Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

How are we doing?

I know we have a whole site discussion board for this, but would like to ask: how are we doing?

Especially in relation to recently given feedback we've been working off, how do you feel about the site, the direction it feels to be going in, etc?

Do you have any specific qualms or highlights to mention?

Jason

Awesome Bro

Well in terms of activity we're still in the gutter, doing pretty shit... actually, VERY shit, in comparison to years gone by, but meh... I'm not getting into that again since the last time it made "people" angry apparently *cough* *cough*, lol.

Although in terms of recent feedback, like changing the colour palette of the site, you were pretty fast at making changes we requested in the thread, so props for that! As for the direction we're going in... honestly it doesn't feel like we're going anywhere, we're still stuck in the same spot, we just... look prettier!

Can't really think of anything else at the moment, you've probably heard all I have to say anyway (I'm sure I've said it all before...), so meh.

I wasn't angry at the idea we're dead, but at the statement that we're not doing anything about it, mainly because all my time goes to either work or hbgames... when you said it I'd just given up a lot to get arpgm out, which has brought people here and is slowly making us a name on the official site and such. If we're doing the wrong things, or its not working, that's different, but we *are* trying.

I'm wondering if the way we joke to each other about personal things or normally offensive things, make people turn away. They might not know that's our style and get thrown off by it.

I don't feel right saying we should stop, though.

I do know that in "serious" threads such as the Rant/Advice Thread, certain people should stop spamming.

For example I started the thread and made a rant and UWE replies with:

Dicks. Big ol' dicks
We are used to this of course. We don't care, but a new member might find that odd and might even steel close with being a part of this community if they don't realize that we are a joking bunch.

I hope I make sense. ;_;

There's always a middle ground. I agree we can come across a bit blunt, and should probably be more serious in the more serious boards, but not so much that we stop being who we are, because the kind of in-group-but-anyone-can-join atmosphere makes us different to other sites, always has.

I get what you're saying Melanii. I think it would be great to stop spamming in serious threads. It even happened with my jam thread... I'm not saying it's a bad thing, and it's more acceptable in threads like the jam, but in a quick response thread like rant/advice it would be inappropriate.

On the whole amy, the site's looking fantastic! Keep at it!

Jason":icp5adv1 said:
If people can't make or take jokes on the internet, they don't deserve to be here... that's just silly.

I agree completely. While I haven't been nearly as active on this site as I'd like, I've been around since the rmxp.net/org days and one of the things I always appreciated was the light atmosphere. We all came for the community but it had such a fun, friendly feeling that not many other places had.

I wish we could find a way to bring people back without necessarily sacrificing our soul to do so. I don't know if we're too spread out and lost focus or if the internet has moved on from these sorts of hobbies. We have to find a way to bring the fun back and strengthen the community we have before we can draw others in.

Probably not helpful but just how I feel.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.