Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Grace's Diary

Grace's Diary

This is an entry for 2010 Life.Love.Game Design contest.

Introduction
Grace's Diary is an interactive visual novel made with Flash and flixel game framework. The game plays out as a point and click exploration/adventure game. There is a lot of dialogue in the game, which players will sometime be given choices to response. DIfferent response or actions will lead the game to a different ending. The game is not a long one, however, and can be finished in about an hour.

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmSXI50mDvU

Screenshots
27954_395109752417_61266532417_3983419_6848125_n.jpg

27954_395109767417_61266532417_3983420_5802178_n.jpg

27954_395109777417_61266532417_3983421_4028836_n.jpg

27954_395109787417_61266532417_3983422_3681467_n.jpg

27954_395109792417_61266532417_3983423_2461524_n.jpg

27954_395110472417_61266532417_3983426_1229048_n.jpg

This game looks very professional, and did you do all that by yourself? If you did, that's insane. I mean impressive. I'll give this a try whenever I have time.

Emertinel":p8hxj58b said:
This game looks very professional, and did you do all that by yourself? If you did, that's insane. I mean impressive. I'll give this a try whenever I have time.
Nope! 3 people were involved in the process :)

Good game. Awesome design, and quite realistic actions and reactions by people. I'm pretty sure I got the right ending anyhoo.

The searching was a bit monotonous, though, as i did try to check everything several times, which was a tad annoying.

Otherwise, amazing design. Good game. Very nice music. :thumb:

Hey, I wrote a review for this on another site. I'll just repost it here:

It is worth noting that "Grace's Diary" won first prize in a game design contest by Jennifer Ann's Group, a charity against teen dating violence. You're probably thinking: Really? This sounds like an education or "message" game! Will I really like this? If you're looking for a high-octane adventure, of course this isn't the game for you. But if you really want to take a short peek through the window of the lives of two friends, you will find the view "Grace's Diary" has to offer as picturesque, brief and moving. A game with possibly just fifteen minutes worth of game-play has certainly moved this player. It's a welcome addition to the growing array of games on this website, and to Hima's already-impressive personal game design resume.

We are first introduced to Grace, a high-school girl with a usual cheerful disposition but knows when she has to get down to business and be serious. She misses her friend, Natalie, and suspects that Natalie's boyfriend, Ken, may be the cause of their drifting apart. While Grace is usually depicted as grinning confidently, standing akimbo or with her arms folded with a stern expression, Natalie is depicted as more nervous, reclusive and sullen. A collaborator of Hima's, Piti, whom has worked with Hima on previous projects, does a marvelous job with the artwork. And the music, though I'm unsure of its source, was very soothing and pleasing and worked well for the visual novel style of the game, switching from the upbeat rhythm to the slower, more delicate tunes for some of the flashbacks and conversations.

The game itself is brief, as I mentioned before, and should not take someone more than a half hour to complete, if that. It is comprised of two sections. The first is a point-and-click where we observe various objects in Grace's bedroom. By doing this, we may be carried into a memory about Natalie. Sometimes you may have to interact with an object more than once to get the desired result. Any important notes are stored in an in-game memo. At any point in this phase, you can pick up the phone to call Natalie. But if not enough memories have not been triggered, you will find yourself at a loss of dialogue options to help convince her of the real effects of Ken's abuse. And this is the second part of the game. You have to choose from various dialogue branches to properly get through to Natalie. Make sure you remember each memory. The player should always save before making this phone call, as he might just get the bad ending.

And it's as simple as that. The only gripe I have with the game is that some of the dialogue is clumsily written and there are some grammatical errors. This is a usual case in Hima's games as English is not his native language, and I have little to no problem dismissing things like that. But it was a bit harder to do this time, as this is a visual novel dialogue-driven game. But the story is never lost, though. Grace's Diary's story is not an opus in any way. And it is not grand in any way. But it is relevant, simple and hits some of us close to home. Putting it in a game format like this just makes it more intimate and engrossing and I totally recommend it if you have twenty minutes to spare.

moxie

Sponsor

I always love your games, and this is no exception. The awkward grammar is quite a bit more noticeable and a little offputting in this since the game is entirely centered around dialogue, but it's still very sweet and the artwork is absolutely top-notch.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.