Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

RGSS Quiz

Aran

TUTORIAL":3ldbeal2 said:
FOR QUIZ TAKERS

@Quiz takers: You must state your name, date you applied (MM,DD,YY)and the rank you think you are at. NOTE: even if you are a beginner you can apply for higher level quizzes.
Name: Aran
Date: 07.04.06
Level: Beginner-Intermediate

True or False:
1.) My answer

2.) My answer

3.) My answer

4.) My answer

5.) My answer

Multiple Choice:
1.) My answer

2.) My answer

3.) My answer

Questions: I want some correct answers! NOW, please? How old are you?

TUTORIAL said:
EXAMPLE QUIZ
-I'm not quoting anyone for those who may have been confused
This is an example quiz that I'd like for the Intermediate - Advanced scripters. I felt that since the quiz thing was moving fast enough perhaps I could jump-start it.

Yes, this is a real quiz for Intermediate through Advaned and higher level scripters. But since I might not be able to answer some of the questions I ask, this (JUST THIS ONE) quiz will be for you all to answer a couple of my questions :D. The objective is for you all to get a basic idea of a template if you have not or cannot come up with one of your own.

The answers should be in a spoiler box.
-But what to do about cheaters? This quiz is for the quiz-takers and if they decide to cheat, oh well, they don't receive the full effect of the assessment.

Thread Title [template]: [Name of tester, date (MM,DD,YY)] RGSS Quiz - quiz name

Brief Description [template]: Give a brief description of what your quiz covers (i.e. syntax, rules, etc.), what type of questions it has, etc.

# Questions [template]: Number of questions goes here

Difficulty level [template]: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Mastery (refrence)

Due Date [template]: This is optional. Here you can place the due date of all submissions, if you have one.

Roster [template]: Here, the quiz-maker must record everyone taking his/her quiz. Example:
Code:
[b]Roster:[/b]
[list=1][*]Name
[*]Name
[*]Name
[*]And so on[/list]

Description: A small example of an RGSS Quiz for Intermediate - Advance level scripters.

# Questions: 8

Difficulty: Intermediate - Advanced

Code:
[b]Roster:[/b]
[list=1][*]LegACy
[*]eternal_magus
[*]Paradox
[*]Shark_Tooth
[*]sandgolem
[/list]

--------------------------------Quiz Start---------------------------------
True or False:
  1. A constant's value may change if a method assigns it a new value.
    T F
  2. This syntax '::' represents the relationship between a module and a method or class.
    T F
  3. To pass a value into an empty array you must use the following syntax in a method: return arrayname.
    T F
  4. You may dispose of a window at the end of an update method.
    T F
  5. The syntax '@' before a variable name makes it a class variable.
    T F

Multiple Choice:
  1. Which keywords must always be closed out with an 'end'?
    A) def
    B) case
    C) when
    D) All of the above
  2. Which MUST be capitalized?
    A) definitions (def)
    B) class (class)
    C) module (module)
    D) A & B
    E) B & C
    F) A & C
  3. The keyword 'unless means:
    A) until the specified value is met
    B) the opposite of 'if'
    C) monkeys are blow
    D) All of the above

True or False:
  1. F
  2. T
  3. You tell me
  4. T
  5. F (as far as I know)

Multiple of Choice:
  1. D
  2. E
  3. B (I was gonna go with 'C')

Description: Ruby/RGSS Quiz for Intermediate - Advance level scripters.

# Questions: 8 and a short essay.

Code:
[b]Posters:[/b]
[list=1][*]Daniel3579
[*]Destined
[/list]

--------------------------------Quiz Start--------------------------------
True or False:
  1. You can only "comment" in your script using '#'.
    T F
  2. The 'alias' command replaces the whole block its used on.
    T F
  3. You can't do the following Array = {}, Array.push(object).
    T F
  4. You can't store a class in instance variable only in a global one.
    T F
  5. Variables can be in "".
    T F

Multiple Choice:

1. Ruby is..
    A)Compiled
    B)Object Oriented
    C)Interpreted
    D)C&B
  2. In ruby 0 is
    A) True
    B) False
  3. "return" is used to;
    A) return a object to the caller
    B) exit a block
    C) used to define variables
    D) C&B
    E) A&B

Short Essay
    Explain the differences between attr_accessor, attr_writer, attr_reader.
True or False
1- False, you can also use "=begin" "=end"
2- False, the alias command only edits, it doesn't replace.
3- True, Considering thats not an array, its a hash XP
4- False, you can store a class in a intance variable or a global one.
5- True, yes you actually can, like so "#{@variable}". You can do it with other type of variables too.

Multiple Choice
1- D
2- B
3- E

Description: Ruby/RGSS Quiz for Intermediate-Advanced level scripters.

# Questions: 5, a short essay and a debugger.

Difficulty: Intermediate-Advanced

True or False:

1. "Proc" is used to store "objects" that can change. In, short it refers to a object its given.
    T F
  2. Array class is better at handling more information then the Table class.
    T F
Multiple Choice:

1. Event Commands are read by..
    A)The Interpreter
    B)Game_Event
    C)Scene_Map
    D)A&B
  2. The first block that is called when a script starts is;
    A)Any things thats on the top
    B) Initialize
    C) Main
  3. To make a new line on a print(a function that prints text on screen) like function you use;
    A) /b
    B) /v
    C) /n
    D) /s

Short Essay
    Tell me what is the WinAPI class. Give me 4 example of what it can be used for.

Debugger
    Code:
    [COLOR=Blue]class[/COLOR] new_file

[COLOR=Blue]def [/COLOR]initialize
    grocery_list[1] = "Milk"
    add_new("Bread")
    [COLOR=Blue]end[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]def [/COLOR]add_new(item)
    grocery_list.push(item)
    [COLOR=Blue]end[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]end[/COLOR]
True or False
1- True
2- False, "Ruby's Array class does not run efficiently when handling large amounts of data"

Multiple Choice
1- A
2- B
3- C

Short Essay
The WinAPI class is used to access Windows API functions. It can be used for;

- Referring to the keyboard
- Refferring to the mouse
- Refferring to the game window
- Making a new window

Debugger
The first letter after "class" should be capitilized.
class new_file > class New_file or class New_File(is better)

An array must be first defined before used.
grocery_list = []

The variable/array "grocery_list" is a local variable and can't be accessed from
a different block.

# of Questions: 10 points.

True of False (5 points)

1) 'for i in 0...5', 'print i', the last i value will be 5
T F
2) 'break' syntax will only exit from a 'loop do' syntax
T F
3) '?' symbol is almost the same as 'if' syntax
T F
4) you can only insert a value to the last, empty position in an array by using .push method
T F
5) 'script hanging' is caused by a never ending looping
T F

Multiple Choice (2 points)
  1. 'super' syntax is generally used for:
    A)refering to the parent class
    B)defining windows x, y, width, etc.
    C)initializing
  2. 'legacy = 1.6', legacy variable is a...
    A)String
    B)Integer
    C)Boolean
    D)Float
    E)None of the above

Essay (3 points)
What's the differences between a hash and an array?

have a nice quiz!!

#====================================================================#
# :: Shark_Tooth, 07.06.06, RGSS/RUBY Quiz
#====================================================================#

Description: Ruby/RGSS Quiz for Intermediate-Advanced level scripters.

# Questions: 5, a short essay and a debugger.

Difficulty: Intermediate-Advanced

True or False:

1. "Proc" is used to store "objects" that can change. In, short it refers to a object its given.
    T F
    T F
Multiple Choice:

A)The Interpreter
    B)Game_Event
    C)Scene_Map
    D)A&B
    B) Initialize
    C) Main
  3. To make a new line on a print(a function that prints text on screen) like function you use;
    A) /b
    B) /v
    C) /n
    D) /s

Short Essay

Debugger
    Code:
    [COLOR=Blue]class[/COLOR] new_file

grocery_list[1] = "Milk"
    add_new("Bread")
    [COLOR=Blue]end[/COLOR]

grocery_list.push(item)
    [COLOR=Blue]end[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]end[/COLOR]
True or False
1- True
2- False, "Ruby's Array class does not run efficiently when handling large amounts of data"

Multiple Choice
1- A
2- B
3- C

Short Essay
The WinAPI class is used to access Windows API functions. It can be used for;

- Referring to the keyboard
- Refferring to the mouse
- Refferring to the game window
- Making a new window

Debugger
The first letter after "class" should be capitilized.
class new_file > class New_file or class New_File(is better)

An array must be first defined before used.
grocery_list = []

The variable/array "grocery_list" is a local variable and can't be accessed from
a different block.

[sarcastic] great timing shark_tooth... just when I'm about to post mine...[/sarcastic]
anyway:
Name : LegACy
Date : 7th of June
Class : Intermediate

True or False

1. True, isn't it used for battle result or something? glad I've learned about it recently from seph. Altho the definition isn't that right, tho...
2. False, Hey, there's no better kind of variable, you can't say global var is better than local one because of it's capability, right? Anyway, if it's about the capability, of course Table is the winner, since it's a 2-dimensional array, actually...

Comparing
1. A painting is to a canvas as Graphics is to a ... (Okay, I give up now, I don't understand what graphic are you talking about....)
2. A folder is to files as Classes it to Err..., method?

Multiple Choice

1. A, since I think game_event hold the event data (position , graphic, etc) instead of the command...
2. B, if you mean a class...
3. C, you mean an 'enter-like' function, right?
Short Essay
Okay, that's hard. Anyway, it's a class that allow us to utilize WinAPI, in short. example? well, there's a GetKeyState API that can be used for checking keyboard input, and there's also another API to check mouse input. And to use the mouse API, we'll need some other API like the er... ScreenToClient API, which somekind of transfering x and y coordinates from screen to window and don't forget the API that get the currently active window (forget the name).

Debugger
Hmm, I don't think it'll work, since grocery_list is a local variable that cannot be accessed out of the method. Also, there's no array defining for that grocery_list...

Really, from now on, NO ONE WILL EVER MAKE A COMPARING TEST ANYMORE! Since it's hard to express your understanding upon script, and I really hate those tutorial where they said, 'a variable is kinda a locker where you can store things', come on now, it's not the same. You can't differ an empty variable (nil) and zero contained variable with locker. And locker can't have a negative number too!

EDIT: and btw, sharky, this is suppose to be advanced level instead of 'inter-advan'

LegACy said:
[sarcastic] great timing shark_tooth... just when I'm about to post mine...[/sarcastic]
anyway:
Name : LegACy
Date : 7th of June
Class : Intermediate

True or False

1. True, isn't it used for battle result or something? glad I've learned about it recently from seph. Altho the definition isn't that right, tho...
2. False, Hey, there's no better kind of variable, you can't say global var is better than local one because of it's capability, right? Anyway, if it's about the capability, of course Table is the winner, since it's a 2-dimensional array, actually...

Comparing
1. A painting is to a canvas as Graphics is to a ... (Okay, I give up now, I don't understand what graphic are you talking about....)
2. A folder is to files as Classes it to Err..., method?

Multiple Choice

1. A, since I think game_event hold the event data (position , graphic, etc) instead of the command...
2. B, if you mean a class...
3. C, you mean an 'enter-like' function, right?
Short Essay
Okay, that's hard. Anyway, it's a class that allow use to utilize WinAPI, in short. example? well, there's a GetKeyState API that can be used for checking keyboard input, and there's also another API to check mouse input. And to use the mouse API, we'll need some other API like the er... ScreenToClient API, which somekind of transfering x and y coordinates from screen to window and don't forget the API that get the currently active window (forget the name).

Debugger
Hmm, I don't think it'll work, since grocery_list is a local variable that cannot be accessed out of the method. Also, there's no array defining for that grocery_list...

Really, from now on, NO ONE WILL EVER MAKE A COMPARING TEST ANYMORE! Since it's hard to express your understanding upon script, and I really hate those tutorial where they said, 'a variable is kinda a locker where you can store things', come on now, it's not the same. You can't differ an empty variable (nil) with zero contained variable with locker. And locker can't have a negative number too!

XD, Comparing make you think outside the box. Don't get mad if you can't.
well, I won't do it again. I just thaught it would be kool to do something different.

And thoe turtorials work great for some people, here;

A folder cabinet is a computer.
A folder is a class/module. You can put folders in folders.
A file is a block.
A paper is a variable or data. ':|

fine, that wasn't very well put. Its missing something.. I forgat.

Edit:
@legacy, read
True or false
Number 2
Yes you can. a global variable takes more bytes then a instance or a local but I see what you mean.

Comparing in number 1 is Bitmap. I can see how you wouldn't know that. Thats kind of advanced i guess.

well, does using more byte make it better anyhow? I've read somewhere that there're more than just integer variable for number. There's single, double, long, integer, etc. And each use different number of byte, but they just differ in number range actually, but that doesn't make it better...

About graphic > bitmap, do you mean bitmap class? I rarely touch 'em, to be honest...

True or False:
1. T
2. F

Comparing

1. ???
2. methods

Multiple Choice:

1. A
2. B
3. C

Short Essay

Um...I think it's like how Windows compiles things?I dunno...It can be used for keyboard/mouse scripts...I dunno what else...
Debugger
Code:
Code:
class new_file  #new_file isn't capitalized

def initialize 
grocery_list[1] = "Milk"   #that's not an array...er,it's not made yet...
add_new("Bread")          
end 

def add_new(item) 
grocery_list.push(item)             #since it's not a real array or whatnot,this wouldn't get to it?
end 
end

K well that's what I said... I did well on the first 2 quizzes, and I hope I did well on this, too... The first two T/F questions I guessed on, so yeah...

LegACy said:
well, does using more byte make it better anyhow? I've read somewhere that there're more than just integer variable for number. There's single, double, long, integer, etc. And each use different number of byte, but they just differ in number range actually, but that doesn't make it better...

About graphic > bitmap, do you mean bitmap class? I rarely touch 'em, to be honest...

no, using more byte makes it worse... Actually I had a list somewhere, in C/C++, when you declare a variable a double, integer, long, float, single they automticly waste bytes. Thats why C++ is so hard.. You have to predict o else it goes to negative i think. Well, it doesn't matter anyways.. In ruby a variable autamitcly changes in to a float, a double and so on. Its just if you script programs thats suppose to be laggy like Netplay, you shoulduse variables that take less bytes. We didn't even use variables, used numbers.

Anyways, I should delete the question. I heard somewhere that global varaibles use more bytes. I(they too) might be wrong. I don't remember who said it. I think it was in Second Nature's IRC.

Yes I mean the bitmap class. You use bitmap class everytime you do something with grpahics, you just don't know it. Like i said, the bitmap is the canvas(if i spelt right). I learnt all these reading different tuts for different programing languages, i just took the risk of try them for here XD.

Edit: I'm not posting anymore quizzes.. You can do yours next Legacy.
Edit: .... I'm so dumb sometimes. I need to choose my words carefully. No, you are right legacy. It doesn't make it better. I rephrase the question and deleted comparing.

Finally.. I've been waiting. I hate you for the first question, that always confuses me. XP

1) F
2) F
3) F
4) T, I didn't undesrstand this one.. Did u mean using .push() or if there is something else besides it. There are other ways to insert a object in a array.
5) T

1. A
2. E, that ' ' better not be a string lol. If it is..

Essay (3 points)
Whats the differance.. Hmm.. I like hashes better XD. I don't know more then that. I never really cared.

Edit: WTF.. Did u delete your test?

I have to apologize, I accidently meesed up the merging, so I had to merge it with Aran's second post. It's still there, but below his answers. As I have not the time right now, either Aran can edit his post to clean it up, or I will do it later when I come back.

Uh oh, forget to post the answer:
True of False (5 points)

False, it only gets to '4', while .. will gets to '5'
False, it will exit until, for, etc.
True, it is like > 'if legacy == true' same as 'legacy == true ?'
4) you can only insert a value to the last, empty position in an array by using .push method
False, there is '<<' syntax
False, it's mainly caused by no 'graphics.update'. Look at any scene, it can be said a never ending loop if we don't exit the scene, but since there's a graphics.update, it doesn't give errors.

1) 'super' syntax is generally used for:

2) 'legacy = 1.6', legacy variable is a...
D)Float > any decimal number is a float variable

Essay (3 points)
Array is a variable which contain multiple value that's placed and called by numerical order, while Hash is a variable with multiple value that's indexed by the 'key' that's assigned to them.

So, if we put 2, 3, 1 into an array, the result will be in the same order, and must be called with the order. But in hash, we need to define the key first, like the key of 2 is 5, the key of 3 is 'three', and the key of 1 is 0. We call it by using the key : Hash_var['three'] will result in 3...

Sharky, you need to learn the basic more XD, you seem to jumped right into the hardpart... your point is 4 points!!! ^^

LegACy said:
Uh oh, forget to post the answer:
True of False (5 points)

False, it only gets to '4', while .. will gets to '5'
False, it will exit until, for, etc.
True, it is like > 'if legacy == true' same as 'legacy == true ?'
False, there is '<<' syntax
False, it's mainly caused by no 'graphics.update'. Look at any scene, it can be said a never ending loop if we don't exit the scene, but since there's a graphics.update, it doesn't give errors.

1) 'super' syntax is generally used for:

2) 'legacy = 1.6', legacy variable is a...
D)Float > any decimal number is a float variable

Essay (3 points)
Array is a variable which contain multiple value that's placed and called by numerical order, while Hash is a variable with multiple value that's indexed by the 'key' that's assigned to them.

So, if we put 2, 3, 1 into an array, the result will be in the same order, and must be called with the order. But in hash, we need to define the key first, like the key of 2 is 5, the key of 3 is 'three', and the key of 1 is 0. We call it by using the key : Hash_var['three'] will result in 3...

Sharky, you need to learn the basic more XD, you seem to jumped right into the hardpart... your point is 4 points!!! ^^

hmm, that means i'm a natural XD.

Prepare to be dazzled.
# of Questions: 10 points.
True of False (5 points)

F

F

F
More like if...else

F
ary[ary.length] = obj

F
Not neccessarily; for instance Interpretters have a mechanism that prevents them from spending so long processing between Graphics.updates that they cause a 'Script Hanging' error.

'super' syntax is generally used for:

'legacy = 1.6', legacy variable is a...
D)Float

Essay (3 points)
In a hash, or associative array, the value objects can be referenced by any object, and are not stoored linearly. (In fact, values in an array aren't stoored linearly in memory anyway, but their references are).

Aran

Hey, do I have all the quizzes in the first post? If not, please tell me and I'll edit.

Shark_Tooth's second quiz:

Name: Aran
Level: Beginner-Intermediate (I'm gonna try at this ^^)
Date: 07.09.06

True or False:

T ;I'm guessing
    F ;I'm not sure what the Table class is since I haven't practiced with it

Multiple Choice:

A)The Interpreter
    B)Game_Event
    C)Scene_Map
    D)A&B
    B) Initialize
    C) Main
    A) /b
    B) /v
    C) /n ;C is always the correct answer XD, but are those metacharacters?
    D) /s

Short Essay
    I don't know...

Debugger
    Code:
    [COLOR=Blue]class[/COLOR] [color=red]N[/color]ew_[color=red]F[/color]ile

[color=red]grocery_list = {}[/color]
    grocery_list[1] = "Milk" ;[color=green]#makes a new array (or hash...)?[/color]
    add_new("Bread") ;[color=green]#calls method...[/color]
    [COLOR=Blue]end[/COLOR]

grocery_list.push(item)
    [COLOR=Blue]end[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]end[/COLOR]

EDIT (Checked Answers): Dammit... shoulda' stuck with making "grocery_list" an array...

Answers:
T F
T F
T F
T F
T F

1. 'super' syntax is generally used for:
B)defining windows x, y, width, etc.
C)initializing
2. 'legacy = 1.6', legacy variable is a...
A)String
B)Integer
C)Boolean
D)Float
E)None of the above

Essay (3 points)
In an array the index is a number, and in hashes the index can also be strings and other things.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.