Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content Razkertim

Dead content awaiting restoration.
http://www.razkertim.com/razkertim/logo.jpg[/img]

http://www.razkertim.com/razkertim/title2.jpg[/img]

Download the official release here:
http://www.razkertim.com/razkertim/downloads/Razkertim.exe - Last updated 1/28/08 (final part 1 bug fix release)

If you are having problems, i.e., getting an error related to Auto-Font Install or are unable to access the Nays Passageway, please PM me

Estimated play length: 10 hours

Changes in this version:
- Fixed a lot of bugs
- Redid the journal system

Note: This is probably a no-brainer, but you need the RTP installed in order to run the game as the game archive does not include RTP files.

Premise: The King of Rheum's daughter has been kidnapped by members of a dangerous cult. Rather than give in to the demands of the cultists, he summons the Twelve Heroes of Delonesia before his council. Your father happens to be one of these Heroes, but an unfortunate incident results in you taking his place at the castle briefing. After much thought, you decide to take on the task of rescuing the princess in your father's place.

The Game: This is more or less a remake/redo of an RM2K game I made years ago. This isn't your typical RMXP game, there is a huge focus on interacting with NPCs, and triggering cut-scenes by talking to people or doing stuff. There is also a crapload of treasure in this game (since I love RPGs that have lots of treasure). Lots of little optional things to do and lots of weird quirks hidden throughout. I won't be spoiling any of it in this project thread however.

http://www.razkertim.com/razkertim/_manual/male_hero.jpg[/img]http://www.razkertim.com/razkertim/_manual/female_hero.jpg[/img]
This is you, the Hero (age 18). You get to pick your gender and answer a few morality questions at the beginning of the game to determine your hero's personality. You are the first born of a local adventurer named Meracon who was anointed a Hero of Delonesia about two decades ago. When the King of Rheum's daughter is kidnapped, the Heroes of Delonesia are summoned to the Rheum Kingdom so that they can be told of the situation and embark on a quest to rescue her.

Your father is summoned, but breaks his back before he can make the trip to Rheum. He asks you to go in his place.

You can learn basic magic spells, rudimentary weapon battle skills, and can equip almost every weapon type.

http://www.razkertim.com/razkertim/_man ... snarry.jpg[/img]
Sedsnarry Artihuate (age 17)
A precocious girl who dropped out from the Academy of Magics where her parents are both esteemed scholars and her brother graduated valedictorian from. Although brimming with potential, her self-esteem issues have so far prevented her from attaining her true ability in the magical arts.

You find her roaming Achlansburg, the small fishing village where you grew up, and upon hearing of your quest, she finds it as an opportunity to prove herself and gladly joins.

Sedsnarry specializes in fire magic. She can equip staves, maces, books, and daggers.

http://www.razkertim.com/razkertim/_manual/katedyre.jpg[/img]
Katedyre Denueve (age 19)
An aspiring singer whose stage name is "Kattixie". She has her own band. Unfortunately, times are tough so her main source of income has been freelance mercenary'ing with her brother, Ricallo.

She is currently living in the basement slums of the township of Galatia.

Katedyre's battle skill "Talk", allows her to randomly rant during battle, which produces results that can be either useless (display the enemies' names) or useful (display the % of health left for each enemy). Later, she can equip musical instruments that turn the "Talk" skill into "Sing", which produces better results more of the time.

Katedyre can use all four major weapon types (sword, axe, spear, bow) in addition to minor ones (dagger, musical instrument, whips).

http://www.razkertim.com/razkertim/_manual/ricallo.jpg[/img]
Ricallo Denueve (age 22)
He had been studying alchemy at the Academy of Magics but was expelled after being framed for the theft of the Grandmaster's Staff. He went back to Galatia to join his sister in the mercenary business.

Ricallo's Alchemy skill allows him to create potions with available ingredients. He can also disperse multiple potions during battle. Also, when he uses a single item, its power is amplified by 50%.

Ricallo can use all four major weapon types and also daggers.

http://www.razkertim.com/razkertim/_manual/redian.jpg[/img]

Redian Rubenstein (age 20)
A lowly womanizing mage from the small village of Ewyes. He never misses an opportunity to hit on any girl younger than 30. He has tried taking up summoning as a way of attracting girls. Despite his various attempts at getting girls, he seems to have very little luck with them.

Redian can summon monsters in battle. The monsters take up actual character slots so the party has to have 3 or fewer members in the active party for Redian to perform a summon. The summoned monster is around for duration of battle or until it dies. Redian also knows basic magic spells and specializes in wind magic.

He can equip staves, maces, books, and daggers.

http://www.razkertim.com/razkertim/_manual/morse.jpg[/img]
Morse Pally (age 16)

A young priestess from Faerum. Prophecy dictates that she will meet a hero and accompany him to defeat Gaf Halloran. The prophecized hero is Ardineigo, but she mistakes you to be that hero instead. She is very selfish and looks down on others who aren't on her level or greater.

Morse can utilize "Prayer" in combat, which is the only set of healing/restorative spells in the game. She can equip staves, books, and whips.

http://www.razkertim.com/razkertim/_manual/bowen.jpg[/img]
Bowen Bellsroy (age 30)

Bowen is a game hunter who lives in the Inner Continent. In his youth he was a party companion of some previous Heroes, including Panda and Destrager. Together with Destrager, he helped exile Gaf Halloran into the Inner Continent, and he remained there to keep a close watch and make sure that Gaf did not try to escape. Unfortunately, over the last few years, Gaf's army has been building up and with support from neighboring Faerum, Gaf began his invasion of the cities in the Inner Continent. When Bowen's house comes under attack, together with your help, he fends them off, and decides to help you put an end to Gaf's free reign of the land.

Bowen's innate hunt ability allows him to attempt to one-shot kill any monster of the 'Beast' or 'Fish' races. The success chance of this attack depends on the remaining HP % of the monster and whether it is a regular ol' monster or a boss or rare encounter. Killing a monster in this way not only nets experience and loot, but also a special monster hide drop that can be used for cooking, mixing, or selling.

Bowen also has some exclusive bow weapon skills, has an innate 3x damage against Beasts, and has a Cooking submenu that allows you to create food items that temporarily boost your stats in battle or for a few in-game hours.

Bowen can equip daggers, swords, bows, axes, and spears.

http://www.razkertim.com/razkertim/_manual/ormasiel.jpg[/img]
Ormasiel MacKenzie (age 25)

Ormasiel is a strange nutbag of a man that you find hiding on an island somewhere. Despite his looks, he is not a vampire of any sorts, though little children tend to run from him in fear that he will try to suck their blood. Ormasiel lacks any sort of tact, often speaking his mind freely and saying the things that the party does not want to say to the weird townspeople sprinkled throughout the world.

So what does Ormasiel do exactly? He is a mage of sorts, but does not have any offensive magic spells nor does he excel at using weapons (He can only use daggers, rods, and books). His spells mainly alter elements (either allies or enemies) and inflict status effects. Ormasiel can also learn the two most powerful spells in the game, Polymorph, which transforms any enemy in the game into any other enemy (some enemies can only appear via Polymorph) and Holocaust, which kills every random encounter in a dungeon.

http://www.razkertim.com/razkertim/_manual/lenedime.jpg[/img]
Lenedime Limestuel (age 15)

Lenedime is a thief that you first encounter in the thieves' guild in Razguul. Getting into the guild is a rather complex side quest. Once in, you must race Lenedime to the end in order to qualify for membership in the guild. By beating her, she will ask to join your party since she has nowhere else to go after being rejected by the guild.

Lenedime has no magic spells or weapon skills, however she does have a wide array of thieving skills, such as steal and mug. Some of her thieving skills are activated on the map, and allow her to do things such as detect hidden treasure or determine where the nearest exit or hidden passageways are. These skills have a fixed amount of usage per day (for instance, Lenedime can steal unlimited times but she can only use Dowsing 25 times a day).

Game Features:
  • Weapon and Armor Durability. Each piece of equipment in the game has its own HP that gets depleted in battle. Repair Hammers can be used to repair weapons to full HP.
  • NPC Conversation System. For the majority of NPCs in the game, when you talk to them, you get a 'Chat/Look/Other' conversation menu that can give you more information from an NPC. You also use this menu with NPCs who are merchants, trainers, Innkeepers, and more.
  • Party Management. At every town with an Inn, you can switch to the viewpoint of one of your party companions or disband your party and look at your companions hanging out around town. They rejoin simply by talking to them and choosing the 'Join' command. There are unique cut-scenes you can discover just by disbanding your party and exploring towns on your own.
  • Day/Night System. NPCs will be sleeping at night, and usually doing their job during they day. Some NPCs have random schedules so that they might not be in the same place at the same time always.
  • Mixing/Cooking Systems.
  • Shortcut Menu. Pressing the A button brings up a shortcut menu that provides easy access to party management and commonly used spells such as Warp. You can also use the Shortcut Menu to talk to your party members (like in Dragon Quest VIII).
  • Mini-Games. I'll leave players to find out what they are.
  • Somewhat Non-Linear Plot Progression. The story path is fairly linear, but how you get there is determined on your own.
  • Default Battle System. Yeah, I currently use the DBS, mainly because I like turn-based non-active battle systems. There are heavy modifications to the system, such as using Prexus's battle algorithms and multiple battle commands (each character has 6-7 options to choose from). You can also change your party in between rounds and change your equipment in battle without losing a turn.
  • No Random Encounters. All encounters are visible on the map (though most of them are not in predefined locations and are randomized). On the world map, random zones appear that you can enter one time, and you can fight monsters, find treasure, and even interact with NPCs in these zones.
  • 100% custom monsters. All monster battlers are drawn by myself and a couple other people, which I think adds a little charm to the game (my art is vastly inferior to the default or various japanese battlers out there, but it adds some uniqueness to the game).
  • Personality System. Your actions can affect your personality (such as choosing to offer a torch to a poor mage who can't see in a dark cavern). The Personality System allows you access to certain things or get different reactions from NPCs in certain cut-scenes. However it does not affect the main storyline (in the sense that if you play as an incredibly evil person, you will still be able to beat the game and get a decent ending).
  • Bromides. Find full colored 640x480 CG's well hidden throughout the game.
  • No Game Over. When you die, you just get warped back to your home, fully recovered (no gold or exp loss). You can even run away from bosses (they tend to mock you when you come back to fight them).
Screenshots

Credits (not a full list):
Direct contributors
  • Scenario and Game Design: Diedrupo
  • Character Designs: Ultema
  • Story Assistant: Ganonfrog
  • Assistant Writer: Cygnea
  • Bug Fixer: Trickster
  • Mapping Assistant: Havana24
  • Battler Assistants: Rye, Ultema, Atnas, Q-Man
  • Sprite Assistant: Ciela
  • Bromide Artists: Yaoumei, Ultema
  • Title Theme Composer: Reives

Indirect Contributors
  • Publicly available scripts by: Sephy, Trickster, Prexus, RPG Advocate, Selwyn, Raziel, Ccoa, Kylock, Sandgolem, Wachunga, Fukuyama
  • Primary RTP/Graphical Edits Taken From: Mack, Strawberry Quartz, Sithjester, Naramura, Atelier Pickle, Jyuhonpo
  • Music: Ocremix, Atelier Nonta, and pretty much every other japanese music site listed in the RTPers links.

Wow Diedrupo, wow. When you see a new project looking this good in Early Projects it really catches your eye. You have outdone yourself.

Love the title screen. Love the character art, is it by 'Ultema'?
Character Designs: Ultema
Ricallo Denueve has a huge resembelance to Diego, a character in my game.

The features look hugely impressive, apart from the character art these our the major eye catcher. However it seems like all this adds a huge amount of work. I was shocked to see you already have 3-4 hours of gameplay. But are all the features implemented in the current game time, are they all completed? I considered a weapon and armour durability system myself.

As for the story, which i usually nit-pick, well theres simply not much of it yet. Pointing out that it seems cliche would be a waste of everyone time as we simply can't see enough yet. It doesn't grab you like the rest of the game does.

I was a bit dissapointed when I looked at the screenshots. Not because they are bad, I just expected a huge amount. Strangely there is only one outdoor screenshot, but the mapping doesn't look too bad.

One thing I hate though, is the windowskin. I really think you should change it. Doesn't look good and doesn't seem to fit the atmosphere that seems to be coming across from you project thread.

I'm open to using other windowskins. I have an option menu where you can change it...

I deliberately did not reveal more of the story because I'd rather people get that from the game, heh.

This looks awesome. Great artwork, I'd really love to see a demo for this. Awesome concepts here. When I see more and more great projects like this popping up every now and then, it rekindles my determination to release something just as good. Good luck on this!

Ratty524;263124 said:
Finally a good project thread!

I have never heard or seen an RPG game in general that's like this. Good luck on the project.

I'm not exactly certain what is so unique about this, but hey, maybe Ratty hasn't seen many RPGs.

Not that there are necessarily and glaring Cliches or anything. However the motivations for your character joining the group are, as a point of fact, attrocious. Someone joining up just to prove themselves or because they happen to be a mercenary isn't compelling. The chick who joins you based on some prophecy is slightly more interesting, but only if it's done well.

I'm also not certain if this game is supposed to be funny, serious, or somewhere in between...

Finally, I'm not sure if I mean this as criticism or not, but your character names are extremely weird. It's also difficult to figure out just how they are suppose to be pronounced - is Katedyre pronounced "Katidire", "Katideer", "Kayteedyre" or what? It's clear you were trying to be imaginative with the names, but it may have gotten a bit out of hand. Honestly, it's hard to say.

If I told you the game isn't very serious, would that make you more accepting of the character motivations? :P I mean I hardly expected that sort of criticism coming from the person behind Canadian Knights.

(I don't want you to jump into a rant defending the motivations and purposes of the characters in your game either, I just think that if a game isn't 100% serious, it shouldn't be expected to play by all the rules of good narrative. I expect people to play my game for a laugh in addition to having a decent RPG experience)

arcthemonkey;263362 said:
I'm also not certain if this game is supposed to be funny, serious, or somewhere in between...

Ya see, that's just the thing - I can't tell if it's supposed to be serious or not. I'd consider a lot of things differently if I knew!

I didn't mean to upset you or be hyper critical, but you have to admit that the names are a bit outlandish for something that, based on the premise, seemed at first to be leaning on the "takes itself very seriously" side.

The same thing goes for why people are joining the group. The whole thing goes down much better if it's being done for comedic effect. Somebody joining a random group of strangers to prove their worth can be quite entertaining, but if we are talking about a dead serious bit of the narrative, it seems a bit silly in its own right. Maybe if the hero is actually activelly recruiting people or something, but I've always had an issue with random people saying, "Wait! Let me join you! I've got something to prove!"

That is the single most arbitrary way of adding people to the group imaginable.

wel i saw you say you are willing to use other window skins... i think that would be the best thing to so... maybe look for someone to make a picture based menu... the game looks nice and simple :D (pick up and play)

cannot wait to get a go :D

EDIT I only just saw what monkey said.. sorry to say but i think he has a point.. .. sorry

arcthemonkey;263400 said:
Ya see, that's just the thing - I can't tell if it's supposed to be serious or not. I'd consider a lot of things differently if I knew!

I didn't mean to upset you or be hyper critical, but you have to admit that the names are a bit outlandish for something that, based on the premise, seemed at first to be leaning on the "takes itself very seriously" side.

The same thing goes for why people are joining the group. The whole thing goes down much better if it's being done for comedic effect. Somebody joining a random group of strangers to prove their worth can be quite entertaining, but if we are talking about a dead serious bit of the narrative, it seems a bit silly in its own right. Maybe if the hero is actually activelly recruiting people or something, but I've always had an issue with random people saying, "Wait! Let me join you! I've got something to prove!"

That is the single most arbitrary way of adding people to the group imaginable.

I totally agree with you that if my game's plot and characters were serious, what i've written so far would make for a terrible game. ;) I was hoping the comedy in the game would be implied by the descriptions and screenshots.

I will update the thread to let everyone know that this game is indeed, primarily a comedy.

See... I thought this was supposed to be a serious RPG :/ I didn't pick up a comedy vibe at all!

Arc always makes good points. Right not I am trying to work out how to get one party member join the other two in my game. It is harder than you think to make someone join with a valid non-cliche reason.

I have never heard or seen an RPG game in general that's like this. Good luck on the project.

How do you get the post under your rock then? :P (joke ratty)

I can understand where people's concern about the humour is coming from, since, I have to admit, it wasn't very well covered in the topic itself. However, I think that in the end it's probably going to be pulled off fine. *Shrugs* You just need to make it a little more obvious here.

In general, it looks great. I knew a lot about it before you posted the topic, since I helped out a little, but this made me even more excited to play. The character art and extra features are what really caught me. ^^

Anyways, good luck, and I'll be sure to play your beta demo as soon as possible!

I think the best thing you've done here is the character art. It could've been more stylized.. But I'm just in love with Final Fantasy character art and yours works without that because it's original. Great work. Photoshop?

WOW this project looks goregous, btw I love the name of the Mayor, I can see an obvious character trait just from his name.
Mayor "Molestore" like Molester i'm guessing, lol... very clever!
Keep up with this project, it looks very good and promising unlike a lot of projects here :)

Hehe there are a lot of strange names in this game.

The official demo release is about a month or two away, it's almost there! I still have a lot of work left... (I'll post about it in my blog later)

You have a lot of really neat sounding features. Your project sounds very promising.

To nitpick, your night screen is a little too dark and blue. Lighten it up a touch so people can still see whats going on and the details of your maps.

darkace77450

darkace77450;267103 said:
You have a lot of really neat sounding features. Your project sounds very promising.

To nitpick, your night screen is a little too dark and blue. Lighten it up a touch so people can still see whats going on and the details of your maps.

darkace77450

Suggestion noted. I'll mess around with that before the release.

can't help but notice many of the features of this game are what dragon quest games use. won't hurt the game, but you are definitely influenced by that series i can tell. but, all in all i like the idea here and all of the features together would be very cool.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.