Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Super Simple Journal giving my Syntax Error

I tried this script, and for whatever reason I keep on getting syntax error every time I play test. I haven't done anything to the scripts nor have I added any extra scripts.

The SyntaxError'd line in question is this:

Code:
    @journal_height = (@data.size - 1)*32   # y coord of entire journal (# of entries - 1) * 32

I have no idea what's wrong with this. Any help?

I can't find anything that would call the error, although with syntax errors it may not necessarily be that line the error is on - it only got picked up there. Is there anywhere you've had to input your own stuff - check any journal entries you've entered is in "speech marks" for example?

That line does not exist within base RPG Maker XP. Are you sure you're not using any custom scripts?
If you're getting a syntax error at a line, it means something likely went wrong above it.

Can you post the entire script it's from?
EDIT: I am blind.

I haven't done ANYTHING to the script or the game. This journal script is the very first one I input into the game. The Syntax Error won't even allow me to start up the main menu. I really have no idea what went wrong. I just copy-pasted the scripts into the game. That is, unless I have to actually have an actual Journal entry coded into the switches/common events/etc.

I tried getting rid of the dummy journal entries that was part of the code in the original thread and it's still giving me the same error for the same line. I tried to search if anyone ever had the same issue, but no luck.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.