Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

MV in Browser

Alright. Netlify seem pretty good for hosting MV games through the browser. Honestly, it was the simplest thing. I signed up for free, uploaded my project folder. And Boom. There it was.

http://coyotecraft.netlify.com/

I haven't messed with web hosting in years. I've heard of Github for coding websides but I haven't had a reason sign up. I'm assuming you manage your file directory if you link your Netlify site with github.
All I can do from Netlify is change the url name or delete the site.

With a free account you have 100 MB of storage a month, and 1 GB bandwidth.
It would have been neat to be able to show of demos on Plug-ins in browsers. See, I changed the flashing sprite destination indicator from a square to a circle - but in a screenshot that's nothing.
But that's doesn't seem very practical. I cut out as much as I could from the project folder - no sounds ect... but my upload speed is terrible and 11Mb took a while. A new project with everything still in place was over 70mb.
Probably leave deploying projects to fancier demos and finished games.

Also, the character movement is really slow compared to playing offline. It's got to be a browser thing right? If its loaded then why should it run any different?

It's 20fps in chrome but on my Dad's laptop, in chrome it's 60fps
It doesn't run at all in Explorer
On my dad's phone browser it looks like it's running 60fps or close to it.
Outside of the browser it runs perfectly at 60fps.

I don't know why my Chrome would run any different than my dad's.

And a different mystery I'm looking into is where the savefile goes when you save in browser.

I took out the music, sounds, and pretty much everything I could to make the project as small as possible. But I don't think it's very practical to show off dumb small plugins like changing the square indicator to a circle.

I could shave off a little bit more. But the core .js and data folders are like ~3mb without any images and nothing to the maps.

Amy, how did you embed that MV demo in a post earlier?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.