Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Master List of Home-Brew Game Engines

I would like to add to the list.

The Official Hamster Republic Role-Playing Game Construction Engine
(OHRRPGCE for short.)
Website: http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/ind ... _Page.html

Cost: Nothing. Freeware, open-source.
Scripting: "Plotscripts"
Pros: Active support by developers, ease of use, open-source.
Cons: Relatively limited in map number, global Boolean available, and customization options. No graphics included.
Mapping: One layer with square tiles you must draw yourself. Passability customizable in map editor tile-by-tile.

If I can find any others that are still available and can be installed on a Windows Vista system, I'll check them out and post about them here. I know there used to be a few more free ones, if I can ever remember their names.

e

Sponsor

would game engines fit this? i mean, some game engines are pretty much game makers but with more programming flexibility and (generally) simpler visual editors.

mawk

Sponsor

AGS is cool. if anyone's played the Trilby games, that's what Yahtzee used.

also 1213, which is cool too

Mystic Phoenix, show me three people who actually use Fighter Maker. Enterbrain has a lot of terrible products that no one uses; we're not going to include all of them on this list.

as a good rule of thumb, stuff should

• be worth using (Construct)
  • already be too widespread to omit (AGM)

the hamster republic thing is stretching it, but whatever. the skinny is that Fighter Maker, Sim Maker, all that stuff is pretty much unusable. doesn't help that there's not much of a good translation for either.

eth, I'd say go for it. including things like libraries in the list might be strange, but engines should fit fine.

Would the ones from clickteam be okay for the list? I first started out using the first one and the second is a more expandable option.

The Games Factory 2
Website: http://www.clickteam.com/website/usa/th ... ory-2.html
HBGames: n/a

Cost: £34.99
Scripting: Event based
Pros: Not designed for a specific type of game; Bonuspacks; Optional Flash SWF Export Plugin (£83.99 inc TGF2); No programming knowledge needed.
Cons: No graphics supplied;
Mapping: Pixel by Pixel based; Objects automatically placed sometimes (Backgrounds behind active objects/platforms); Each individual type can be moved forwards and or backwards in layers.

---

Multimedia Fusion 2
HBGames: n/a

Cost: £74.99
Scripting: Event based; Java (I think)
Pros: Not designed for a specific type of game; Bonuspacks; Optional Flash SWF Export Plugin (£123.99 inc MMF2); Extensions;
Cons: Expensive; No graphics supplied;
Mapping: Pixel by Pixel based; Objects automatically placed sometimes (Backgrounds behind active objects/platforms); Each individual type can be moved forwards and or backwards in layers.

(Not had a whole load of exp with MMFs but I'm sure that it functions the same as TGF with additional extras.)

You forgot M.U.G.E.N

here is the download link http://mugen.en.softonic.com/

Its a 2d fighting game-engine.

Cost:freeware
Scripting: works on Windows Vista, XP and 7. however you need to be familiar with DOS and/or be willing to learn a bit of code to work with it.
Pros: It used to be a commercial engine, street fighter was originally designed for M.U.G.E.N and you can create shoot em ups and "platformers" as well. It comes with a Demo self titled M.U.G.E.N to show you the basics in creating a game.
Its powerfull in the sense that you can program your game exactly how you want.
Cons: Its not user friendly and you really need to be experienced with MS-DOS otherwise you wont be able to use it effectively.
The demo is boring.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.