Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content Fatal Waters [V 1.0]

Dead content awaiting restoration.

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
ogjml5.png

Hello RMVXP. This is a simple 30 minute game I made for a school project. As some of you may know by now, I'm planning to extend this game from 30 minutes to somewhere around 2 hours. People seem to be impressed by the game which drove me to extend it. If you would like to help on the game in any way, please contact me. Thanks!

Also, Fatal Waters was nominated for a .ORGY award! The category was Favorite Completed Game of 08-09. Thanks to EVERYONE who voted for FW and a very special thanks goes out to who nominated us! From what I remember, we didn’t place, but we came in 4th. Not bad at all…

The Game V_1.0
http://www.box.net/shared/nie2jh6c7k

dwx92e.png

Long ago, the great Arbinan Sea once ruled half the planet of Sandora. Traders and merchant ships had to travel great distances to sell their goods they obtained from their journeys. Legend tell of an ancient pirate ship that is said to hold an untold amount of treasure. This ship became caught in a fierce storm centuries ago and was swallowed by the unforgivable sea...

Life on this planet was limited to the westernmost side and overpopulation was a major concern for the peoples that lived there. Crops and livestock we're scarce and the freshwater supply was anything but clean. Disease spread like rapid fire.

The citizens prayed to their gods for more land and soon their prayers were answered. The sea floor split open in an awesome display of seismic activity and volcanic eruptions. People flocked to the newly opened land in which they called Tulloch and once again lived very successful lives, up until the pandemic broke loose.

The crops and livestock grown and raised on the new land became toxic. People soon found out that the soil used to grow their crops had become extremely deadly due to the drainage of the sea water into the land. An antidote was made for the disease which cured the people and once again, people went on living great lives.

Our story takes place in a small village nested on the northernmost part of Sharnall. In this village lives our hero, Scott Lawson and his widowed mother. The two lived very successful lives up until Scott's mother became extremely ill. Doctors rushed to her side and concluded that the cure that once protected her, had mutated. The disease slowly became immune to the cure by altering her DNA.

Scott became worried and sought after an alternate cure for his mother. This is his story...

33em0rl.png

dw6x75.png

Name: Scott Lawson
Bio: A brave and courageous young man who cares for his mother on a daily basis. After her infection, he stands by her day by day making sure she is safe. Scott becomes fed up with watching his mother die and decides to find an alternate cure.

dazo2.png

Name: Adam Patterson
Bio: Adam is Scott's best friend and side-kick although he is a coward. He has become extremely intelligent which makes up for his lack of strength. Adam aids Scott in his quest to find a cure for Scott's mother.
m7wg3r.png

MotherSickRoom.png

This is the first scene in the game. Scott's mother lies sick on her death bed.
DellinaWoods.png

This is the connecting forest leading to the cavern you find in the game.
FWHUDProto.png

Yet another pic of Dellina Forest. This is the new HUD system (prototype) I plan to add in FW.
Features include…
*HP, SP, and DASH bars
*Allies w/ bars.
*Players HUD tracks Time and Money along with current level
*Quick inventory. Allows up to 5 items in one slot. 8 slots total.
*I MIGHT add a EXP bar to track players and allies EXP…
*Minimap
*Quick Quest Log
LostCavern.png

This is a pic of the lost cavern Scott and Adam find. This picture shows the circle of light effect used in the game.
2mebair.png

*Lockpicking (In new update only)
*Traps to navigate around (In new update only)
*Improved Graphics (In new update only)
*Quests (In new update only)
*UMS
*Circle of Light (In new update only)
*Chrono Trigger CMS (edited)
*Advanced weather
*Pause script (In new update only)
*Dash system (In new update only)
*Party Item Limit - Let’s you carry a certain amount of items based on STR. (In new update only)
*Skill shop
*Checkpoint system (In new update only)

Credit:
:SCRIPTS:
Ccoa, Zeriab, Eilei, SephirothSpawn, SDK Team, Sobeman459, Paradox
:GRAPHICS:
Scott Lawson, Dominic, Axerax, fox5, Erk, greenraven, Hypershadow180, Cos, CanadaATW, Pickle/IceAxe, PINDEAXP, Enterbrain, Coyotecraft, Arctrooper48, jbrist
:OTHER:
Advocate Bishop.
:SPECIAL THANKS:
CanadaATW, FOX5, Paradox, Kain_Nobel

*If you see anything I did not give credit for, please tell me and I'll be sure to add it

Alright then. I'm on Dial-up right now so it's going to take me a bit. Thats why I diden't post anything at the start. Give me a sec.

EDIT: Added screenshots.

Doesn't look too bad. Quite promising actually. I'd rework the story to be honest. Not the core plot though; just the way you have phrased it on this page makes it somewhat duller than it really is. I can tell you've got a lot planned here, the screenshots look awesome actually. Especially the forest one. However, in the one for the Mother's Room, it should have a question mark at the end. Aside though, it looks impressive. Please extend it, I like the look of where it's going.

Emm okay you pretty much shot and scored... I liked the way this game made - the mapping was great and the atmosphere the lighting gave to the game is pretty dark... something like Diablo 1 atmosphere, also the sound fits in and is suitable to the cases. The storyline is good - partly because usually there is some super-villain or a princess to save and in the game you use natural causes and such. And yet I think saving your mother is a bit of a cliche... The game is too short for the players to feel sympathy to the boy and there is no explanation for some occurrences in the game for example the men walking outside the cave that just attack when you touch them... You can walk during the first conversation and that's bad... REALLY bad so you might wanna fix that up. I won't complain about the battle system because of the game's length but if it were a little bit longer I would have suggested a battle system. Another thing, how did they know there was a treasure inside the cave when they entered it... Showing at the end of the game the future of the heroes is useless because we don't sympathize or care about those characters, the story is not long enough... I already pointed out that saving your mother is a bit of cliche, but it won't be if we knew our hero and loved him so that leads me to another suggestion for future games - do NOT make quests or occurrences that require us to sympathize with the characters at the beginning of the game, do regular quests like helping an old man finding his teeth or bring him some food, some quests that introduce between the player and the character. Emm another thing... In my opinion the wait time between the messages are too long, I suggest you to decrease the time in future games. Another thing was that the "final" boss didn't look at all as his battler, the sprite was a man in a hood and suddenly his battler is some weird ninja?!
Oh and last thing is that the system graphic has a problem, players can have hard time locating where they are at the menu system (the only verification of where you are is a light brown line that you can barely see). Other than that I think the game is pretty cool and I im waiting eagerly to your next game, maybe longer and implemented with my suggestions (of course you can cover your ears and try not to listed to any of my comments, but that's why you posted it here right?).
Ill give the soundtrack and music 9/10 :biggrin: (Some RTP sounds were used and im so sick of hearing them, here is a site you could use to download almost any sound, USE it
http://www.findsounds.com/types.html)
Ill give the gameplay 9/10 :biggrin: (The game was fast paced, a bit too fast...)
Ill give the difficulty 7/10 :grin: (Its not that its too easy, it can be hazard because you cant heal so if you're not careful and run into too many monsters you will die before getting to the boss... Bummer)
Ill give the graphics 9/10 :biggrin: (the final boss battler, and the battle system where only your faces are fighting XD)
Overall - 8.5/10 :biggrin: - You're on a road to success man... Don't forget to make the best out of peoples comments.

Edit addition: I may have some spare time to criticize future games of yours because I liked your style so pm me if you think you could use suggestions for improvements in future projects...

Atreyu

I downloaded the game (by the way im not a complete expert at this rpg maker thing) ive just started using it and it looks like you can make some impressive stuff. Nice game and i enjoyed playing it. :biggrin:

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm planning on taking this game further because people seem to like it. This was just a simple school project with a very few of my skills. I can do LOADS more to improve this game from it's current stage.

Killergermel: Thanks for the feedback. I do plan to add a battle system of some sort to the game and to increase the length from 30 minutes to 2 hours hopefully. I'll take into consideration every thing you've told me and alter the game a bit.

Here's a list of what what to expect in this game in the final update...

*New battle system along with new battlers, skills, and a lvl 30 cap.
*Side-quests
*Altered/extended storyline with new maps and 1 hr 30 min + gameplay
*New items, weapons, charaters, towns, etc...
*Mini-games

Updates will be added to the main post often so keep your eyes peeled.
~SIRUS.

Very well, and a suggestion, if you are going to do main quests and side-quests that the player will do in parallel, you might wanna think about a quest system, there are many good scripts and I found a good quest system that can be triggered when using an item (a journal maybe?). Integrated in-game maps will also be a great help for the players, and if you need I got a good world map genrator program with cities on the map. Keep us updated... :wink:

Acera

Sponsor

I just played through your demo, and I got some stuff to say regarding that.

First of all, the atmosphere was great, I loved it. I'm really fond of the story and the overall setting. However, the main reason I'm posting are the 'negative' sides.
Currently, there are quite a few spelling mistakes, especially with "your" and "you're". Also in the last text you see before the end of the demo, I think it was 'millions', but I'm not 100% sure. Furthermore, in the cutscene you put some of the events on parallel, so the player is actually able to move. I saw the main character run off the screen and noticed the other guy disappearing into the twilight zone (where he joins your party). You should go back over that and make sure that's alright.

Something I wasn't able to test properly, because I was out of Will, was the fight with that last guy Jackson I think it was (yes, I'm extremely terrible at names). But I attacked with with a skill (which magically appeared btw) and I did about 40 dmg or so (with the highest Will using ability), while I got a few 90's with a normal attack. Not sure if it's just bad luck or something, but might be worth looking over.

Keep up the fine work and I'll be playing the next version.

Hey, thanks for the feedback Acera. I've fixed all bugs and errors with the game and I'm going to release a new version of the game shortly, V 1.2. This new version will include new items, weapons, etc. and an alternate ending which you buy the cure from Jason instead of him fighting you. Once you buy the cure, he jets off. I cannot tell you the rest, you'll just have to wait. ;D I've still got to fix the battle system for the demo until I find a better one.

*UPDATE*
1.) Added better quality screenshots
2.) Altered storyline a tad bit
3.) Edited character bios
4.) Added new features
There's a twist in the alternate storyline right off the bat. ;)

I'm glad to see you're expanding this. I think there's a lot more to be hand out of this game than the original. I'm not sure about the first dungeon, as it comes in a bit too early on, and is really simple, but with the right additions to the gameply here and there, this could become a pretty good game.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I’ve taken everything into consideration from the previous posts and thought VERY hard about all of it.

I’m finished with the new update by the way, I just need to find someone who is willing to edit a few scripts. Once the scripting is done, beta testers will scratch for bugs, then the new updated demo will be out. Check back soon!

rasui: Most likely a scripting error. This was fixed in the new demo. :thumb:

Just played through this entire game in like 20 minutes! :P

Seriously good stuff.
Absolutely no negatives that i could think of apart from the shortness of the demo due to the easiness of the battles and lack of depth to the demo.

But all in all i'd say this was very very promising.
Definitely looking forward to the real deal. :)

Hey thanks man! I promise that the update will have LOADS more to offer and will be about 15 minutes longer. Not much but... lol

Well guys, it's going to take longer to release the new demo but things are getting done. VERY slowly though...

I've been looking for a talanted scripter willing to help me with the scripts. If you are a talanted scripter and want to help, please drop me a line.

I've changed some things with the main post too. New screenshot showing off the HUD I'm adding and new faces. :smile:

This game looks great so far. You've got great maps, atmosphere, and tone, and I can't wait until the new one's out, looking forward to seeing some of the new features you've listed.

this looks pretty good so far. the maps are good, the story is interesting, you've got a fair few features (though I haven't been in the RPG maker vibe for a while now, so I've kind of lost track). downloading now. I'll edit once I'm finished :smile:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.