Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Screenshots Gallery [Beta]

New system for HBGames Xen!

We now have a screenshots manager which allows you to upload snaps of your games for comments and critique, and display on the homepage.

So how does it work?

Orphaned / Quick Works

If you don't have a game page for your screenshot, or it's just something quick that isn't really attached to a work, click Games in the menu at the top of the page, then click Screenshots Gallery.

From here you can add images for comment and critique.

Games in the Games Manager

If on the other hand you already have a games page, you can instead add your screenshots as a reply to your "discussion" thread, or as an update to your game.

Use the "attach files" link in your post and tag an image. It will be ghosted in the Screenshots Gallery, also providing a handy link back to your game from the screenshot, keeping everything connected!

So you can post screenshots in your game threads and they will appear on the homepage and in the screenshots manager.

On the Homepage?

Currently the homepage automatically shows screenshots that are added to the Screenshots Gallery, however this is understandably a risk.

My File is Too Big!

Make it smaller!

This is a good time to test how good you are at optimising your resources. I can easily add large images so you should be able to too. This is a good time to get used to using services such as TinyPNG, PNGauntlet or similar, to optimise the images you use in your games. This keeps your games user friendly and is kind to your players! If your image is too large for HBGames then it probably has uncollapsed vector elements, layers or other artifacts that should be shaved off.

We don't have a huge amount of hosting space so I'm afraid this is a requirement to use the system.

Unfortunately there is no way to mirror attachments to the game pages themselves in the screenshots gallery. I did ask Xenforo, and it's something that would require custom development.

So to attach a screenshot to a game, one has to open the game and click "Discussion" and then add a reply.

Untitled-2.png

The benefit is however, anyone can add a screenshot to any game, even (especially) players an reviewers!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.