Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Split Screen

Split screen and restricted view.
I've never seen anyone do this before, at least not used within a scene. It's a pretty a simple technique. Basically instead of changing between maps for a flashback or a scene in a different location, you put both locations close together on the same map. The way you do this is up to you. You could have half the screen made up of tiles while the other half is another location saved onto a panorama. Or just splice both locations together on the same panorama. Then you restrict the view by placing a black picture over the whole screen with circle cutouts. Restricting the view is a great technique for creating suspense. The split screen keeps the scene interesting when two characters are communicating somehow over a distance.
Here's a .gif I put together as an example. (It might not play right until it's fully loaded, or try this)
Screamrpgfun_zps5711312e.gif

Credit to the 1996 movie Scream
See what I did? It probably takes just as much time to set this up as it would to just transfer the player around to different maps. But then you'd have to keep your maps organized and be coordinated with switches and event pages, but everything here is running on a single event.

Jason

Awesome Bro

That's actually... really fucking cool, never thought of doing anything like this before o.O

Good work again coyote! :thumb:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.