Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Ninja Penguin

Ninja Penguin

npbannermw7.png

WAIT WHAT JABER IS ALMOST DONE WITH THE INTRO?
AND IT ONLY TOOK LIEK A YEAR OR SOMETHING :U

New Demo! No RTP Required!

Everything works now! Sorta!
Just... skip the title movie because I'm an idiot and forgot to delete a show picture command when I deleted a picture.
I forget if that crashes it but it's not like anyone reads the credits anyways...

Maybe someday I'll actually finish the bloody tileset! :u

Controls for the ABS section:
S - Attack. You can time it right to string together a quick combo, but it won't help at all in this fight.
Shift, Z - Defend. You'll guard facing one direction as long as you hold this. It reduces damage taken
             from most attacks. Obviously you'll have to be facing the direction the attack is coming from
             for it to do anything.
A, Q, W - These are the hotkeys. You can set various skills and items to them.
D - This opens up the ABS menu.

Inside the ABS menu:
Left/Right Arrows - Switches between  the skills/items lists.
Up/Down Arrows - Moves the cursor up/down the list.
A, Q, W - Pressing one of these will hotkey the currect selection to it. If the selection is already hotkeyed
              to another key, it will erase it. I might change this later on, but I really don't see a need to have
              2+ keys use the same item/skill.

newdemo1dn5.png

You are correct, sir.

newdemo2yf0.png

Down to the village...

newdemo3xe5.png

This is more of a hint, really.

newdemo4xv4.png

Through a burning house...

newdemo5hj7.png

He's lucky you came along. Maybe.

newdemo6rp7.png

More screenshots can be found here: http://ninjapenguin.info/screenshotsp1.html

Bad Jaberwoky, no treat.  At least report your old thread next time, please?  For me?  :<

Anyway, you know how much I love your Ninja Penguin thing.  Good luck on the graphics and all; I look forward to seeing more.

It probably looks bland because it's not as shaded as say, the RTP. I'm going for more of a cartoony feel because A. I suck at shading, and B. I think it fits style of the game pretty well. I'm not too fond of maps that try to cram every possible thing they can in there. This is a village, there's not going to be bunches of tall grass, weeds, bushes, whatever strewn all over the place. As for the text, if it's the spacing between the lines you're talking about, I don't really see how it effects gameplay. Besides that, if I leave a bit of spacing in there, I could add some things like... say, increasing the font size of a few of the words quite a bit. Thanks for taking the time to write a 5 word sentence fragment, though. I especially like how you ommited any examples, suggestions, or explanations that might help me improve the game. >_>

And sorry, Atemu. I didn't think it was still here @_@;

Copypasta'd from CA:

Just finished up support for 2-handed weapons:

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3746/2handedoj6.png[/img]
You can't equip shields or offhand stuff with 2-handed weapons, but they tend to be more powerful than 1 handed weapons.
It's all part of the bajillion weapon system Ninja Penguin will have o_o So you'll be able to change how you play by what type of weapon you use...

Also added support in shops:
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6773/2handed2tk7.png[/img]
And you'll notice that the stat display also takes into account that equipping a shield will unequip the double daggers.
[/copypasta]

Also, it's not in the current demo, but with Zeriab's help I made a much faster method for checking Pengzoda's attack areas... So if you've been getting some lag right before he attacks or on Pengoku's 2nd combo hit, it'll be fixed next time. I'll also make sure to include more potions or weaken Zoda's attacks a bit. Speaking of which...
Since so many people are getting their asses kicked by Pengzoda, here ya go: http://www.mediafire.com/?cgdwdrhyszz
Save file with as many potions as you can carry >.>

Had to find all the bugs myself... *grumble* -.- When you get out of the blocked attack cutscene in the fight, I forgot to include the line that redraws the icons for the hotkey display, so it'll look like your hotkeys reset. They're still working, just the icon will be missing until you use a hotkey or something.

I'd really like some more feedback, other than that half-assed sentence from someone who never even tried the game =_=
Lemme know if you find any other bugs, too...

And I AM working on the tilesets... kinda sorta maybe... not really >_> Eventually. I'll at least finish up the cliffs on this one so it doesn't look as funky, or if someone wants to volunteer to help out with tilesets, that'd be nice, too >.>;

I love the original graphics, cute as hell. I'd love them more if you did original tiles too. In that style it wouldn't be very difficult.

Holy shit- how do you do that comic bubble effect thing on the message boxes? I've seen ways that used pictures and stuff to add it, but yours seems to zoom right in on the character sprites- I want that baaaad.

It's pretty simple actually...
You just need a big black bubble like this:
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/3271/messagedownavg1.png
a white inner bubble like this:
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/8769/messagedownds0.png
and a string like this: http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/3555/talkdownleftfv2.png
The tip of the string is right in the center of the picture.
Then you show the blak bubble on say, picture 20, the white bubble on picture 22, and the string off-screen on picture 21, set some variables to the targets screen X and Y, then move picture 21 to those variables...
Like this: http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/5369/examplemq9.png
Lets me just set the 2 variables then call a common event that pops open the window.

nice game, but my opinion is, on the battle with your brother, make it simpler, it takes forever to get a hit it. hard battles are meant to be died in, then retried till beaten, but u cant die in this one.You should make it a little easier and give ingame directions to let the people know how to play, incase  this game is circulated without links.

Please don't necropost! Read the date of the last post!

-JD

T-T-TURBO BUMP

Almost done with the intro! After a year or something! Yay!

New features include:
- Penguins getting hit with bricks!
- There are now different cutscenes depending on the number of penguins you save!
- Dancing!
- Fixed the "permanently disabled if you use an item at a certain time" bug!
- Fixed the NP guage disappearing bug!
- Re-balanced difficulty!
- New non-laggy crafting menu!
- A new bug that may or may not crash the game if you watch the title movie because I deleted one of the pictures that was no longer needed but forgot to delete the display command for it so just skip the title movie because you don't care who made the scripts anyways most likely!
- Another new bug that really doesn't matter as much where Pengzoda faces to the lower-left instead of left because I forgot to change it!
- Less lag in general!
- Really bad puns!

http://www.mediafire.com/?n2fmtxv1x0w

Also you can actually die now!

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9898 ... ickic1.gif[/img]
:eek:

Yeah, it's just the intro. The length depends on how many of the penguins you rescued, as does the cutscene at the end.
All of them end up with an endless loop of Zoda getting bricked though.
I still crack up every time I see Pengoku do the Kirby dance X3
If you haven't figured out how to rescue the penguins yet, look inside some of the houses. I made the bucket a lot easier to see by putting in on top of carpet this time. The puzzles should be easy once you think about it. Maybe. >.>

Finally starting to work on the stuff AFTER the intro, though @__@
My goal is to have most or all of the game influenced by the choices you make (Including rescuing penguins in the intro), so sometimes it takes a while for me to come up with a branch that I'm happy with.
For example... If you rescued both penguins, I'm thinking of having Pengoku walk up to the one that was injured (and is now near-death), and having him punch him.... which will completely heal him.
Followed by Pengoku striking the Fonz pose and going "eyyyyyyy" :D
I should also at least finish the rest of the cliff tiles in that tileset, as well...

Anyways, I've worked on the intro long enough. Next demo I make will have quite a bit of stuff after the intro. A lot of it is actually already made, and just needs a few tweaks to make it fit in with the world better...
I actually already have the systems for the GIANT ENEMY CRAB almost completely worked out, so I'll try to aim for at least that far before I release another demo... Which means Mitzy, finally! And possibly an entire zelda-style dungeon using the ABS! Maybe not the boss, though... Depends on how lazy I feel. The AI shouldn't be too hard, but I imagine that spriting giant penguin-mechas is a total bitch. >_>;
In fact, I just thought of how I want the whole thing to play out after the swamp... Which means you'll also (finally) be able to go fishing, for one thing. Going to remove the 'cast exactly where the target is' thing and make it 'cast in the general direction of the target' possibly with a force guage, because right now you can pretty much nail fish in the face with every cast, which pretty much nullifies all the things I added to make it more interesting. Also, I want  Pengoku to hit a few trees. Or other things.
It also means Mitzy much sooner... and possibly even in the ABS dungeon, depending on how lazy I am. Spell effects are easy to make, but I'd have to sprite attacks and stuff for Mitzy. And figure out how I want to handle weapons because I do NOT want to make seperate sprites for every weapon in the game OUT of battle too... Maybe every weapon TYPE, but not every weapon. It was complete ass just making the default weapon... And I'd need a way to change weapons in the ABS menu, too. Well... Maybe they will have different graphics, now that I think about it. I could use the same method I'm using to sprite the battlers. After you make the sprites for one weapon, you can use that as a template for every weapon of that type. Currently, shields change the effectiveness of the "Guard" option in battle... including the ABS. I'm just gonna lock the ABS one at halving damage because I don't want to bother with shields for it... Or much other than weapons. The problem with making it equipment-dependant is that I'll eventually have to make ways to change ALL your equipment. Even just because it includes magic, I might have to anyways...
Maybe something like a savepoint that calls the equip menu instead of the save menu... I don't know.

Anyways... done rambling now.

He's waaaay easier this time, though D:
You have to stay slightly to his side and try to lure him into attacking you.
Once he whiffs, you can run up and hit him >.>
You'll also need to block his attacks to beat him. If you just keep your guard up the whole time, though, he'll never rush you. He'll just sit there and fire wind blades at you, so you have to wait until you see him pull out his sword. The moments between when he pulls it and right before he swings are when you have to guard. It'll be too late for him to react, and he'll rush you, triggering the guarding minigame thing, which will let you counter-attack him.

All the bosses are gonna be like this, by the way. I hate when games have bosses that are exactly like fighting normal enemies only longer :/
That's boring! D:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.