Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[MV] Characters above message boxes (evented)

messagebox.gif

This is a little gimmick for fourth wall breaking or for adding a little animation and charm to plain static messageboxes.

How did I done it?

1. The message box is actually a picture which is saved in the img/layers folder.
2. Using GALV's Layer Graphics the messagebox is shown in layer 4.
3. The event then is on layer 5, or "always above characters".
4. The message box itself is moved by editing values in rpg_windows.js
5. The message box is removed by editing the window.png graphic in img/system.
6. Event is shown using eventing. It's done like so, and can be modularised using common events (basically you want a before/after message common event, which performs the functions).

Galv's Layer Graphics:

Event:

1669567479614.png

The above fades in the message box and then shows the event (event must be positioned where you want it over the message box).

1669567514754.png

Above is the messages being shown and the animation taking place with move routes.

1669567553529.png

And then above the message box is faded out again and the sprite hidden.

This should be called like so:

- Common event: before message
- Event processing
- Common event: after message

This creates hooks so you can tweak how the images are shown or hidden at will.

Any questions fire away!

Have attached my message box graphic for reference.

Attachments

• messagebox.png
    messagebox.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 93
I got asked why I used a picture instead of just making the characters appear above the message box.

It's so that more fourth wall breaking can be done later. If the messagebox is a picture then that too can be animated. The sprites could rip their way out of it, bash letters together, do all kinds of crazy stuff.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.