Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Map Screenshot Image Maker Script

W00t w00t!  Awesome work mewsterus, this is going to be of MUCH help to any RPG creator, including myself.  Definitely going to use this and enjoy it!

Wow! Amazing and very useful indeed! It works great. The only thing that I wish it had, would be to render the events so that they show up. I do a lot of my stuff with events (trees, bridges, ect...) so my maps don't look much different than in the editor. Is this something that you could add to this system???

~xgamexfreakx

You can very well create your images with the events included.  Just press Escape and select "Characters: OFF" to turn it ON.  The only wrinkle is that priorities don't work exactly correctly.  While a very large creature is supposed to appear above prioritized tiles behind it, this simply draws the prioritized tiles above the events in all cases.

Note that you can also turn on the Fog and Panorama in the same options menu.

hmmm...ya think I would've seen that in your post.... just shoot me now.  :dead: anyways, this is completely awesome! this is definitely something that i'll be using in the near future for that mapping improvement thread! I'd be really cool if you could get the priority thing worked out though.

I had thought that SephirothSpawn's Tilemap class would have fixed the problem, but it didn't.  I've tried writing one myself that does it right, but it lags for shit and causes errors because of it.  I won't be able to solve the problem until there's a better Tilemap out there.  I'll also be fully able to create a VX version if there's a VX Tilemap anyone wants to point me to...

Does it matter which Tilemap script you're using in your own project VS the tilemap used in the MapMaker script? For instance, if my project is using "Tilemap A" and your project uses "Tilemap B" is that going to conflict, or not because its a seperate exe?

This looks pretty sweet, you're getting alot of hype over this, I'm going to check it out after work tonight.

It won't conflict at all because the scripts are in a separate package, although if your tilemap does anything special that won't be mirrored in the image.

I'm getting hype?  Besides my shameless plug in Mapping Improvement, that is...

I've updated this. New features:

Smarter memory management, allowing maps to be generated and saved at higher resolutions.
New special commands: "Clear Map Cache" disposes cached bitmaps so that new ones can be generated at the highest resolution available; "Generate and Save All" disposes bitmaps after they are saved so that each map is saved at the highest resolution.

With the new updates, a 500x500 map can be saved from 2x zoom, whereas it might have been at 4x or 8x before. Please note that saving the PNG file takes a very, VERY long time at these higher resolutions. A 4000x4000 image (the size of a 2x zoom map of 500x500 tile size) is likely to take a long time, and do remember that the RGSS Player window MUST remain in focus during the whole process; focusing on another window will pause it. I can not think of any way around this, since it is built into Enterbrain's design.

And don't be surprised if your 150x150 map takes more time than your 500x500 to save; a 150x150 map, at full scale, is 4800x4800 pixels, while a 500x500 map at 2x scale is only 4000x4000 pixels, so the smaller map will probably take less time to generate, but more time to save.

I'm going to have to update this again sometime, because since my earlier update I've discovered memory problems with saving that much data to PNG, and therefore improved the method to save PNG's. And now, I know much more about the PNG format than I did before. Anyway, another update relatively soon that will address errors you might get when saving gigantic maps.

I have made a very large update. Version 3.0 has many improvements:

You can now save any map at full resolution. Even if you run out of memory for the preview image, the resulting file will be at full size, even for 500x500 maps (the largest allowed size).

User settings will persist between using the program. These settings are stored in MapMaker.ini, using the Settings module I developed and released in Scripter's Corner. There are additional settings in that file which are not exposed in the interface, and you can change them with caution.

The script now uses a Debug module which saves debugging information to MapMaker.log. If you encounter any problems, please attach this file to your post describing the problem.

My apologies if this is considered necroposting, but seeing as how i am very much interested in this tool, and it has been updated since the last time i was around...

Rey Meustrus, I just wanted to know, have you got the event priority bug fixed in this version? or is that still an issue?

Thank you,

Draycos Goldaryn.

@rey meustrus

This tool is great, it is very useful.
But i had one issue regarding an evented treasure chest on my map.
It is supposed to show that it is behind the fence, however it takes the top half of the fence away completely.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also, I'm not sure if you will be updating this in the future at all, but if you plan to, would it be possible to add screen tone to the mix?

Thanks for this script!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.