Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content Mage War

Dead content awaiting restoration.
Hi All, I have recently published a little home brew turn-based strategy game in Android Market.

Mage War (USD$0.99) / Mage War Lite (FREE)
By: catfee
Platform: Android

Estimated Play Time: 1 week (to complete all Kingdoms and difficulty levels)
Download: Download directly via Android Market (search for 'Mage War')
Marketplace Webpage for Mage War
Marketplace Webpage for Mage War Lite

Mage war is a medieval turn based strategy game. Play as 1 of the 5 kingdoms: Royal, Warrior, Elf, Dragon or Undead. Recruit speciality troops and summon creatures to join your army. Lead your army into battle for your troops to gain experience and upgrade to higher classes. Attack, cast spells and use special abilities to defeat your enemies and expand your territory. Hire heroes and attach them to your units for additional capabilities. Mix and match using more than 40 troops types and 18 heroes to compose your dream army.

1.png

1a.png

2a.png

4.png

7.png

10.png

Hope you guys who have Android handset will try it out. Any feedback and suggestion is welcomed! :wink:

Interesting...

The interface could use some smoothing out but, otherwise, looks pretty neat.

It really reminds me of Age of Wonders from back in the day.
It was a turn based strategy where you control a wizard and his armies on a plane divided into hexagons.
I can't help but suspect you may have been influenced by it, if anything.
Truly a good game. :angel:

This looks pretty good but unfortunately I don't have an android. Do you make much money from this? I'd imagine you don't get much of a cut from $0.99.

Juan J. Sánchez":3ibp19r7 said:
Looks nice, although the UI is a little bland, and I don't know if you should be using RMVX sprites for a commercial game (correct me if I'm wrong).

To put it short. Your EULA in VX states that the resources from the rtp may be used as you see fit as long as long as the game is made by their engine. It is specific that you aren't allowed to use the rtp in any other engine freeware or no. Now whether enterbrain would bother with a cease and desist order is probably unlikely.

That said I don't recognize any vx sprites in there. Seems more like a bunch of edits on xp rtp busts with some custom sprites in a similar style.

@That Angry Guy, Mage War is indeed inspired by a nintendo game I played back in my teenage days. Unfortunately I don't even know the game's name, as it was in Japanese. I had spent a lot of time playing and replaying that game (although everything is in Japanese), hence decided to create my first game based on a similar concept. Glad that you find it a good game.

@Juan J. Sánchez, agree with you that the UI is a bit bland, but I believe I had been careful in choosing sprites that do note violate any copyright... In fact, in the middle of my development, I had to abandon most of my human sprites as they were generated using an online-generator that has copyright issue if used out of VX (I found out too late).

@Amy Pond, android market takes 30%, leaving me with 70% profit. I am not making much money from this. I spent close to half a year developing this game after work. The effort put in and the return are definitely not proportional. If I had spent the time doing free-lance programming, I could have made much more I think... but then it had been a fun and rewarding (knowledge wise) journey. Hopefully if I do publish a next game it will do better.

@Old Kentucky Shark, you are right it should not have any vx sprites in there. Thanks for taking a look and helping me to clarify on it. BTW, if you think any of the sprite are questionable, please feel free to let me know.

Cheers! :)

@Amy Pond, android market takes 30%, leaving me with 70% profit. I am not making much money from this. I spent close to half a year developing this game after work. The effort put in and the return are definitely not proportional. If I had spent the time doing free-lance programming, I could have made much more I think... but then it had been a fun and rewarding (knowledge wise) journey. Hopefully if I do publish a next game it will do better.

Holy crap really 30 points!!! God that's such a loan shark percentage. Did they hire Pete The Riflemen Flemming to head their third party apps relationship arm? I don't even think steam charges half that for 3rd party offerings, though they are more exclusive about what they will carry.

Old Kentucky Shark":3rcjgkix said:

Holy crap really 30 points!!! God that's such a loan shark percentage. Did they hire Pete The Riflemen Flemming to head their third party apps relationship arm? I don't even think steam charges half that for 3rd party offerings, though they are more exclusive about what they will carry.

apple

anyways, is there a plot to this or is it just a replayable battle arena game?

Daxis":30sz776f said:
Old Kentucky Shark":30sz776f said:

apple

anyways, is there a plot to this or is it just a replayable battle arena game?

@Old Kentucky Shark, Yap 30% is quite steep, but if we think of it as a distribution channel, then it actually is money worth paying. For example, when I upload new version, it may get to the 'Top New' section, then there will be much more purchases because more people will actually notice it. The problem is there are many people publishing games and apps, and it got pushed off the list very quickly... in short, I will be happy to pay the 30% to google or whoever can help me sell the game :)

@Daxis, there is no plot (just a replayable battle arena game), though I had been thinking of adding a story as to why the kingdoms are fighting...

BTW, anyone knows how to be notified of new posting? I decided to come to this forum yesterday after quite some time of absence, and was lucky to see a few postings added on the same day. I will like to be notified of future posting if possible...

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.