Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Final Wish

[Small] Final Wish

Title.png

Description

OK here's the deal. This was a game I started for a contest on RM Phantasy. I wasn't able to finish in time (it was supposed to be a one-week contest), but I finished it the next week. The theme was the picture displayed in the title screen (minus the title). The game isn't too long, averaging 30 minutes when I played it, since it was intended to be done in a week.

Honestly, this isn't great. You might even say it sucks because it isn't uber-custom and uses the RTP. But it was supposed to be finished in a single week and I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to stuff like this. Also, this is borderline in terms of the guidelines of the forum, but the game is complete in terms of having a beginning, middle, and end. It's not really long and it doesn't have a lot of content, but it isn't "in progress", either. So I dunno.

Features

There admittedly isn't much custom material, but here's what's in the game:
  • I used the default battle system and tried to make the battles challenging throughout the game.
  • There are four general areas:
    -The entrance, where you'll fight a few battles. (If you lose here, just try again. Sometimes luck is against you.)
    -The left room, which is dark. You'll be able to face a variety of enemies here. They re-spawn if you exit and re-enter the room, so you can do some grinding if it's necessary later on.
    -The right room, which is a series of three alike puzzles.
    -The control room, which is where the final battle takes place.
  • A custom windowskin. (It's not exactly unusual, but I've got to fill this list up somehow. ;))
  • "Sight Range" enemies in the left room, which will run towards you if they see you.
  • Also in the left room, I've used events to create a light around the player while darkening outside your view range.
  • A challenging puzzle series. (They're actually easy once you figure them out, but figuring them out should be a challenge.)
  • The final scene should really leave you thinking about the characters. It's a little wordy, but I had to cram it all into a short span.

Screenshots
Screenshot1.png

At war with Earth? And it looks like Earth is losing...

Screenshot2.png

Watch out! Getting in the sight of an enemy will cause them to run towards you!

Screenshot3.png

Look confusing? The sign is important. ;)

Download

It's hosted on Mediafire and it has the RTP included, so anyone can play it. The download is 32.52 MB.
Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?2yknenqmxzt

Need help with the puzzle?

If you're really stuck with the puzzle, you can find the answer below. I want you to try, though! If you're frustrated, use this. A game is supposed to be fun, after all, and getting extremely angry shouldn't be a part of it. Just highlight the bar below to see what it says.

Blog Entries

Behind the Game: Final Wish

Downloading as I speak, gonna edit later, you know the drill.

EDIT: Okay I played up until that overpowered guy, who supposedly had no soul, killed me. I have to say the puzzle was interesting, but most of all, the storyline was actually really interesting and I wish I could play more to find out what happened! I honestly think you should beef this up or remake it using the same storyline. Pretty good for a one-week game.

Yeah, I was thinking about making custom graphics and generally making it "prettier". Thanks for taking the time to play it! I'm glad you like the story, since that's what I always try to focus on, but you haven't gotten to the best part yet. :wink:

Sorry you got stuck on one of the battles. I did a last-minute stats customization, so I tried to edit everything to fit the new stats. That means the last couple of battle might be difficult. If you're having trouble, you just need to get up a level or two by training in the left room and the battles will probably be easy enough to get through. I attempted to create a difficulty level increase toward the end, but it didn't work out as good as I had hoped. XD When I tested it, I was able to defeat both of the final two bosses at level 8 with good Restore timing and at level 10 they should be a breeze.

It looks quite promising, so I'm downloading it right now. I'll edit my review in once I played a bit through it...

Edit: Finished it in roughly 26-27 minutes. 'Twas an interesting game to say the least. However, in a review, it doesn't matter to write as little as possible, but the total opposite. I never ever reviewed a game, so bear with me. Anyhoo, here goes:

The literature of the game (y'know... The text in general) was kind of flowery at times, but that's not a bad thing. As soon as I gain control of Salvation, though, the typos during the part with the outer guards overwhelm me. Was this intended?

But let's continue... I started with the left room first. The first thing I noticed was that the light ball wasn't very central on Salvation, but that doesn't matter. One contra to that, however, is the fact that I can't simply run into an enemy to begin a battle. I have to get directly into sight of it and then wait for the battle to start. This can get quite tedious...

After figuring stuff out (and getting ambushed by cloaked enemies once and three imp guards multiple times), I got what I needed and went out and into the right room. I read the sign and got some stuff written in foreign language. This didn't help me much, so I touched balls (or orbs... sorry if it sounded a little perv) on trial-and-error until I made it through.

And we were back off to the entrance room. I saved, opened the door by use of the key and immediately got ambushed by the battle following. So I went back to the left room and grinded from Level 6 to Level 8.

Back to the hallway... This time, I managed to get past the trio, who are the second hardest enemies of the game (third hardest being the group of three imp guards), and went back to replenish and save. Afterwards I came face to face with Heriin, the hardest enemy in the game. The conversation before the battle was quite interesting to follow - great job there! I replenished again (this time, Salvation suggested it for once) and then I went onto the final map of the game...

Yet another astounding conversation you fabricated there! And we were off to the final boss battle. But for me, it was over before it actually begun. This was it? THIS was the final boss!? Hell, he was a weakling! ...if that's what he was supposed to be. I bet I could've beaten him with my measly six levels before actually grinding if it hadn't been for the two battles beforehead. Anyhoo, with reading the final lines of the game, I felt a little sorry for the species the final boss belonged to.

Pressed down once, Enter once and went back to Firefox to review the game. Now we are here...

It hasn't been a bad game. Not at all! It was well done for being created in a week (or two). If you'd accept, I could translate this little game into German. What do you think?

Thanks for reviewing it! I'm glad you enjoyed the game. :wink:

Was this intended?
Yeah. The outer guards are meant to speak monotone, and I tried to represent this by using all lowercase. It was the best thing I could think of to make them appear monotone. ^_^;

One contra to that, however, is the fact that I can't simply run into an enemy to begin a battle. I have to get directly into sight of it and then wait for the battle to start. This can get quite tedious...
It's one of the problems I encountered, as well. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to rectify the problem. It's one of the things I plan to fix when I go back and re-vamp this.

This didn't help me much, so I touched balls (or orbs... sorry if it sounded a little perv) on trial-and-error until I made it through.
Hehe...I'm thinking I should up the damage for getting a bad answer. I wanted to make it interesting yet not too bothersome to figure out. Perhaps I'll make it so you have to figure out the puzzle and add in a clue or something.

Afterwards I came face to face with Heriin, the hardest enemy in the game.
And we were off to the final boss battle. But for me, it was over before it actually begun. This was it? THIS was the final boss!? Hell, he was a weakling! ...if that's what he was supposed to be. I bet I could've beaten him with my measly six levels before actually grinding if it hadn't been for the two battles beforehead.
I certainly need to go back and re-work Heriin and the final boss. I'll hopefully find a way to get rid of the necessary grinding, as well. My last-minute stat editing apparently didn't work out as well as I had hoped.

Again, thank you for taking the time to play the game and write up a review. Everyone's comments are giving me a much better idea of what I need to change when I re-vamp this.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.