Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

RPG Maker MV MMO Dev Kit

Progress: you can now login (with a hard coded user and pass - haven't made text boxes yet!).

Can't do anything cool once logged in, mind.

aC07wIv.png

(Basically a function that sends a username and encrypted password, and returns "success" or "failure". Sets up a session on the server.).

Error codes!

Bit of an update. You can now log in, and do other stuff on the server.

Provided you're logged in, every time you do an action it updates your last action time. It uses this to decide if you are still logged in or not.

Thus we have some error codes now.

1: not a user
You're not trying to log in, and you've not got a user associated with your IP - no session open

2: not logged in
You're not flagged as logged in: this means you've either never logged in, or have specifically logged out

3: timeout
It's been five minutes or more since your last action. You've drifted offline.

4: user didn't exist
You tried to log in to an undefined username

5: incorrect password
Tried to log in with the wrong password

Now that we have the concept of being online, I can work on an online users list.

Update: online players list

Imagine it graphical.

Ye4PpCk.png

Thanks.

I'm actually having more difficulty than I thought abstracting the things I've done for my game out for public release, but I'll do my best. At present I still don't have the basic system I wanted up as I don't have the time I'd hoped I'd have to do it in.

Marked

I can imagine. I've been writing my own, and I don't think I'll ever be able to create a distributable package for it. I'm not sure what the solution, but the biggest problem that I see is storing member data such as accounts. For my own system, I'm linking the game directly into my forum and authenticating users that way. But I think it may be nearly unusable to distribute something that relies on a MySQL database, but few dev's may have access to one, or won't know how to set one up. Although, that's probably the best route and could be achieved by a step-by-step guide. Another solution is making the whole thing standalone and use some form of HTML5 database... I'm not familiar with those, but if you can store the DB on the server then that's probably the easier thing in terms of a distributable system.

That's basically the system Old Afar used - I figured that using a prebuilt login/register system would be better, and forums come with those already set up and tested. This time around I'm making my own, but there's no reason I couldn't have just gone with the forum method again, in fact it would probably be better for a few reasons, such as the other features you get, having a forum set up for dev communication, and also having a part of your game online if anything goes wrong.

Marked":2us50epd said:
the biggest problem that I see is storing member data such as accounts
From a security standpoint, that is the biggest problem 100% definitely.

Amy, you want to avoid storing user accounts at all costs. If you can, make it so the user has to login via Twitter/Facebook/Google/whatever and this dev kit lets the developers select the service they want to use.

Maybe have phpBB as a hidden option, but you should be discouraging devs from storing anything. Prebuilt by someone else is always better as it moves the security problems away from you and onto some other chump to deal with!

Tying those accounts to game-data can be done in whatever way you want after that. If you're going to go with MySQL or an HTML5 database (basically a file on a webserver) you don't want to be constantly uploading/downloading as that will chew up bandwidth. You need to package the changes up and send them when something significant occurs (change scene, battle start, closed menu after changing equipment).

The most ideal system would be an Amazon S3 service as the bandwidth consumption will be what you pay for, rather than paying for a fixed bandwidth that gets killed in under a month.

Marked

I finally found some time to work on mine. You can find the blog about it here where I'll be posting updates: http://www.gdunlimited.net/games/gdu-mmo-project/blog

0a9edda5645f93d0cd6ac58387ababc9.png

Any multi-player functionality is possible in RMMV. And it's actually very simple using websockets. You simply create events with data, and listen for those events. Since we're using websockets, triggers are pushed to all other player's browsers and you can run whatever logic in real time.

So far I have achieved user authentication where any number of players can move around a map together in real-time. And any number of players can join. Every time a member logs in, he'll show up as a new player on every other player's map. Keep an eye out on the blog if you're interested :)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.