Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Standard-RTP Transparency issues?! (RESOLVED!)

Hello I am making a game in RPG Maker XP and I'm importing normal sprites from the RGSS standard library. The strange thing is that the sprites aren't working the way they should. Some characters / tilesets have transparent parts in them (for example a character with white shirt, the shirt dissapears since I selected the white color as transparent (its always the standard color) And I didnt even change the sprites at all. They're imported directly from RGGS Library. So why does this happen?

See? Why is the Girls shirt partly transparent and the bird too?

The sprites are imported straight from RGSS and I didn't edit them, AND the standard transparency color is set.
I am using no standart RTP Package but importing what I need from the RGSS folder. The strange thing is that it DOES work with RTP1 set to standard but not with all three set to none. I tried importing something to another game and the same thing happens. Am I clicking semi-transparent color wrong ( I click black) ?

Please help! I dont wanna change sprites that I dont need to edit to fix this error

RESOLVED!

The RTP sprites use indexed colors and an Alpha channel for transparency.
If it already uses transparency then you should just drop it into the sprites folder instead using the editor's import function.

The standard practice is to use a different color for the background that isn't used for the sprite. But if you're indexing colors to reduce the file size, that extra color that's hidden by the alpha channel is unnecessary.
In this case, the RTP have a white background that's normally removed by the alpha channel. But when you import a sprite through the editor it ignores the alpha channel because you're creating a new alpha channel. By selecting the white background it's makes ALL the white values transparent, such as a dress or the white of the eyes.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.