Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

What are you working on? (Game Making Thread)

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

Outside of the one Surreal Difficulty, Haven and Zirkov are both done!

In addition... Postmartia, outside of two more intense events, is also done!

Just 39 events remaining.
9G6YgD5.png

Here's some previews!

Haven
SjTWSs1.png
m6mnSZY.png

Zirkov
lupJz0p.png
wkR9XiO.png

Postmartia
ynBSD5R.png
UIiXZIW.png

I also did this small optional event cinematic for one of Postmartia's events which needed the gravitas.

Polaris Arrival
That's all for now~!

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

27 Events Remain

Got Nadine's events finished last night. Finished Zen Nekoma's events (all six of the scenes) two nights before. Got the first two Nadine events done the night before last.
NloLYbT.png
And only eight of those are scenes. The rest is medium difficulty or above boss fights / obstacle courses.

Pjcr
Got four more Xeltara, leaving only two before I can animate the facial expressions and implement them in game..
8ZNiERs.png

So that's pretty cool!

Here's a couple videos...

Fireworks show thats plays during the finale of the Zen Nekoma events.

And the second Nadine event, finally giving Gerald a shining character moment!

Please forgive the obvious placeholders for Anathema and Senshi!!!

Oh yeah... Screenshots time!
7QmN56M.png
2n4vaPx.png
18H2Sd6.png
j8vnysj.png

ILu8O26.png
x29hxx2.png
CF1o5L7.png

bu0HbQ7.png

I shall see if I can't get the last eight scene events done over the following 24 hours.

D1szqmG.png

Getting closer to finishing this pirate ship map for FANTASIA.
I feel like I've been working on this forever. It doesn't look like much. This is one of those projects I could work on all night and feel like I'm not getting any progress.
I did not bunker down a few weeks ago, because I ended up going on a road trip. Then my laptop battery died, I ordered a new one, waited a week, they refunded it. Idk if they were out of stock or it got lost in the mail or what.

This has been a crappy year. I've barely drawn anything. I've barely played anything. I probably only made about 50 posts here this year.

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

Looks amazing! It'll look a lot less barren once we have some clutter for it.

This year has probably been one of the most productive since 2015. The sheer magnitude of work I started with, compared to the pittance that now remains manages to even make me feel good. Between the open beta weekend where I finished 50 or so maps within a few days. To going from 116 optional planetary events to the point where now only 25 remain, and it's taken only 3 months.

39 optional events per month, at a rate of over one per day.

This last 30 days has been immensely productive. With an absolute swathe of planetary events being knocked out of the park, we started with zero progress on anything other than one shots, now we're almost finished. With 2 scenes left for Galaxia and 4 for Tekerlek.

Over the weekend I took a break to stave off some mild though very expected burn out, and to process legal forms to keep the place I'm living in. The forms as of today (monday) have been lodged so now I have but to wait for the hearing to be arranged.

Xiie should be back about any day now, Pjcr has finished submitting the Xeltara and is now onto Lilith.

Xeltara
EGVZJ3U.png

The final pose and two facial expressions. Tonight i will implement them and see about finishing off the galaxion scene events. Now after a break I'm keyed to get back to work. I intend to change my routine back to my shitty hot topic vampire variety as the Australian summer gorws in intensity.

So... Will we be done in time?

The influx of files Pjcr has been sending is great, but not nearly fast enough. There is still much to submit and Pjcr having reliable net will not magically fix everything. At the current rate we're looking at a march 14th release instead, which is bad and far from schedule, but this is actually good news.

With Xiie back in the game soon, she too will have a hard time catching up to present demand, even with the absolute hoard of files she's worked on, there is much i have not been able to get her to make for lack of context and her internet being too poor to accept image files.

That's nothing to say of my own progress, while yes, if all events left were merely scenes, I could easily make the deadline, but only 6 of the remaining events are scenes, the remaining 19 are boss fights from medium, to hard, to surreal difficulty. This is also the disk where the first of four superbosses becomes available, rated on the INSANE difficulty. While there are exceptions, these difficulties for players also match up relatively well with the effort and difficulty of production for me to develop. There's also a lot of interface upgrades to be implemented, such as rewards. That's not to mention the custom VA these optional bossfights will necessitate, and given the line up of professional VAs i have for many of these characters, and my limited fortnightly budget, it may just be infeasible to release this game on December as originally promised.

So... what will happen?

The December Delta Build

Demo 3 has already had an Alpha, and a beta as was the weekend in Janurary this year, so when did Gamma happen?

Gamma was a closed doors build that nobody actually got to try because it got cancelled for a fairly valid reason. it was scheduled for June 6 but it was one day earlier that my PC bricked.

So I decided to just move on ahead, planning a delta build in november, but this would leave only a month for testers, and my breaker is very thorough and a month is simply not enough time, this game is too massive.

So putting all things in perspective, moving the delta build to december seems like a fair concillation for a failure to release this year, which leaves Demo 3's release a few months to really get things airtight, and ensure all placeholders are more or less a thing of the past.

This would mean Demo 3 would release on 3/14 and our 10th anniversary, the game will also be put on steam, as "early access", the full game should be ready in about a year from then.

Avoiding the Problematic Crunch of Rush
The release of Fantasia Demo 2 didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked. The writing felt disconnected and jarring, and a lot of what was going on made less sense than more- that is where Re-Write came in.

Looking forward, no matter how many delays it takes, I refuse to rush the content. I want to create a game that doesn't need a Re-write patch to fix what should have been correct the first time around.

The only knowledge I had plans to release the game in December comes from the trailer, which is a mistake on my part. That said, there will be SOMETHING that happens in December, be it the Delta build, a Simian Scandal 9.5, or whatever else... I don't intend to say there will be something, only to welcome all who anticipated that with nothing.

If a miracle happens and my artists get me all the files I need, then maybe a December release will be possible. But that's seeming less and less likely with every day that passes. For the 12/12/22 release, all bets are pretty much off already, as that leaves us less than a month to finish everything. 12/22/22 is more plausible, but still unlikely. Doing this would also mean no QA from the delta build, as this would leave no time for a Delta Build to exist.

So in closing: It's more likely a Delta Build will release on the 22nd of December, giving delta testers a little under three months to give feedback, which should be enough. Me and my team can then focus on getting all the resources finished and implemented, while I have the budget to pay the voice actors for their contributions.

This would also give us something to celebrate our 10th Anniversary with, not only our first venture onto the steam platform, but a valuable release as well. If this is the path that ends up being taken, I intend to have the game finished completely before march, allowing me time to prep steam direct and get press material ready and some marketing and hype generation done.

Last edited:

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

Oof! Meanwhile I'm dealing with a bunch of wind.

All but four of the remaining scenes are done. Yes: I finished Galaxia.

Tonight I'll be gearing the S.S. Potassium tileset to work at the scale you intended.

Nothing new from Pjcr yet, and while Xiie has paid the outstanding balance her old ISP threw on her, her new ISP is still in the process of connecting things.

As for me, I have some videos for the Postmartia events.
This one is a three in one combo.

Pjcr's portraits for Xeltara have all been implemented and look stunning!
MkyjnAw.png

qJOeDy4.png

And here's some screenshots showing some of the work I did on Galaxia.
QLpwbdj.png

hzoN9rw.png

BRnmd7y.png

3E9JSyL.png

In preparation for Tekerlek I grabbed the old Battleship sprite my artist Apoc made for Menagerie and lightly edited it and added some recolors.
gRNaiQo.png

Second to the left from the top right is the S.S. Potassium. Top right is Baron Gadzoo's "Ruby Annihilator", second to the right from top-left is the Nadinean Seadrifter, the entire bottom row are so-far unknown ships, though the bottom right is likely to be a Havenian Judicator, with the black sailed ship with red markings likely belonging to another infamous pirate.

At this point I'm too lazy to add in thrusters, though I might grow the enthusiasm in the future.

For reference, the only one of these ships to have been given a legitimate concept or drawing is the S.S Potassium.
Featuring in Highwaymen of the Starlit Sea
flrByDx.png

I should mention that the only reason I left Tekerlek to last in the roadmap was due to the time the assets for this ship took to develop. It's been shown several times that the characters who star in this segment have plenty of good chemistry and I find it a joy to write them!

The events demanded a little editing, so here is the updated Roadmap with changes for Tekerlek added. The bizarre obstacle course event was scrapped and the Anathema bossfight was added in its place and moved to the finale.

Anathema has been planned to be a boss fight since before work on Disk 2 even began. The fact she has an intense music score / theme...
And entries in the database including a medal for impressing her prove that well enough.
ueDADLm.png

So! Without further ado, here is the
4hTwSFZ.png
Still dealing with burnout and a bizarre amount of inter-gestational wind that's making me somewhat uncomfortable so how long things will take to really get rolling again is anyone's guess at this point. But knowing me it won't take too long.

I was wrong. I have 1 more job next month I have to drive to. My schedule for the rest of the year is filling up fast. Unless there's some kind of super blizzard that cancels everything. I can't get much done on the road.

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

Took a while due to a busy weekend and burn out~ But I finished all of the Tekerlek Scene Events.

19 Events remain of 180 total.

In otherwords, only boss battle / obstacle course events to go! A milestone!

I'll complete as many as I can manage before December 22nd. No matter my progress, you will get a delta build!

Screenshots
FjGbbwYagAAPo-C

FjGcbCLaUAAK4Mh

FjGchrjaYAA3FVu

FjGej9OaAAIcIYE

I'm not burned out, I'm just cold stiff. Struggling to get started. I miss my productive all-nighters but I can't mess with my sleep schedule.
I was suppose to be on the road this week. But the job got moved out another week. So now I'm at home trying to get back into that headspace which I haven't been in for a while.

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

I'm not burned out, I'm just cold stiff. Struggling to get started. I miss my productive all-nighters but I can't mess with my sleep schedule.
I was suppose to be on the road this week. But the job got moved out another week. So now I'm at home trying to get back into that headspace which I haven't been in for a while.
You've got until February's end now. The placeholder will work fine for the delta... speaking of which.

Due to taking a break, I only started working on things a couple hours ago. So far, a map for one of the two obstacle courses is nearing completion~!
i9EDz7w.png

It's for this event.
IWIashc.png

Oho~! Speaking of events, I suppose it's time I update the old road map and create a new~!
5RftTYL.png
Now, we have this more fun-size thing~!
z9TEATF.png

Not ticking off Zephyrra's event until it's finished! So far only the map for it is done.

Oh, and that brings me too today's...

ANNOUNCEMENT!
GS2g1aJ.png

Open Delta Weekend premiering on the 17th through to the 18th of December! The events above will not all be finished for it! But I'll do all I can in the week I have! (the last couple days will be for promo / trailer development / doing a playthrough to ensure there are no gamebreakers/soft locks like last time!)

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

Remi that's actually awesome, wanna see it with the Panorama working
Yay I'm glad you approve! I'm torn between having the parallax scroll horrizontally slowly or just having it be centred on player viewport.

Didn't get much done, mostly been playing modded Diablo II: Resurrection. But I should soon be able to get into dev-mode!

My schedule is super cloudy for the rest of the month. I could be gone all week or I could be home doing nothing. I'm driving tomorrow to get in and out of a job early before all the ice and snow hits.
Fingers crossed, I'll be around for the Open Delta.

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

My schedule is super cloudy for the rest of the month. I could be gone all week or I could be home doing nothing. I'm driving tomorrow to get in and out of a job early before all the ice and snow hits.
Fingers crossed, I'll be around for the Open Delta.
Oh, I'd give you a copy even if you were to miss it. Your feedback has always been insightful and good for the game's improvement.

The Open Delta weekend is more for the peeps who would otherwise have to wait. People who have shown themselves as good feedback and sources of wisdom will always get a chance to try the new behemoth.

Oh, right! I made some progress, finished the Obstacle course and boss fight with Zephyrra.

I have a video of the boss fight! Don't wanna make a video for the obstacle course as I'd probably end up going the nominal route and i'd rather players discover that themselves.

What A Wind-God Girl Craves!
I'm hoping to get the two optional events for Postmartia done today. No guarantees though. One is hard, the next is Surreal!

I made a plugin last night that's basically a text log. So I can transcribe the script as I see it to a document. Other text extractors exist, but they don't provide a chronological order of events.

I've tested it out while playtesting the Fantasia Delta Demo

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

I made a plugin last night that's basically a text log. So I can transcribe the script as I see it to a document. Other text extractors exist, but they don't provide a chronological order of events.

I've tested it out while playtesting the Fantasia Delta Demo
Think my friend who thoroughly goes through my game and spots all the dialogue errors could make good use of such a thing!

Oh yeah: This scene is in the Demo build, I just have loads of potential videos with all these scenes!
Please enjoy~!

I've mostly been taking it easy after the delta weekend. I worked myself so hard, it's nice to just be able to relax for a little.

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

Sometimes it's just best to let that stuff grow organically as you go.

Oh yeah, here's another scene I recorded. This one has yet to be hit by the breaker so expect a couple typos I guess.
Still suffering burnout. But all in all a lot of work is being done. My breaker is giving me a good old list of stuff to fix by the day. Coyotecraft has also helped out with finding issues I never would have found myself.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.