Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

HBGames Novelists Club

I know Strawberry and I are in the process of writing novels. Anyone else? I figure we can talk about our work and the process here. Here are some questions to get us started:

- What's it about?
- Where are you in the writing process?
- How's it going? How do you feel about what you've done so far?
- What sort of planning are you doing?
- When do you think you'll be done with your current draft?

I guess I'll go first to get us started!

- What's it about?
I need to actually put together a pitch that isn't terrible, but it's an urban fantasy about a physics grad student (Clara) who is actually a retired sorcerer. Seven years ago, a magic ritual gone awry turned her childhood friend into a mindless monster--and unbeknownst to anyone else, this was entirely Clara's fault. Wracked with guilt, she left the sorcerer community for college. Now the friend has shown up in her new town for some reason and is killing people, so Clara has to figure out why she's here and how to stop her while trying to prevent her new life from blowing up in her face. Unfortunately the whole murder mystery bit is probably the worst part of the story, since the answer to what the friend is doing in town (and the repercussions of finding out) is significantly more interesting than the question. I need to figure out a better hook for the first act, but I guess that's what revision is for!

I'm about 30,000 words into the second draft. I only got about 70,000 words into the first draft (maybe 3/4 of the way through the story) before I realized I hopelessly derailed the plot from where I originally wanted to go, so I'm sort of looking at this as a second first draft instead of a proper second draft.

I feel pretty good about it! I liked the first draft well enough, and it's gotten significantly better a second time around. My issue has been struggling to fit everything I wanted to happen into one version of the story. The protagonist has to make this really morally difficult choice about 1/4 of the way through, and the decision has very serious repercussions for the plot and her relationships with other characters, and there are a lot of interesting but mutually exclusive things I want to explore. Since this was originally intended to be a video game (and maybe still will be idk whatever), I wanted to let you pick what decision you made and include two or three wildly different story branches, and I might still do that. We'll see how I feel about that idea after I'm done with this draft.

I've been doing some loose outlining. I'm using the four-act structure and have the major turning points of the story planned out, plus some character arcs, and am filling in the gaps as I go.

Three months or so, maybe? I'm ballparking this draft at around 100k, so I'm maybe a third of the way into it now.

- What's it about?
I could write this like a synopsis! Yay!

When 17-year old Sylphia Faine is sent to a dungeon after killing a nobleman for assaulting her younger sister, she binds a contract with a mercenary organization to save herself from execution. During her first mission with the mercenary commander's son, Sylphia returns home to deal with an unknown, aggressive force lurking in the mines. There she absorbs the magic essence of the creature, and now she sees it in her dreams.

I suck at synopsis, it probably sucks. XD The book is high fantasy, definitely.

I'm currently on the first dream, about 13,300 words in. :D

It's going well. Reading helps me a lot! I'm happier with this re-write than the old one. :P

I'm mostly thinking ahead, but I decided not over plan because otherwise I'll never get to writing. I draw my characters a lot for visual references. Does that count?

I hope by the end of the year. I REALLY hope.

Perihelion":39ikik60 said:
- What's it about?
I need to actually put together a pitch that isn't terrible, but it's an urban fantasy about a physics grad student (Clara) who is actually a retired sorcerer. Seven years ago, a magic ritual gone awry turned her childhood friend into a mindless monster--and unbeknownst to anyone else, this was entirely Clara's fault. Wracked with guilt, she left the sorcerer community for college. Now the friend has shown up in her new town for some reason and is killing people, so Clara has to figure out why she's here and how to stop her while trying to prevent her new life from blowing up in her face. Unfortunately the whole murder mystery bit is probably the worst part of the story, since the answer to what the friend is doing in town (and the repercussions of finding out) is significantly more interesting than the question. I need to figure out a better hook for the first act, but I guess that's what revision is for!
I wanted to mention that this sounds totally awesome! If this was a book or game, I'd get it in a second. :D

Thanks! Yours sounds cool too. :) Good luck with your draft, by the way. What sort of pace are you writing at, and how long do you think the whole thing is going to be?

Totally just got this artwork of one of my PoV characters, Sylphia, drawn by someone known as Hragon:

tumblr_nbx88anZvF1tai3xso1_500.jpg

Cool! It's a nice sketch. :) I have some character designs in my art thread too, but they may change if/when it becomes a game.

I'm currently sort of mired on my plot, so I stopped to plan it out better. Plotting is hard when you're writing a character-driven story and you want the events to elicit specific character arcs from everyone. :sad:

Okay cool, I think I finally figured out all the major points in my story. Now I just need to work out what I'm doing with some subplots and I should be good to start writing again.. I'm outlining according to the four-act structure, which is very helpful. If you're not familiar with the four-act structure, I strongly suggest looking it up and figuring out what the key turning points in your story are before you get there. Here's the tl;dr summary:

Act I - Setup: Hook, setup. Establish the stakes for the hero--their life and everything they stand to lose during the story, their inner demons, their backstory, etc.--and foreshadow the antagonist or antagonistic force.

• Hook (5-10%): Something that grabs the reader's attention during the first act. It doesn't reveal the true goal of the story yet, but it might foreshadow it. Following the hook takes us through the first act. The hero does need to be doing something interesting before the hook shows up, but it could just be something interesting from their daily life rather than something that foreshadows the plot.
    Plot Point I (20-25%): Reveals the true nature of the antagonistic force and defines the protagonist's goal for the rest of the story. The antagonist may show up before this point, but the audience shouldn't understand its full meaning.

Act II - Response: The reaction to Plot Point 1, the beginning of the hero's quest. This may involve running, hiding, analyzing, planning, failed attempts to address the problem, etc. Your hero can do things that are proactive during this part, but they shouldn't make significant headway against the antagonist yet since Act II is essentially reactionary.

• Pinch Point I (35-38%): A direct display of the antagonist that reminds us what's at stake halfway through Act II. The antagonist needs to actually appear directly to the audience, not simply be heard about.
    Midpoint (50%): The turning point of the story. Some key piece of information is revealed that changes the context for the hero, audience, or both. It makes the story switch from reaction mode to attack mode.

Act III - Attack: The hero starts attacking the problem head-on, trying to fix things, making headway, conquering their inner demons, etc. The antagonist also ups their game, so the stakes rise.

• Pinch Point II (63%): Same as the first one but halfway through Act III instead.
    Plot Point II (75%): The final piece of information necessary for the hero to defeat the antagonist is revealed. After this point, no new information is allowed to enter the story.

Act IV - Resolution: The climax. The hero takes the spotlight and is central to the story's resolution.

Once you figure out your these milestones and what's going on in each of the four acts, you have basically your whole story figured out, since most of the rest of it is setup/response for the major events. I find that scene-by-scene outlines don't work well for me because it's hard to predict for context before you write, but it's essential to know what's going on in each of the four acts. If you haven't been building up to your milestones, you're unlikely to magically figure them out when you get there and will probably need to do significant restructuring on subsequent drafts.

Basically all published novels and screenplays follow this format, so it can be a helpful exercise to dissect the structure as you read or watch movies.

So how's it going? Made any good progress recently? I'm about 70k into my second draft (well, it's a total rewrite, so more like a second first draft). It's about as long as it was the first time now, but the plot completely diverged and also seems to have gotten longer somehow. It's going well, though. I'm pretty pumped because I'm almost at a key scene I've been looking forward to the whole time.

So I decided to start my novel over for the THIRD time because I wasn't liking the direction the second version was going.

It seems I'm finding it hard to stick with it.

The thing is, I can't stop thinking about my lead characters and all the things I want them to do or say to each other, but other than that the story goes nowhere. And I seem to have ideas for a bunch of other things I could write, but I don't feel... As connected to them.

Well, except for this other couple...

What's with me and stupid romance-relationship? ;_;

Have you tried outlining? If you have ideas for key scenes, try making a list of them and then figure out ways to connect them. Regardless, I think it's important to finish a draft if possible before starting over, especially since you haven't gotten very far into it yet. You discover a lot of things you never expected writing it, and it's hard to see the shape of the story without having a finished product to look at.

Unless your idea for this is fundamentally flawed somehow, don't switch to another story. Writing is hard work, and nothing will ever go perfectly. You need to finish something.

Is it something that can be said later? Spread it out. You don't want to get to the end and realize you ran out of paint. If you know what I mean. That's something I see with people new to comics. Like at the beginning the speech bubbles are practically paragraphs but towards the end the text is sparse.

If you're having trouble moving the story forward. You might not be focusing on the right story beats. Or you're beats are too simple.

captured > escaped
captured > observe > plan > get loose > Unforeseen complication > lucky break > escape

You can plan a scene/chapter like this without details. You might not know how the characters are restrained for example. But you can look at it and decide when is a good time for the character to confess to a lie, or kiss, or bring up their past ect...
It's sort of a mix of point-to-point and discovery writing. Taking a step back and saying, Ok, I wanted the character to confess he wasn't a expert-whatever, but the lie has never been a problem until now so it would be a wasted opportunity to create suspense. Maybe the lucky break is that he didn't need to confess and his secret is safe, but it's the turning point where he thinks "I got to tell the truth"

I'm afraid of outlining because I might never get to the story. However, the idea of jotting down key scenes or things I want to happen sounds like a good idea.

Also, is it bad I almost want to make all my stories into games? D:

Outlining can be really important. You don't need to do a detailed scene-by-scene outline; I prefer to do it by major events and then figure out how to link them together on the fly. If you're worried about getting stuck in outline limbo forever, set a deadline like a couple weeks to figure out what you're doing.

Hahahaha, so, I got to the exact same point in my current draft where I stopped last time (about 85k words this time) and realized that my story is once again deeply flawed and I need to start over. At least it's not as bad as it was last time, though... This spot is cursed. Someday I will finish a draft. >:[

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.