Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Rebuilding following the fire

We had a brief hiccup, which led to me having to restore the backup of one particular table of the database. Just the template for the html of the site, nothing else was lost at all. It reverted to some time in 2009, and my backup was from about a week ago. We are back to relative normality once more now, however I am going to need a tiny bit of help.

There are two issues with my backup:

1. The backup didn't include a couple of recent changes to a couple of files only, for some reason. Thus some features are missing: the screenshots on the homepage, the homepage changes from a couple of weeks ago, the buttons in the games section (but not the functionality). I do not think anything else is missing.

2. The header and footer files did not backup, for some inexplicable reason. I have remade the header from what I can remember was there, but there may be something missing, I'm not sure? The footer is completely lost, so I will remake it to how it was before.

3. The backup was in the wrong text format, thus a couple of characters used in templates have been replaced with ������ symbols.

So what do I need from you?

Honestly, carry on as you are, it's my fault not yours; but if you see any problems please let me know.

Also, I will use this as an opportunity to edit the theme anyway and pretty it up a bit, so any suggestions as to this are more than welcome.

Additionally

I fixed the problem that led to this happening in the first place.

Basically phpbb has two ways of editing the site template. Through the forums, which is simple, quick, and stores it in the database.

Or through hardcoding the files.

I, being used to being the only one editing the template, have got a little bit lazy over the years, and have just been editing it via the forums, as it is much quicker.

Another admin edited the template via hardcoding, which... deletes any changes made the other way.

I have fixed the problem,

By solving the issue that meant edits were going to the database. Now, editing via the forums edits the files themselves instead. Still secure, still exactly the same functionality, but now this won't happen again.

Once again

I am very very sorry. I cocked up, big time. If it helps, it's took a long time to fix this issue, so you have that.

Games pages have now been restored. Game screenshot galleries currently display just as a forum however. All other functionality is there.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.