Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content Super Mario - The Other Side

Dead content awaiting restoration.
Super Mario

T h e O t h e r S i d e

Hi. I would like to present you the game, which I did for the competition on a website. The task was implementation of RPG game based on a popular game for NES. I decided that a good theme will be Super Mario.
The game is short, for around one hour of fun. The majority of the resources in the game is original. In creating the music helped my brother.
I hope you will like this game.

STORY
The game shows the known history of the other parties. Mario is a merciless killer, and the player embodies the role of one of the hundreds of creatures killed by Mario.
I cannot say more because game is very short.

PICTURES

LINKS
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A5O3FH6Y
http://rapidshare.com/files/176224030/S ... io_TOS.rar

I'm sorry for my english I use translator.

Is this a full game, or just a demo? If it's completed, I can move this to the proper forum.

Also, do you think you could explain a little bit about how the game is played? It looks like the battle system is different than most.

Oh, and are those custom graphics? Just wondering.

The graphics look really neat, and although the concept of seeing things from the eyes of Mario's enemies is nothing new, I haven't seen it in a game. Will be trying this out soon. :grin:

Yeah, as Lumi mentioned, I want to hear about how battles will be handled.

Yes, the game is full. The graphics are my own, as I wrote (only one is not, on finish).
The system is turnbase and simple. It is done with event. The game is short so it was no need to do complicated. You can only choose between attack and defense. One team member has a special attack.

moog

Sponsor

Ok so Im playing it now, and so far its pretty cool. The opening is funny and I like the idea of mario being a villain. The music variates well, from deep pieces to mario tunes. Its a standard cliche but done interestingly.

The field roam is excellent and interacts just like a mario bros game. You can go down pipes, hit blocks and collect coins like a standard mario bros. I thought this was really implemented well.

The battles, however are imo where the game crashes and fails. They move very sluggishly and left me bored. The idea is cool, but its too basic. The battle music also left me snoring. There's also no sense of character development through exp, so dodging battles was the smartest thing to do. All in all, I really hated this battle system :/

Besides that, the graphical design looks wonderful, and the interaction with everything is a plus. I wish some of the tunes were a tad more original, and I wish the Goombas had a distinction in names, but oh well.

A couple of things I have found wrong however are still translation problems in some areas, which could leave the player muddled.

Ill play a little more, but overall so far this game is neat too look out and mess around with, but not that enthralling as a whole.

Edit: Oh, I just realized coins were the exp. You should make them less easy to obtain, its easy to level up.

Nin

Good work putting this together, but the battles ruin it. They are so slow paced it forced me to stop playing. Making it more interactive i.e. the Paper Mario battle system would make this great.

I am glad that overall you like the game. Battle system really is not too dynamic, but there was no time to refine it. The game was made in a week. I hope that you will convince to finish it because the last fight has cool special effects. And it is short - one hour to finish.

Yeah, the battle system is what really brings the game down. You don't need to have it evented. I was under the impression it'd have some sort of real-time element, like the Mario & Luigi games, or the Paper Mario series. (not including the most recent one) That'd really make the game stand out. The graphicd are definitely top notch, and you've successfully managed to do what I've never done before playing an RMXP game-laugh, at the scene where the Goomba village was devastated. Kudos to you on that, I needed a chuckle. :thumb:

The dialogue could use some improvement, although I understand that it's hard when English is not your native language, so I won't say too much about that. (Lines like "Oh no! He jumped towards the village! Let's go see if everyone is ok." and "I want to die. But Mario dies first!!" were among some of the weakest, but it was definitely livable, unlike some games I've seen.)

It was hard to tell who was talking, especially between the two Goombas. I didn't like the message box window either, it was a bit too bright and distracting. And one thing about the character sets, when I walked as the Goomba, it never really seemed like I was walking. The feet barely moved at all, so it seemed more like gliding to me.

I didn't mind the music too much, nothing special but nothing to complain about. Like moog said, you want to get more exciting music for the battles.

If the battles had a more interactive element, like other Mario games, then it'd be a huuuge improvement, because that's probably the main thing holding this game back. Even just adding more special moves or moves that can be performed by multiple characters together would make the battles a lot more enjoyable. For this to be made in a week though is impressive, to say the least. I haven't played the whole thing yet, but it's a nice, light-hearted game, something I like. :grin: (can I ask, what was the website where the competition was at?)

i liked this game, a lot.

My only complaint is that later battles, against bobombs and koopas took way too long. They had too much health and you were still only attacking for 1 HP per hit.

Hi. With Goombas it is on purpose because they are all similar. Website of competition is rpgmaker.pl.
When the team will include Bob-omb, you can attack for 2 HP.
Thank you for opinions. I will do better in next game.

RPGS

Oh this is cool ! An it remins me of the Koopa´s Revenge game, cause there you are also playing at the "enemies" side :) Great work, I´ll download it !

Super Mario games are not yet known. They are the most successful popular games in history. Many variants of these games were created for different systems.The game Super Mario Brothers came with the NES. This game has a two-player mode. The good has to face many obstacles, some of them, including the difficult paths of enemies, and jumping height. During levels, the character gains points, get extra lives, and scored several power-ups. Some power-ups are fungi, which increases the character and there is a flower, which gives the firepower of character.

mahjong connect

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.