Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content Dark Horizon

Dead content awaiting restoration.
I was looking for this thread. I kind of like the game, though its cliched plot kind of gets me a tad bored of it, but the games music is great!

And one other thing: Why did you use a BeastMan.exe sprite as one of the battlers? Beast Man's design is robotic and for a futuristic setting, and the setting of this game is too fantasy-ish for such a sprite to exist. What am I suggesting that you do? Find another sprite that gets you the image you intend and also fits with the setting of the game.

Really great demo. The only think that bothers me is that it looks like the character faceset graphics look like they are from an Eroge.

There are way too many games using Kazue Yamamoto's character art. :/
Really? The only other English RM game I know of is Cell Chamber. But I have seen quite a few Japanese ones.

The one called "Slash Beast" or something like that.
All right. I'll start looking for a diffrent one.

I finished the demo a little while ago and I was pretty impressed, but I have some issues.

Pros:

Most of the maps are done really well. I do like the old RM2K graphics, because I think they look less goofy than some of the new ones. Also, I really like the character graphics. Good job on the menu system as well.

The shadows were a very nice touch and were done very well.

The characters would be really nice if they weren't all the same personality. Also, you could add a few more unimportant agents. It seems kinda strange that they're staging a rebellion against the Empire with only the few fighters and the two maids.

I really enjoy the music in the game. I didn't experience any noticeable lag, so whatever format you're using seems fine to me.

The game is plenty challenging (although maybe a little shake-up in things you fight would be fine). The recovery crystals kinda throw things off a little bit, but it's just a demo, so that wasn't that big of an issue.

Cons:

Like JStreet said, the dialogue seemed really choppy and progression seemed to move too quickly for the story. It seemed to be heading in an interesting direction, but things could've been slowed down a little more. The introduction of new characters was always really sudden (namely Nora).

Every character really has the same personality (based on gender), which is pretty annoying. That's probably the area that needs the most work, in my opinion.

The title screen really kills me. You could really use a different font color or at least some sort of shadowing, because as it is right now, it's very difficult to read and does not match the rest of the game.

A different battle system would work very well, probably either ATB or CTB. I feel like characters like Nora should be attacking a little more frequently than Cain or Josh.

I don't know if this was intentional, but Cara was almost a clone of Cain in battle.

I might be the only one, but I found the mapping to be a little confusing on that first forest map.

The story also isn't all too riveting, and I'm kinda confused whether or not the main enemy is the Dark Lord or the Emperor.

Overall, good job so far, but there are a few kinks that you need to work out.

Thank you for your review! I'm glad you liked it.

Like JStreet said, the dialogue seemed really choppy and progression seemed to move too quickly for the story. It seemed to be heading in an interesting direction, but things could've been slowed down a little more. The introduction of new characters was always really sudden (namely Nora).
I've already re-written all the dialouge. It should be much better in the next version.

The title screen really kills me. You could really use a different font color or at least some sort of shadowing, because as it is right now, it's very difficult to read and does not match the rest of the game.
I have a new title screen now. It will be in the next version.

Also, you could add a few more unimportant agents. It seems kinda strange that they're staging a rebellion against the Empire with only the few fighters and the two maids.
There's only a few people there because it's only one small outpost. There's many other outposts and rebels that will be introduced in chapter 2+.

The story also isn't all too riveting, and I'm kinda confused whether or not the main enemy is the Dark Lord or the Emperor.
In the end (Chapter 3), neither will be the true villian.

Few problems with the demo I just downloaded:

- missing the audio file for battle (Game crashed when I got attacked)
- I appear to be missing a font necessary for the status screen. No fonts were included in the file archive.

Which audio file does it say you're missing? It appears to be working for me. And there is currently no text on the status screen. It was a Japanese script that used an image background with all the text. I'll do something about that in future releases though.

GAH! I forgot to change the player start position before I uploaded it! That's why! I don't have time to reupload it tonight but I will tommrow!

Heh the bad guy in your game is a complete total moron/idiot:

http://www.razkertim.com/razkertim/lol/stupidevilvillain.jpg[/img]
So your badguy attacks the party with the intention to kill them, then decides to leave them alive. Why??? He just broke one of the most critical rules/laws of the evil overlord!

He's really not supposed to be the most intelligent. :D He thinks too much of himself and...
...that's what will lead to his death in the beginning of chapter 2

sithlord999;284275":188fb70k said:
He's really not supposed to be the most intelligent. :D He thinks too much of himself and...
...that's what will lead to his death in the beginning of chapter 2

Hehe right on! (Sorry I didn't get very far yet :P)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.