Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content DEATHLESS, Chapters 1 & 2

Dead content awaiting restoration.
titleplug.jpg

There is an old Pioneer saying:
if there's trouble, you know you're still alive.

Kim and Lonne are pioneer kids living out the hardscrabble life on the Outland Plateau.

Lonne is the older. She's a bona fide survivor who could live on twigs and sleep in a snowbank. Kim is the thoughtful one, with a curious condition that no one is supposed to know about.

Couldn't hurt to see what life is like down below the plateau, could it? Go out into the woods 'round Yshod and find somethin' to sell? The woods where babies are born alive out of the ground?

Kim & Lonne are alive in the forest of Yshod.

Part kids' adventure story, part noir, part science fiction, DEATHLESS Chapters 1 & 2 are short (around 1 hour each), playable installments in a serial RPG inspired (in part) by the writings of A. A. Attanasio. Both chapters have been released over at RRR to a small but overwhelmingly favorable reception (to which I understand it is discourteous to link).

DOWNLOAD

Only major bug. . . the previous state's animation will play for a second before the new animation begins. I’m pretty sure this is an rmxp thing. Anyway, I haven’t figured out how to get rid of it. If you know how, pm me and I’ll buy you a Coke. I’ve been told there’s a continuity error in Ch. 2, if you can find it.

A LOT of the English & spelling in this game is colloquial – forewarned is forearmed. If you ain't speak 'Merican, it may sound a bit pee-culiar. If you find a grammatical error, please be specific as to what and where it is. Feel free to open up maps and events, if that sort of thing floats your boat.

Enjoy!

Summary
DEATHLESS

Life is hard on the Outland Plateau. First of all, there’s not much in the way of civilization – trees, lots of caves, and the largely unnavigable Gauley River. Then there’s the constant scratching for food, the endless diet of tubers, goat’s milk and whatnot. Of course, there’s all those dangerous forest critters to deal with. However there is a small, dedicated group of folks -- call 'em PIONEERS -- who prefer this simple sustenance lifestyle to living under the COMPANY that owns most of the planet and, by unstated agreement, leaves Outland Plateau alone.

Life might just be a little harder for Kim and Lonne. Lonne is 14 (a hard age for anyone), ungainly and awkward, confused about who she is and who she wants to be. Her brother Kim is a bookish 10 year-old in a pioneer world. Both are orphans.

However, things are about to get a little bit worse for Kim and Lonne. You see, Kim has this strange condition that no one is supposed to know about (not even you), and Lonne, -- as his protector -- has an aptitude for violence that even she finds unsettling. When the two of them leave the protection of the plateau, they find that the truth can be difficult to hide, even from themselves.

Features
- Linear, turn-based RPG with thoroughly crafted storyline.
- Event-based cut scenes advance plot and character development.
- Character dialogue window includes face shots with expressions for emotional depth.
- Turn-based, custom battle system based on Enu’s SBS features unique animation and MIND element that challenges battlers to control fear and anger.
- In-game guidebook/itembook/bestiary accelerates learning curve.
- Custom skills learning system equips new skills with weapons and armor, with the ability to learn new skills permanently.
- Beautifully rendered maps use recombined and revised RTP tilesets, with special weather effects using ccoa’s custom weather script.

Background: Pioneers
Excerpted from 8th year WPDCS textbook, (West Potentia Division COMPANY Schools)

Pioneers are a primitive group of individualists who live outside the COMPANY towns. The majority of pioneers can be found on the Outland Plateau. The plateau’s remoteness and rugged, fortress-like cliffs, canyons and caves discourage invaders – or visitors, for that matter – perfect for the simple, isolation-loving pioneers. Their fundamental beliefs are three: that land is the property of no one and the property of everyone; that use of the land demands respect for the land; and that people are happiest when left alone.

Pioneers practice crude, small-scale agriculture on river bottoms, natural clearings – even on the roofs of their houses. They plant hearty crops like tubers, barley root, dunplant, or hog-nose squash, as well as some cash crops, such as ginseng and serviceberry. Most keep chicken foul and free-grazing milking stock such as cattle and goats. Almost all pioneers fish in the local rivers, depending on the season. This uncivilized, yet remarkably diverse diet maximizes the native resources and reduces dependence on any one food source.

Pioneer dwellings reflect the need for defense from the host of dangerous creatures that live within the plateau and surrounding woods. Most live in caves, or hollowed out spaces in the strange, igneous extrusions dotting the plateau called “pillars.” A few live in wood cabins, almost exclusively elevated in trees or perched atop rock formations. The rest live in makeshift tents, clustered nearby other dwellings for protection.

The origins of the pioneers are unclear. There are many indications that they were living on or near the plateau when Our Fair COMPANY was first established in the area. There are certainly ties between them and certain native religious communities scattered around the area. They hold in common many beliefs and practices stemming from indigenous animism centering around worship of the sun.

While their relationship with the COMPANY is somewhat cold, they are a useful trading partner and one of the sole sources of many forest products of value within the city, notably goldenrod tea. Therefore, they are permitted to live alongside the company territory and to govern themselves in their own fashion – or not, as the case may be. They have no ruling authority, and settle disputes by common accord in rare public meetings.

Most of the time, they just keep to themselves.

Background: Outland Plateau
Excepted from: Survey Report of West Potentia Branch, Saeclum Division of Our Fair COMPANY, Redacted 4th Martens, 595

EDITED FOR CONFIDENTIALITY – FORWARD COMPANY

Following up on initial surface reconnaissance, our party arrived by pack animal at the base of the plateau on the Ides of Junio. Progress had been very slow due to the combination of seasonal weather, heavy undergrowth, and the presence of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx due to the proximity of xxxxxxxxxxxx immediately to the West.

A quick geological survey found the area to be rife with large, basaltic extrusions characterized by unusual cylindrical formations. The plateau itself appears to be a massive igneous extrusion of a form heretofore un-witnessed by this party. Nor is the plateau itself solid, contrary to appearances. Upon closer inspection, we found a plethora of small caves, including long, uniform shafts similar in shape and size to the cylindrical formations on the surface. Both of our geologists noted a certain organic, almost hive-like appearance, although no such theories of origin were formally entertained by the party.
The plateau is divided north to south by the massive Gauley river, which feeds from the Dolorus Mountains to the north. The river, while home to many species of spearfish, blue stake and fresh-water squid, was found to be largely un-navigable due to the presence of almost constant rapids characterized by large, undercut boulders and massive waterfalls up to 20 feet in height.

The whole of the plateau is covered in dense, old-growth forest with an incredible diversity of flora and fauna. Our party’s naturalist was taxed to record and illustrate hundreds of heretofore unknown species over the course of the expedition. Several of these species proved to be quite dangerous, including the native hornet and multi-organism Wartroom Clusters, whom I am sorry to report claimed two of our men, gods rest their souls.

As we explored the contours of the plateau, we discovered countless sites of clear archeological value, including several impressive and relatively undisturbed ruins of a 2nd age civilization. As we had no trained archeologist in our party, we made a brief inventory of our finds at these sites, including a few sketches, and made note of the sites for future exploration.

In fact, we found some evidence of more recent population in the area. Although no native sitings were confirmed, we found several caves which showed evidence of recent habitation, some of which were very cleverly furnished for the comfort of the occupants. A few fish traps were also discovered in a shallows of the Gauley River. There appears to be a small and highly reclusive native population, most likely hunter-gatherers, settled in the natural protection of the plateau.

Ultimately, our expedition was to end in tragedy. We found that in addition to the native wildlife, there were elevated populations of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx from the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. While camped below the west rim of the plateau, we were set upon by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxI was forced to leave my men xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx recovered but three xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx rescued by company security forces. When we returned to the area xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx marked by only a few entrails, GRTS. Further reconnaissance of the western xxxxxxxxxxxxxx was declined by Middle Management, who proposed instead to send in the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Company Security to further investigate the area. Despite repeated warnings, they seem undeterred in their interest in this particular area . . .

Character Descriptions
Lonnesurprised.png

Lonneembarrassed-1.png

Lonnegrumpy-1.png

Lonne

The bulk of this story follows our lanky, scabby-kneed, 15 year-old heroine, Lonne. It’s pretty fair to say that Lonne can run faster, climb higher and spit farther than any guy reading this right now. By the age of twelve, Lonne was piloting rafts down the plateau’s own Gauley River, exploring right up to the edge of the Dolorous Mountains, and breaking pack animals just by lookin’ at ‘em funny. Scuttlebutt around the East Plateau says Lonne could find a bushel of tubers blindfolded, and witnesses say she’ll eat nearly a pound of the malodorous vegetable at a sitting. Even as a youngster, Lonne showed a lot of promise as a fighter – a trait valued by the pacifist, yet stolidly independent pioneers. Lonne generally avoids a scrap, but is fiercely protective of her younger brother, Kim, who follows her around everywhere.

But here’s the thing, fellas: if you want to see Lonne reduced to white, stammering terror, just ask her to dance. She’s . . . awkward (to put it kindly) – all knees and elbows, two left feet, calloused hands, and a walk one would describe as “birdlike.” She can shoot the breeze with the gruffest pioneers (it ain’t poetry, you know) but polite conversation tends to leave her a little tongue-tied – particularly with boys her age. To complicate matters, Lonne, like a lot of 15 year old girls, is unsure of who she is, and who she wants to be. Is it all right for a girl to chew root bark? Does she care about being . . . pretty? And why is it that being one of the boys isn’t as important anymore as being noticed by the boys?

Battle Characteristics

Melee attacks 4
Range attacks 3
Non-standard attacks 3
Strength 3
Speed 5
Agility 5
Mental abilities 2

Kimhappy-1.png

Kimtense.png

Kimworried-1.png

Kim

Kim is, for better or worse, the center of Lonne’s life. He’s her little brother, only four years younger, but separated by more than age. Kim was a sickly child, with a small frame and a mild disposition, as timid and retiring as Lonne is bold. He’s basically clueless when it comes to getting along in the woods, and is far more at home in the imaginary world of books and legends. Yet Kim idolizes Lonne, as if she were a mythic heroine from one of his books, and follows her everywhere. Lonne, for her part – though she may grumble about having to look after him – would walk through fire to keep Kim safe.

This is where the relationship gets complicated. See, Kim has this mysterious health condition, which makes it very, very important that he stay calm at all times. It falls on Lonne to protect Kim from anything that might cause him undue excitement or distress. Furthermore, no one is supposed to know about Kim’s condition, most especially not the COMPANY which owns most of the territory around the plateau, and which shows an unusual level of interest in the personal lives of its worker-clientele.

Battle Characteristics

Melee attacks 1
Range attacks 2
Non-standard attacks 3
Strength 1
Speed 4
Agility 2
Mental abilities ???

Screenshots
(Some of these shots are from development & still have the default windowskin)
10.jpg

11.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

battlepic.png

screenie12.jpg

screenie11.jpg

screenie10.jpg

screenie9.jpg

screenie8.jpg

screenie6.jpg

screenie5.jpg

screenie4.jpg

screenie3.jpg

screenie2.jpg

screenie1.jpg

Credits
- Enu SBS
Atoa
Kylock
Mr. Bubble
cairn
Shu
Moonlight
NightWalker
Squall
KGC
Herena
- Additional map graphics by
Wyatt
Inquisitor
- Face pictures by CompulsoryHero
- Additional character sprites by Sapphiro
- Message window system
Slipknot
Dubealex
RPG Advocate
Special Weather Effects by ccoa
- Anti-Lag Scripting
Amaranth
Angelix
Shaz
Near Fantastica
- Additional scripting by Jimme Reashu
- Enemy and Items list by Cold Strong
- Skills Learning System by Charlie Lee
- Save System Fix by SephirothSpawn
- Testing by Lewis B (aka Freddy Sometimes) & Tutis678
- Intro music by Sun City Girls and Godspeed You Black Emperor
- Exit music by Irena and Black Mountain
- Maps, eventing, and all additional sprites and scripting by Traverse
- Written, compiled and directed by Traverse

This looks pretty damn cool! I'll dl later and give my thoughts. I have a question - the screen covered in those dragonfly things - do you fight those all at once? Because I love those types of fights.

Swarms feature largely in Ch.1. The effect uses ccoa's lovely weather script. Unfortunately, (or fortunately, as it may be) you fight no more than 4 at a time.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but has anyone had problems with the download from mediafire? I've had 2 people report an error (SLS line 209) after the first battle (with the bats). These were the only reports of this error, after the download link has been available for some time, so I'm wondering if this problem is specific to a situation, or if everyone is having this error. It was certainly never a problem in beta.

Please post if you've had this error, and I'll either fix the issue or request this thread be moved (to games in development) until the problem is resolved.

Thanks in advance.

@Traverse":2225z1ul said:
I've had 2 people report an error (SLS line 209) after the first battle (with the bats). These were the only reports of this error, after the download link has been available for some time, so I'm wondering if this problem is specific to a situation, or if everyone is having this error. It was certainly never a problem in beta.

Please post if you've had this error, and I'll either fix the issue or request this thread be moved (to games in development) until the problem is resolved.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there!
I've also had an error message popup after the first bat battle..(something about the skills). Sorry can't tell you exactly what the message said, as I have deleted the game since I thought it was unplayable.

I hope you can fix the error soon. Really looking forward to playing this. I was really absorbed in the game atmosphere (which is something a lot of the new games don't have). All the best.

The download was a bum copy w/ save files & other junk causing the issue. I've uploaded a new copy and updated all links. Please download again, and sorry about the trouble!

I played this a while ago and i liked the main characters and the dungeons. The mapping wasn't always up too par. But as the game progressed, the maps became better. Definitely one of the better games on here and worth playing.

I am going to say that I only have been playing for 30 minutes, but this game rocks! I love the way you did the battle system with being calm and angry/depressed! You did amazing on telling story, and I love the game! :P Let's just say it inspired me to start working on mine again...thank you!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.