Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[XP] How to easily change the party size limit

Hey guys, I tried searching to see if this topic has already been posted but I couldn't find anything so I wanted to post this here in case anyone wanted to do this and so that if I forget how to do it I'll be able to figure it out again by looking at this post.

So, I'm actually really surprised I can't find another post mentioning this as this is actually really easy to do, perhaps one of the easiest things you will ever do with RPG Maker XP. I've tried this on a variety of different battle systems and menu scripts and they've all worked 100% for me (except that if you have a menu designed to show 4 party members, any party members above the default of 4 will be displayed off the screen but will still be selectable.)

So here we go. Take a breath, because its a lot to take in... a lot of nothing! That's right, this procedure only requires 1, yes 1, step!

Go to the default Game_Party script in the script editor and scroll down to line 109 where it should say:

# If the party has less than 4 members and this actor is not in the party
if @actors.size < 4 and not @actors.include?(actor)

Now all you need to do is change the '4' to whatever number you want your maximum party size to be! Yup, that's all there is to it! So, if you like 6 party members, then you should replace these two lines with this:

# If the party has less than 6 members and this actor is not in the party
if @actors.size < 6 and not @actors.include?(actor)

You can also change it to a number less than 4 if you want less than 4 party members at any given time. If you have another script that contains this snippet of code as well you will probable have to make the same changes there too, but I haven't seen any scripts that overwrites this so chances are you won't have to worry about that. I hope this helps!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.