp, spooked me quite a bit >_>

it was really fantastic though, and that map... yeah, very spooky XD

The phone calls will catch up to you for the most part; don't worry if you miss one. c:
This can grow creepy if you imagine it to be. And likewise, if you don't, it won't be. It's what you think it is.

Thanks for finishing!

Oh, how long did it take for you guys to finish, by the way? I imagine that it might be well over 15 minutes since that's almost just a straight run-through. The end is when the ending credits appear.

Man, if you guys enjoyed this kind of stuff and own an xbox 360, you should try either of these two series, Condemned 1-2 or the F.E.A.R. Series cause they give this exact same effect, it creeps the life out of me when stuff like this happens in games, especially if you play them in the dark.

took 20 mins for me, and it was creepy, walking about a house with a bear that jumps arround the bed :P, and randomly setting off a fire, then going to bed only to wake up and it no longer being a blaze.

I was also a victim of the fire glitch ^^;

I was enjoying it so far though, so I'll probably restart it and try to finish later after I get some work done ;)

I really liked it :)
I'm not good at these kinds of games, so it took me about 36 minutes (Yes, I know I suck). But I really did enjoy it! Kinda creeped me out too.

especially that teddy bear

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.