Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

I'm going to court on Monday.

el felixio said:
The guy's lawyer was trying to say: He's 14, he doesn't know anything. That was his best defence.

That's not a defense. It's a method of witness impeachment. In other words, he's saying that because you're 14, you know jack and therefore no one should listen to you. It's a fairly weak tactic of impeachment, but there really isn't anything else he's allowed to try against a 14 year old, unless he can get the judge to declare you a hostile witness (hence my recommendation of not being a smart ass)

Wumpi":3fp69tcb said:
Either this is bull or that's the worst lawyer ever :x

Not really. Lawyers cross examining kids usually treat them with... uh... kid gloves.

Even when the kid is a star witness, the cross examination rarely goes beyond suggesting that kids are too stupid to be listened to. They need an excuse to be allowed to do more, and unless the kid is a star witness, most attorneys aren't going to waste the effort when they could focus on other areas that could help their case.

OU, court eh? That's gotta suck ass. I've never been there nor do I ever want to be. You'll pull through just fine though.

BlackStaticWolf said:
That's not a defense.
His client was known as the defendent, and everyone around me said that it was a defense, so I'm gonna stick to what the majority call a defense...Which is that...Me thinks...Because of the majority...:S

I been to jury dury a couple of months back. didn't get it on. thats a relief. I got a letter to go there or else be fined or worse. lol.

el felixio said:
His client was known as the defendent, and everyone around me said that it was a defense, so I'm gonna stick to what the majority call a defense...Which is that...Me thinks...Because of the majority...:S

There's a reason why lawyers get paid the big bucks to represent people... the majority doesn't know what it's talking about.

A defense is a term of art for the efforts of the attorney for the defendant to defeat the party suing or the prosecution in a criminal case.

The defense is basically everything that the attorney did on behalf of the defendant. Impeaching a witness (which is what he was trying to do to you) is only part of the defense.

I could have gone to court a couple of months ago. Didn't want to though. The guy got some time in jail and some other crap. The guy put a knife to my throat for my wallet. :P It only had 2 euro in it though. Poor fella, put to jail for 2 euros. xD

Later I did get a letter saying that there had been other victims though. One of them had a knife at his throat by the guy 5 minutes after he did it to me, and we both have the exact same names! And it's a very uncommon name. How's that for a coincidence, huh.

Twin Matrix said:
I could have gone to court a couple of months ago. Didn't want to though. The guy got some time in jail and some other crap. The guy put a knife to my throat for my wallet. :P It only had 2 euro in it though. Poor fella, put to jail for 2 euros. xD

Later I did get a letter saying that there had been other victims though. One of them had a knife at his throat by the guy 5 minutes after he did it to me, and we both have the exact same names! And it's a very uncommon name. How's that for a coincidence, huh.

I wish someone would mug me for the 15 euros in MY wallet. No one in the US wants them... and I'm too lazy to go exchange it.

Nin

Twin Matrix said:
The guy got some time in jail and some other crap. The guy put a knife to my throat for my wallet. :P It only had 2 euro in it though. Poor fella, put to jail for 2 euros. xD

Wow, that guy sucks at life.

Court is bullshit altogether, because the judicial system is highly fucked. It has to be the weakest link in democracy. As many times as I've been to court I've only been convicted three times with no-contest cases.

If you're under the age of 16 court should not be frightning at all. Before I was 16 I was "convicted" of crack possession, concealed weapon, and armed assault. I did about a year and two months in juvenile detention. Unless you got a homocide on your hands as a minor court isn't scary.

@el Felixio
Just for the record, I hate you, but it's genetic...

jstreet said:
Court is bullshit altogether, because the judicial system is highly fucked. It has to be the weakest link in democracy.

The court system is overburdened... not fucked. A good chunk of it comes from "victimless" crimes... which, as a whole, should not be crimes. The judicial branch is not meant to actively exert power: it's the check to the executive and legislative balances.

jstreet":2rn6ar6d said:
Before I was 16 I was "convicted" of crack possession, concealed weapon, and armed assault.

No battery charge? Assault is a pretty paltry offense without a battery to go with it.

The possession charge usually gets pre-trial intervention if its a first offense and you've got a competent defense attorney. Concealed weapons aren't a major offense and are usually only tacked on to more serious crimes.

As you said, juvenile court isn't that big a deal, unless you're a repeat offender. It gets much more serious once you're an adult.

el felixio":8mhn3d48 said:
I've been today. I had to hide behind a screen from the guy, and they all said I was great. The guy's lawyer was trying to say: He's 14, he doesn't know anything. That was his best defence.

I'd be damned annoyed if someone said that to me, in my eyes, that's nothing more than sterotyping and a pathetic excuse.

Originally Posted by el felixio
I've been today. I had to hide behind a screen from the guy, and they all said I was great. The guy's lawyer was trying to say: He's 14, he doesn't know anything. That was his best defence.
I believe that is a vaild defense tho. All states have an age where anyone of that age or lower cannot be held accountable for their actions because "they're too young and don't know better/the moral consequences". Here in Michigan I believe the age is 14 and lower.

Of course, like any law, it can be bent.

I was in court a couple months ago, its NOT scary at all, its just booring as hell. I was a witness, I'm 14 too by the way. My testimony was over in about 15 minutes, and I spent 8 hours in the courthouse :P

Court isnt scary at all, its just the most booring place on Earth :P

Now sentencing, THAT is enjoyable, especially when you hate the defentant XD

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.