Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

RPG Maker MV announced

Why?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iadfaxNQ6RE

Apparently there's a performance issues and a problem with autotiles. And even though that added an top layer you can't edit layers individually.

I'm going to download the trial. Getting my hopes up about the battle animation editor. I'm sure I'll be let down.

Who are you asking why to?

I chose the wrong words - looking at it now. I meant feel better about being broke, since I can pretend I'm messing with something new for a bit. XD

Ok, the 256x256 map size sounded bad. But it's actually bigger than what I thought it would be.

The battle animation tab is unchanged from previous versions. That screenshot with the animation cell behind the character was a lie. I thought it might be a character height thing. Like an explosion played on the top character would appear behind the lower characters. But that's not the case; animations are always on top. Still can't change the battle back either.

Idk, Animation was a hidden class in the other version. You had to copy stuff out of the help file to see how it handled the Animation cells and and timing.
I'll have to search through the .js to see if their claim of no hidden classes is really true. Looks like its there.
Also, I though you were suppose to be able to change the tilesizes with a plug-in, but I'm starting to think that was a trick with parallax maps and changing character movement, and not an actual change in the map editor.
Edit: I knew it was too good to be true. The plug-in help tells you to make duplicate tilesets; one for the game and one at 48x48 that the editor will display. It works, but shame on whoever was overselling MV capacities - you can do the same thing in the other editors.

Edit 2: Ooo, it plays webm videos. If it support transparencies I might not even need the animation tab...

Spent the night playing with plugins and typing out the beginnings of a guide for others.

I found not having the Script Editor really sped things up. Before, you had to close the script editor to playtest. Then when you got an error you'd have to open everything back up again and the cursor would be were the script failed but usually for me the problem was somewhere else and it just took more time to navigate.
But now all I do is ctrl+s, switch windows, and playtest.

coyotecraft":3d4dxl7x said:
Spent the night playing with plugins and typing out the beginnings of a guide for others.

I found not having the Script Editor really sped things up. Before, you had to close the script editor to playtest. Then when you got an error you'd have to open everything back up again and the cursor would be were the script failed but usually for me the problem was somewhere else and it just took more time to navigate.
But now all I do is ctrl+s, switch windows, and playtest.
If you use Notepad++ you could probably set up a macro to auto-magically launch the game with debug enabled (if that's still a thing). So that would be 1 more step removed from the process!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.