Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content GREEN (HBGames World Exclusive!)

Dead content awaiting restoration.
GREENTitle.png

By: theory

Play the Demo!

■ Introduction

It's like a game, only better!
It's.... GREEN.

Yes, the one and only action adventure is here! Don't miss your chance to be a part of this epic journey! Featuring amazing, crystal clear pixel art, catchy beats, and intense, epic moments, GREEN is one title you don't want to miss.

■ How To Play

Press Space on the Title Screen
Use the arrow keys to move!

RED doesn't like you. He's slow but will slaughter you, given the chance.
ORANGE hates you. He'll outrun RED to get to you first.
PINK is insane, and hates everything. Especially you, though. If you see PINK, hide.
YELLOW is most important, get them all if you can.
BLUE demands a sacrifice of YELLOW to let you past.
WHITE is amazingly helpful. But only to the rich.
GREEN is your personal hero. Get to GREEN and it will save you from inevitable defeat.
BROWN is harmless, and easily pushed around.
HAVE FUN!

■ Screenshots

GREEN1.png

GREEN2.png

GREEN3.png

The in-game map.

■ Support the Project!

Large Format

[center][url=http://www.arpgmaker.com/viewtopic.php?p=836742#p836742][img]http://www.beatthelist.com/GREENTitle.png[/img][/url][/center]

■ Special Thanks

I'd like to throw a shoutout to Glitchfinder for teaching me Ruby back in the day, as well as just being an awesome co-coder all the way around. He helped me dream up this insane project.

Special thanks to dagarath for playtesting for me, he pointed out several bugs and ideas that made this a better experience for everyone.

Special thanks to Wachunga for his font installer. Much appreciated, man.

Special thanks to HBGames for giving me a place to call home, even when the walls around me collapse (as they often do).

This incredible title is exclusive to HBGames. Do not repost elsewhere, regardless of permission or anything else, for any reason, no matter what, or else, for reals, yes I'm sure. (Except TPB and only in the event that the game instructs you to.)

Your font installer errors out before anything even starts.

EDIT: Of course, this is easily fixed by getting off ones lazy ass and installing the font yourself.

At any rate, I can't believe how ridiculously addicting this is. I was just going to play around with it a little bit to see what the big deal was, and I had to catch myself from starting up a third game. Great job.

Thanks :D Very glad to see that someone likes it :) Could you PM me the details of that error, and what OS you use? I thought I caught errors from that, apparently not :X

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit. I can't get the game to run. :( I manually installed the font yet it keeps telling me I need to install it. Then when I click OK it says this..
"No such file to load GREEN/Data/fileutils.rb"

Sorry! Patched. D/L link has changed to fixed version. I do apologize. I have Ruby installed on my system so it didn't complain for me. Still, pretty bad oversight. :X

Games fun! ^_^ However, the font installer forced me to install the font even though it was installed. Its not a big deal but thought I should let you know.

That is odd. Thanks for the info. I'll write my own font installer script for the next update.

Not sure if anyone's reached room 50 yet, but trust me, grab all that excess gold on the early levels. The actual amount of gold doesn't decrease, but your willingness to stick your neck out for it surely does. Save points cost 50 treasure each... use them sparingly. I'm on 52 and itching for a savepoint before I run out of lives. Haha.

Tolls are a bit *too* avoidable at the moment (tolls are only in rooms 15+). Making a lot of little tweaks to the mapgen for the next update.

This was officially my first map generator, I think it works quite well considering. [Added a 25 treasure-cost warp as a backup. You can use the warp even without 25 treasure, but it will put you at a deficit which has to be made whole before you can save!]

I'm open for feedback if anyone has good ideas!

BTW - Protip: If a box is stuck and you can't get it out, touch it and walk away. There is a way to make it move, but I can't give it all away :) (it doesnt involve any secret keys - it's just a particular player movement pattern)

Tuna

Awesome Bro

Very fun game! I couldn't get it to work the first time I ran it, and then when I ran it as an admin it locked up so I quit again. Then the third time I ran the game it worked just fine. I made it to level 40 something I believe. I can only imagine how difficult this would be if the enemy movement WASN'T random! Very well done!

I considered non-random movement, and I promise it will be in Adventure mode which will be added, well, when I'm happy with it.
I will force a savepoint if 9-12 levels have passed without one (the actual appearance will still be random, but if you're 9-12 maps past the previous one and you haven't seen one spawn, one will be forced. The 9-12 range is to preserve the unpredictable nature of the spawning system - if you could plan and predict the whole game becomes less fun :3 )

Adventure mode consists of the ability to backtrack - that's right, it actually generates a truly massive world rather than linear map progression.

There are special maps, which you will want to hunt for.

There are clue points that will help (vaguely) point you in the direction of a special map.

There are more enemies, and they have unique behaviours now (not just speeds).

There are marks that you can obtain that grant you new abilities.

There's a custom font installer that should rectify the problems with 64-bit machines intallation.

And a cool surprise :D :D

Writing the font installer now, then some mad debugging (having a major issue with the first map getting corrupted) and then I'll get the update up for y'all. Thanks for showing some love, it keeps me motivated :)

Tuna

Awesome Bro

Future updates sounds very much cool. I look forward to playing them!

Unfortunately, issues with 64-bit systems seem to be somewhat common with a lot of games I've seen uploaded recently. I'm not entirely sure what the issue is (though as a programmer I probably should), but you're not alone. I hope you get it sorted out!

Project is still alive. New features are absolutely killer. It will be a much more intense, thrilling, and expanding experience.

As I continue to polish the game, I'm wondering if there are any suggestions or requests from you all that could make it even better? Let me know if there are ideas you would like to see in the next edition.

Where is the next edition. This was a very neat game with a simply concept. I thought it was cute though sometimes i wish i had the option to move faster to avoid faster cubes. I think there should be a mechanism that would allow that because avoiding purple cubes is really all about luck.

lol was actually writing a custom engine for it. sorry about the delays. I've already got a demo of the new enemy movement - less luck, more skill now, but a lot more skill indeed. they are "smart". Not to mention the different colors have different abilities (including GREEN :D).
Level generation kind of sucks. That was the main reason for the new engine - allows me to make levels much more exciting. And it offers rewards for amassing treasure.
I'll release an early update for a few of the new features, level generation will be quite similar for now. Give me a couple days to polish it up.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.