Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Under World 3

Completed Action-RPG: Under World 3

Download:
http://rpgmaker.net/games/1333/

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Byaz_TS2Sc

Screen Shots:
12.jpg
11.jpg

8.jpg
9.jpg

4.jpg
5.jpg

6.jpg
7.jpg

10.jpg
1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg

Story:
Jeff, the main character, struggles through an endless war of good versus evil. He is the only one who can see the true dark side to his former leader, Dawn. It is kind of challenging to stand against such a dark power when nearly the whole world is on the wrong side, due to blind judgments made by a destructive leader. Not only will Jeff have to fight off an army of mislead, doomed souls, but he will have to stand up against some of the most carnivorous calamities known to man.

It is a story of passion. Not only of love--but love of hate.

The story begins at Jeff's small house with his current lover, Shannon. He just can't seem to get over his father's recent death, caused by Dawn's army, the Legions of Light. His guilt and shame he feels for not protecting his father when he needed it is overwhelming and draining. As an ex-soldier of the legion, he has decided to try to live a life without violence and hatred, but certain circumstances make that dream impossible.

Learn more about Jeff's family and his past as you play through this epic story full of greed, betrayal, and pure evil.

Features:
-more than 8 hours of gameplay
-many button-bashing, intense battles
-very large bosses to fight that take up nearly the whole screen
-an extremely large, in-depth level up system with many features, including challenges to win extra experience points
-ability to upgrade your character with whatever skills you want, melee or magic-based
-a very entertaining martial arts system, enabling you to perform hit combos on enemies
-more than 50 weapons
-more than 40 unique spells
-more than 30 shape changes
-suits of armor
-magical rings you can create using rare elements
-telekinetic abilities
-in-depth story sequences
-3 towns full of friends to make, secrets to uncover, and side quests to complete
-ability to open your own shops

Bottom line:
This game is neither boring nor repetitive. I did my very best to make every battle unique and I avoided cutting any corners around the plot and the battle system. This has been a full-on year project and I am very proud to present it to the world. I hope you enjoy!

Please email me if you have ANY questions at all. Do not private message me on here, because I dont check my PMs nearly as often as I check my email.

eagankid@yahoo.com

I think your game is lacking in story, but the gameplay looks really good. You're mapping isnt really great and there are graphical inconsistencies. But overall i think the gameplay might be some of the best i've ever seen in an rmxp game. (That dinosaur/eyeball boss looks epic). I'll play it tommorow, it's past midnight here.

gRaViJa":kxwe16cm said:
I think your game is lacking in story, but the gameplay looks really good. You're mapping isnt really great and there are graphical inconsistencies. But overall i think the gameplay might be some of the best i've ever seen in an rmxp game. (That dinosaur/eyeball boss looks epic). I'll play it tommorow, it's past midnight here.

Awesome dude, can't wait to hear about your experience!

number nine":kxwe16cm said:
man does this seem really all over the place

Hmmmm...is that good or bad?

mawk

Sponsor

I dunno, to tell you the truth. you got a lot of stuff going on here, and I'm left wondering if it's all cream or if you've just done a lot of things halfway. guess I gotta play it to find out.

going by your screenshots, uh, your bosses are really ugly. don't use photoshop filters for texture or shading, and don't mix pixel art with straight pencil art. I know you don't have a lot of choice since honestly not a lot of people are going to have what it takes to pixel something that takes up most of a 640x480 screen but you can at least work to make things fit a little better, y'know?

but your focus is obv on gameplay (which is just crazy and weird for an rpg but not in a bad way) so I'll play it and see just how that pans out

number nine":2ngt121t said:
but your focus is obv on gameplay (which is just crazy and weird for an rpg but not in a bad way) so I'll play it and see just how that pans out

Yes, please do. Even if the bosses aren't graphically amazing, you gotta give me credit for trying something nobody ever does in RPG games. Besides, when you're playing the bosses, they are actually pretty fun. There are a few that are very challenging as well.

And as far as doing things halfway, that was Under World 2. I figured out what could be improved from that game and honestly pushed myself 150% in this game, so things shouldn't feel very halfway in this. I hope they don't seem that way. They sure didn't when I was programming them. That's what I do though. I make games, figure out the things that could improve, then make better games.

I appreciate your criticism for sure, but I still hope you can enjoy this project when you play it. My primary goal in this game was to entertain--to create something that will keep people interested, engaged, and excited as they progress through my vision of the "perfect" RPG. Not trying to say mine was "perfect" by any means (I am far from capable of making a perfect game), but I am saying that I do not slack when it comes to these games. This game is definitely not halfway done.

Well, I guess I'll just wait 'till you play it to hear your real opinion. :shades:

Downloading right now. But, dammit! I thought I was the only one who was doing out-of-battle, evented boss fights! Well, I guess it's not that bad because our bosses will most likely be very different :) The game does look very heavy on gameplay though. This might turn out to be a game that doesn't even NEED a story to be engaging!

Okay I downloaded it and started playing a bit here are my thoughts so far:
First off those books look really odd on the ground
The barrels are a nice touch - but the puzzles made with them are awfully simple

The battle system is surprisingly engaging,
however I can easily win just by running away and spamming the burn spell.
Damn that was one weak-ass boss

Meh long and sappy cutscene bleh, I thought this game was gameplay based

The appease system is awfully half-baked,
conversations can get pretty interesting
but when it comes to charming our character is one dumb ass,
Seriously, who would say"Nice Ass I would tap that" to A GUY?!?! O.o
This part could use major improvement

Another long ass annoying cutscene
Damn Guards are assholes
oh and the knight sprite doesn't fit with the RTP
That bitch is one hell of a hypocrite - she bust me for leaving when she left the army herself !!!!

Another LONG SAPPY CUTSCENE atleast this one explains some system
All these cutscenes in a row are really turning me off

LEVEL UP YEAH
but wait how did I show up in this castle?
Ah all these pillars are skill upgrades
But... ...which... ...to... ..choose....
Next room
Cool pretty flower
WHAT I HAVE TO LEAVE - man I didn't even pick a single skill

Random scenes about things I have no clue about

Start of another cutscene

-QUIT GAME
yeah that was my experience - not the best ever
and now more details on a couple of points

It is nice and fresh to have an intricate level up system, but your sticking us in way over our heads,
I had absolutely nooooo clue what did what, and that made me quit
seriously some explanation would be nice
And what's with these screens that show up, I can own shops??

fluctuates from passable to awful,
Overall its overly large undetailed and you use some tiles improperly
such as using the wooden floorboard as wall D:
And the forest where I met the witch was absolutely awful - arrrgggh that canopy autotile

The large amount of cutscenes - at least in the begging- seriously detract from the experience
I came into this game expecting to do outrageous things like fight that big-ass Eyeball boss
instead I have the listen to half an hour of story after 4 repetitive fights :\
Pacing need to be worked on

Oh and I also have to mention that your game is unencrypted - you know that right?

Well anyway I had an all right experience so far,
this game piqued my intrest but sadly it wasn't what I expected
This game is good, but it could be so much better...
I hope you're willing to put more work into it

Velocir_X":x8crqsmd said:
Okay I downloaded it and started playing a bit here are my thoughts so far:
First off those books look really odd on the ground
The barrels are a nice touch - but the puzzles made with them are awfully simple

The battle system is surprisingly engaging,
however I can easily win just by running away and spamming the burn spell.
Damn that was one weak-ass boss

Meh long and sappy cutscene bleh, I thought this game was gameplay based

The appease system is awfully half-baked,
conversations can get pretty interesting
but when it comes to charming our character is one dumb ass,
Seriously, who would say"Nice Ass I would tap that" to A GUY?!?! O.o
This part could use major improvement

Another long ass annoying cutscene
Damn Guards are assholes
oh and the knight sprite doesn't fit with the RTP
That bitch is one hell of a hypocrite - she bust me for leaving when she left the army herself !!!!

Another LONG SAPPY CUTSCENE atleast this one explains some system
All these cutscenes in a row are really turning me off

LEVEL UP YEAH
but wait how did I show up in this castle?
Ah all these pillars are skill upgrades
But... ...which... ...to... ..choose....
Next room
Cool pretty flower
WHAT I HAVE TO LEAVE - man I didn't even pick a single skill

Random scenes about things I have no clue about

Start of another cutscene

-QUIT GAME
yeah that was my experience - not the best ever
and now more details on a couple of points

It is nice and fresh to have an intricate level up system, but your sticking us in way over our heads,
I had absolutely nooooo clue what did what, and that made me quit
seriously some explanation would be nice
And what's with these screens that show up, I can own shops??

fluctuates from passable to awful,
Overall its overly large undetailed and you use some tiles improperly
such as using the wooden floorboard as wall D:
And the forest where I met the witch was absolutely awful - arrrgggh that canopy autotile

The large amount of cutscenes - at least in the begging- seriously detract from the experience
I came into this game expecting to do outrageous things like fight that big-ass Eyeball boss
instead I have the listen to half an hour of story after 4 repetitive fights :\
Pacing need to be worked on

Oh and I also have to mention that your game is unencrypted - you know that right?

Well anyway I had an all right experience so far,
this game piqued my intrest but sadly it wasn't what I expected
This game is good, but it could be so much better...
I hope you're willing to put more work into it

Okay, well first of all, thanks for the feedback... I know things that should be improved. So if I explained the level up system more and made an option to skip the cutscenes, it would be a lot better? I will do that. But honestly, you're going to complain about the first boss being really lame? That's kind of a lame complaint... How many games really start out with a huge friggin' demon boss? You just have to keep playing and it gets more and more intense. Trust me. Anyways, thanks for your feedback. It was honestly very helpful. Now to get to work. Expect an upgraded version of this. I will keep making corrections because I care about making this one of the most entertaining RPG's made with RPG Maker. I want it to be a great experience for everyone :)

I understand that talking about the first boss being lame is lame,
it was more about the fact that it seemed to me that the battles (at least the first ones)
could be beat easily by just running and spamming the fire spell
some things are over exaggerated - don't worry :)

As for so far it was entertaining believe me,
but it can be improved

Furthermore its not just about putting the option to skip the cutscenes, I am genuinely interested in them ,
Rather more about putting a bit more gameplay elements between them so they don't drag out into one big movie

Also one thing I forgot to mention -
those popups that appear over peoples heads when they talk are really annoying and only break immersion,
they're unnecessary, save them for ! moments

Well anyway glad to help :D
I hope you get this up to perfection

Velocir_X":2hfzqwiv said:
I understand that talking about the first boss being lame is lame,
it was more about the fact that it seemed to me that the battles (at least the first ones)
could be beat easily by just running and spamming the fire spell
some things are over exaggerated - don't worry :)

As for so far it was entertaining believe me,
but it can be improved

Furthermore its not just about putting the option to skip the cutscenes, I am genuinely interested in them ,
Rather more about putting a bit more gameplay elements between them so they don't drag out into one big movie

Also one thing I forgot to mention -
those popups that appear over peoples heads when they talk are really annoying and only break immersion,
they're unnecessary, save them for ! moments

Well anyway glad to help :D
I hope you get this up to perfection

Well the first battles are more like the tutorial in how to work everything. Notice how you get pretty much one of every single type of weapon to play with? The first battles are extremely lame and yeah they can all be slaughtered with the fire spell, cause they are all weak to fire. But that's not the point of the first battles. I would recommend you play around with every bit of equipment to see which area you want to focus on, like the bow even? That does wicked damage, but it is difficult to use. Or shape change? Or just melee.

And as far as the cut scenes that drag...so you DON'T think that having the option to skip them is necessary? What about when you play through for the second time? Do you think that you are going to be able to tolerate them again? And I understand that you want to do more stuff in between them and all, but some of the greatest games--like Final Fantasy VII in my opinion--have wicked long cut scenes that seem to drag. I don't really know what you want me to do there. I'm not really up for redoing every single cut scene and adding little things to keep you occupied. Seriously, I want to do what I can to make this game the best it can be...but the story is written. I'm not going to adjust how the story is delivered...I dunno. That's why I'm going through now and giving the option everywhere because if you're just looking for a game where you can kill things, you're not going to want to sit through a story, but you will have the option to skip all the long cut scenes. I'm willing to do that to make it better. I've already edited up to chapter 3. This can be fixed tonight.

Finally, with the bubbles that appear when people are talking...dude, really? I look at that as also kind of lame to complain about, but I'll listen. What do you think would be better? I don't really know what you expect me to do with that. What would look less annoying to show who is talking? I need some sort of signal to show who is saying what or the dialogue will be more confusing than my level up system.

Anyways, my thoughts...

I understand about the first battles - don't worry I expected that, no bigie
and I did play with the bow, it was fun :3, though I almost got run over by a bear

I'm not saying not to have the option to skip them available, that would be real handy to 2nd time players
I'm just saying that for first-time players you should space 'em out
And that doesn't mean having to change the presentation of the story,
Something as simple as adding a couple of side puzzles in the first town (other tan the friendship thing)
that are easily noticeable

As for the bubbles, it may seem like a lame complaint,
but that's something that really sticks out and kills emersion - believe me, been there done that
you can easily identify people talking by taking one of the many scripts around this site that allow you to show a faceset or name above the message box, much less distracting and still shows who's talking

Velocir_X":k5xom60o said:
I understand about the first battles - don't worry I expected that, no bigie
and I did play with the bow, it was fun :3, though I almost got run over by a bear

I'm not saying not to have the option to skip them available, that would be real handy to 2nd time players
I'm just saying that for first-time players you should space 'em out
And that doesn't mean having to change the presentation of the story,
Something as simple as adding a couple of side puzzles in the first town (other tan the friendship thing)
that are easily noticeable

As for the bubbles, it may seem like a lame complaint,
but that's something that really sticks out and kills emersion - believe me, been there done that
you can easily identify people talking by taking one of the many scripts around this site that allow you to show a faceset or name above the message box, much less distracting and still shows who's talking

I understand about not having as many other things in the first town--though there is enough to keep you busy for at least a half hour. You just have to talk to people and figure things out. Also, I'm just going to say right now that I won't be adding the name of the person who's talking cause that would seriously take me weeks. There is so much dialogue that there's no way I'm going to do that. It's not that its too much work, its just that I'm not that passionate about fixing something that I don't feel is a huge issue. I mean, would it help if I maybe shrunk down the "!"...made it smaller? Maybe just make the character flash white instead of showing a "!". I'm willing to make that adjustment. Also, you mentioned earlier about how you didn't know that you could have shops. If you search around the town there is a person who tells you all about it. Not only that, but there is a book that explains all about shops and just the town in general before you even enter. It would be very wise to read all the books that appear in the scenes.

Finally, just to let you know, the 2nd and 3rd towns are both stacked with things to do...like locked houses, side quests, hidden chests, more buried treasure, ring element instructions, shops... You can earn soooo much money from the towns.

ooh cool, I had no clue, goes and replays first town
making it a bit more apparent would be nice
but still how did I not realize /facepalm

as for the text - you can do something as simple as just making it appear and not pop up,
and delete that annoying noise, that should make it less distracting

Velocir_X":32tw8511 said:
ooh cool, I had no clue, goes and replays first town
making it a bit more apparent would be nice
but still how did I not realize /facepalm

as for the text - you can do something as simple as just making it appear and not pop up,
and delete that annoying noise, that should make it less distracting

I'm sorry, but what noise? There is no noise when dialogue pops up. Only noise I can think of is the punching of the space bar on your keyboard :wink: and that ain't anything I can fix :tongue:

You don't here the "popup" sound?
I checked our database - there isn't any sound,
odd I must be hearing things O.o
Sorry my mistake

but still making it abit more opaque and not pop-up as much would be nice

Well anyway thanks for taking my crits,
though you didn't seem to reply to my points about mapping at all..

Velocir_X":l67xpfmw said:
You don't here the "popup" sound?
I checked our database - there isn't any sound,
odd I must be hearing things O.o
Sorry my mistake

but still making it abit more opaque and not pop-up as much would be nice

Well anyway thanks for taking my crits,
though you didn't seem to reply to my points about mapping at all..

I'll be honest. My mapping skills are horse shit compared to my programming and inventing skills. I understand some of the maps are pretty lame, but I dunno what I can do about that. I'm honestly not an amazing mapper. I mean, the tile sets I chose were all pretty limited due to them being RTP. I understand how that could be kinda annoying, using almost all RTP with mapping and such, but I dunno. Haha, I mean, its an RPG Maker XP game for free. I wanna make this as enjoyable as I can but don't expect a new Zelda quality or a game as epic as Final Fantasy. I never plan on getting "big" or "popular" off of making RPG Maker XP games. It's just something I've become really passionate about. Just so happens, my mapping skill is just not as good as everything else I succeed in. Not sure what else to say about that.

No I understand using RTP, and I can understand that programmers aren't exceptional mappers
(heheh, vgvgf and Demonfire fell out of the mapping contest first)
but there are several errors in the usage of tiles and its pretty bland,
I mean it wouldn't be that hard to get some proper mapper to go and fix it map by map without changing events or the general structure...

truth be told I'm willing to do it, but then again I'm not the best around

Velocir_X":1yq4gz6m said:
No I understand using RTP, and I can understand that programmers aren't exceptional mappers
(heheh, vgvgf and Demonfire fell out of the mapping contest first)
but there are several errors in the usage of tiles and its pretty bland,
I mean it wouldn't be that hard to get some proper mapper to go and fix it map by map without changing events or the general structure...

truth be told I'm willing to do it, but then again I'm not the best around

I could understand changing some of the battle maps, but the maps where deep story takes place might be kinda risky, since i already have a walking path set up for all the characters... I guess who ever did that would just have to be very careful at where they put solids. But yeah, I really don't know what to add to these maps... I mean, there really isn't much in most forests besides, stones, logs, trees, occasional dirt road, etc... But yeah, so I'm still workin' on adding the option to skip cut scenes...do you ultimately think that will be worth it? Or more of a waste of time... Cause again, I will be willing to do that to make the game better, I just don't wanna change something MASSIVE in the game if its not gonna be all that worth it, cause it honestly is a ton of work.

Skipping cutscenes is definitive worth it
so is an explanation to the level up system

As for mapping - I don't think it'd be too difficult
and not strenuous, since most of you're internal maps are pretty solid except for some tile usage mistakes
courtesy of Tindy:
mountaingood.jpg

courtesy of 006:
FinalImage.png

courtesy of Acera:
finito.png
In fact I would be willing to do it, no credit required, as soon as you upload an updated demo,
hate to see something detract from such a promising game
preliminaryroundfixup.png

Its far from perfect but its what I had easy and nearby, meh not too good with plains, overdid the posts - but still

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.