Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Pixel Art WIPs/Small Things Thread

PIXEL ART ONLY in this thread! Thank you.

This sticky exists for you to get critiques on any works in progress you might have that wouldn't merit a thread on their own. This also includes things you make from pixel tutorials and the like.

Things that go here include but are not limited to the following:
- single frames of sprites or templates
- recolors
- frankensprites
- simple recolors of tilesets
- bits of tiles you're working on, or a small number of tiles
- any small pieces of work that wouldn't merit inclusion in a workshop or a thread of their own
- etc.

If you have a substantial amount of stuff, you can make a workshop thread for it. If you're not sure, PM a mod. Any threads you make that don't have enough content to stand by themselves will be merged with this thread, so don't do it!

NOTE!
If you leave something here for critique, try to critique something of someone else's while you're at it. If you want input, you should be prepared to give some of your own, and it helps keeps the critiques flowing.

Legion
I think you need more contrast for that template. It seems you're needing stronger highlights or something.

I love the designs.

Berzy, it looks really cool. I'm not too sure on the shading of the stairs to the sides, but the rest is all pretty sweet.

And now becaues I felt that HK's were really missing something useful - piercings and tattoos, I'm going to start something I hope to continue a couple more times in this thread.

and without the template

here's a template i am working on [base on golden sun sprites]
lemme know what you think of it's movement [yeah i know it's not shaded yet >.>]
Template.gif

NOTE: this will not be included in the contest cuz i've started it before the contest was opened :X.

Lomastul, nice animation. How heavily is it based off of GS? My only real complaint is that the hand swings far more forward than it does back in the side animation, but it doesn't look bad per se.

Also, Berzy, that's shiny. I like the leg. :D

The Führer":1p7v8wkg said:
Lomastul, nice animation. How heavily is it based off of GS? My only real complaint is that the hand swings far more forward than it does back in the side animation, but it doesn't look bad per se.

Also, Berzy, that's shiny. I like the leg. :D

ty for the critique ^^, and i will fix it.
tho in golden sun the hand swing to the back was even more smaller then here :P [just mentioning it out].

Ignore the shading, this is very basic linework, but this is my patented Half-a-Marvin-powered steampunky Purple-Nazi-flag machine.

purplenazimakermarvin.PNG

Wyatt, is the whole contraption on one level? Right now I'm getting the impression that the vertical ramp is on a downward slant and that half of the machine is on a higher level.

I attempted to make a tree using Peri's tutorial... it's not much but it's a start I guess. I haven't got around to pallette work so I borrowed Peri's pallette - if I submit this I'll make my own pallette don't worry.

Faint

Commodore Whynot":1t6trrbm said:
Ignore the shading, this is very basic linework, but this is my patented Half-a-Marvin-powered steampunky Purple-Nazi-flag machine.

purplenazimakermarvin.PNG

Nazi flags are red! xD

I just wanted to post something here.
I already know I probably need to up the contrast and clean up some areas.
It's material for the HKCP so I'll need to compensate for any shoes/boots/belts ect... I'll have to test out what others have made.
I have a problem with the waist. Do you think it's too thin?

I think they are fine Coyote. Just as you said, clean up and more contrast, perhaps a bit more yellow in the lighter shades to make it stand out better.

Wyatt--busy atm, but remind me to comment on that tree later.

In the meantime, here are some really sloppy five-minute exercises of desert rocks.

I was mainly testing out the palette and playing with lighting. Also, there's a random WIP sand tile in there I may or may not scrap.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.