Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Wanting to start Game Maker - Where to start ?

Jason

Awesome Bro

Hi,

So I've decided that, instead of working only on RMXP/VX and using RGSS/2 as a scripting language, I'd like to move onto Game Maker, now, I've used it before, I created a game similar to breakout, so nothing special on my behalf, however, I'd like to get a little mroe advanced, and make a platformer game, or maybe even a small sidescrolling RPG.

I already know how much work would have to be put in... alot. But over the next two weeks I'll have quite alot of spare time, so I'm hoping in that gap I'll be able to manage even a small mockup project.

I'd just like to know, could anyone point me to a website with the absolute basics of Game Maker, what I'm really looking for in perticular are;

- Collisions + Input triggers (Example; If I press the attack button while stood next to an enemy, it'll react and die)
- Gravity + Jumping
- While moving the sprite changes (Much like RMXP where you have four frames for each direction)
- Defining solid and passive objects

Thanks to anyone that could post useful information and any links that could help me on my way !

Kelevra

Sponsor

jbrist":3c4eezm3 said:
I'd just like to know, could anyone point me to a website with the absolute basics of Game Maker, what I'm really looking for in perticular are;

Why don't you go to the original GM Community: http://gmc.yoyogames.com/
It is the original community before GM became part of YoYo Games. In any case you will find tons of tutorials and support from people who have been using it since 2005 and maybe even earlier than that.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Ah ofcourse, why the hell didn't I think to check the main forums and website !? I swear this collegework has been frying my brain, I'm not the same person anymore !

Well thanks for the link anyways, haha.

I recommend the book above; we're using it at Uni and so far it seems good. You have to be imaginative and add your own things onto their tutorials though otherwise you won't learn anything.

Jason

Awesome Bro

I love how people have been answering me still since May, lol, and I've been using it a LITTLE since then, I can do the basic moving around and gravity etc.

But the thing I can't get to work are textboxes and lifebars/hearts, I set their value and display it at x and y (I use 10, 10 as an example), but nothing happens...

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.