Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

John of the Dead (VERY EARLY GAMEPLAY DEMO)

John of the Dead early gameplay demo

This demo is only for you people at RMXP.ORG forums, simply because you guys know how difficult game making can be and wont flame me for early gameplay bugs.

IMPORTANT..PLEASE READ..

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g109/ ... nadey1.png[/IMG]

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g109/ ... /nadey.png[/IMG]

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g109/ ... zombiz.png[/IMG]

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g109/ ... icdead.png[/IMG]

^ for people that dont know

John of the dead is an action game about surviving a zombie crisis. the city is already blown to hell and zombies are stalking the streets by the tons...theres only about a handful of survivors left, and its your job to save them or not. Saving civillans can help out in the end, such as if you need backup and such. The only "real" safe place is a small lodge on the side of a mountain where the military is staying. That is your safe haven. You take missions for money as well as saving people around the city.

Known bugs

-After jumping sometimes John stays in the jumping pose, to fiz this simple either tap the menu button (W) or manually reload (Q)

-with the .38 special revolver, sometimes after reloading John will stay as the reloading charset. (fix this problem the same as you would the last)

-Fonts not showing up? YOU NEED THE FONT NAMED "BrowalliaUPC"

-NOT all firearms have manual reload (not really a bug ..just incomplete coding..)

-only being able to use the SOCOM's laser sight on town square level (incomplete coding on a few maps :P)

-you can still shoot while the reloading animation is showing...yes i know...

What excatly is on the demo?

The demo doesnt have that many places, it has a custom title screen that i worked hard on,a few cutscenes, a weapon armory, a cabin where survivors stay, a town entrance, and a town square.

Boring?

-Well if you go inside the weapon armory i left a little surpise, theres about 17 guns and a baseball bat.

-and after you enter the Kenner City Entrance that IS NOT the end of the demo.. follow the road up north and youll be suprised...

-to talk to people just walk into them, i made most of them say a few funny phrases :D

WHAT GUNS CAN I SHOOT IN THE DEMO?!?

Tarus .38 special revolver
Tanfoglio "witness" 1911 handgun
Ingram Mac 11 machine pistol
SPAS 12 gauge shotgun
Colt M16-A1 assualt rifle
AK-47 assualt rifle
Chicago type writer (Also known as the tommy gun)
FAMAS assualt rifle
MP5 sub machine gun
G3 assualt rifle
MK23 SOCOM handgun
Desert eagle 44 magnum
Scorpian sub machine gun
Remington standard 12 gauge shotgun
"stubby" 12 gauge shotgun
"cowboy" shotgun
Stinger missle launcher

Tell me more about...the ...guns!!

-well all shotguns have the ability to blow the enemy right on there back.

-shotguns shoot by 3 tiles..for example. .. the X is john and the O is the tile squares..

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

-if you dont know what thats good for, its for when your cornered and plenty of zombies are after you , knock em down!!

-i know the ammo counter doesnt show up but the guns DO have limited ammo...

-Desert eagle knocks zombies off there feet too..

What are the controls?

The controls in the game are fairly simple.

1) movement- to move John, just use the arrow keys.

2) sprinting/running- to sprint/run faster just hold the "S" key on the keyboard and use the arrow keys to move and you will run.

3) jumping- to jump press the "D" key on the key board. you can jump away or over some enemys that arnt too big.

4) Selecting a weapon- To select a weapon you first have to open the weapon menu. To open the weapon menu hold down the "W" key on your keyboard and use the
arrow keys to cycle the cursor through your available weapons. when you've found your weapon of choice, leave the cursor on your weapon of choice and let go of the "W" key.

5) firing your weapon- to shoot your weapon press the "ENTER" key on your keyboard.

6) manuel reload- to manually reload your selected weapon, during gameplay press the "Q" key. manually reloading can be very helpfull. Reload time is the most dangerous time when using a weapon in battle. Any kind of hesitation is dangerous in a battle. So its best to keep your clip full!

7) using attatchments- almost every weapon has an upgrade. to use the specific upgrade your weapon has press the "A" key. Example: the MK23 Socom pistol has a laser aiming module as one upgrade. to aim the laser hold down the "A" key. The AK-47 has an M203 grenade launcher as an upgrade, press the "A" key to fire a grenade round.

Any tips from the developer?

-sure!.. well keep in mind you can jump over the zombies so use that to your advantage..

-manual reloading is good to use so you can allways have a full clip to destroy them with...

-rememeber, keep the zombies close, and your 12 gauge closer :D lol...

VERY IMPORTANT!!

I want you all to know that after about 2 years the game is still indeed in early development simply because the time consuming systems and story wrighting :)

now PLEASE do not judge the game completly yet because its still in early form, but i do want to hear your thoughts .

thank you and..

DOWNLOAD!!!

REMEMBER...TOWN SQUARE IS THE LAST PART OF THE DEMO!! youll know because all the zombies...

Hmm... 124 meg is a lot for just a demo, especially with how slow Megaupload is. Any chance of a midi version (if mp3's are causing the large file-size)?

Wyatt, considering the quality of the graphics and everything else that went into this game, I don't think the size is in the music.

@saikyo: this looks very well done; the work you put into making it shows. Personally, it's not my kind of game, so I probably won't be downloading it, but I really have to congratulate you on the work you've done. I wish you the best of luck in finishing it.

wtf...
how does that work?...

it worked on everyone elses comp...

unless u mean that it doesnt show the window skin at the default title...then yea..when you start the game just press enter...

Downloaded it again. This time it worked - something must have happened last time. Anyway, here's what I think.

The Good:
The music and sounds create a great ambience. The graphics and style are very creative and original.

The Bad:
Very buggy. In the beginning, there were times when I had no control over the player - perhaps cutscenes, but nothing happened except that the characters just stood around. Sometimes when I walked up to someone - a soldier - I'd get stuck and would have to mash random keys to get unstuck.
I felt I had no real control in battle situations. I was just mashing the spacebar and sometimes would get a hit.
When I pressed the esc key to open up the menu, I saw three sprites on a black screen. When I pressed spacebar, I was taken back to the titlescreen.
There are no boundaries. I could walk up walls, over and through people, etc.
Also, movement felt awkward and slow at times.

Final Note: I applaud you for trying something new with rmxp. However, I didn't play very long because I was getting frustrated a lot. Good beginning, but this project will need a lot of work to be enjoyable.

first of all i already noted that this was an early gameplay demo which has quiet a few bugs.
and thats cutscenes in the beggining. im guessing you dont have the font like i said you needed.
and you got stuck talking to people? you know why? as said before you needed the font.

2nd ESC key doesnt open the menu?? WTF are you talking about?? W key does. and i thought you guys would be more openminded, i should have just stuck to beta testers clearly because you dont know how hard gamemaking can be

Don't get discouraged. I do understand how difficult game making can be, especially with all the extra features you have implemented. I was just offering my opinion. Isn't that what you wanted? If not, you can disregard everything I had said earlier.

@saikyo765. WTF WTF? It seems you want opinions and you jump down anyones throat who brings up good points? Maybe you should have not posted this. I as well got stuck talking to people, thought the way the character moves was extremely clunky and just stopped playing after getting the club. Also. If everyone needs the font why not include it in the download folder? The idea of this game is cool. And it has alot of potential. I just don't think it was ready to be released. And it does not help that you seem 'Not quite so open' about any negative comments? The negative is what you WANT, because that's how you improve the game.

maybe im not "so open" about the negetive comments because the negetive comments provided about the bugs wouldnt happen if you had the font LIKE I SAID you needed. maybe you wouldnt have those problems if you followed the directions i said to read.

FONT DOWNLOAD:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MT23P3WB

you know what, i dont even care just lock this thread and close it down. dont play it , i dont even care anymore

Wow. Why are you so hostile? Without these issues being properly addressed how do you ever plan to have a enjoyable game? I have not once heard a comment saying this project sucks, only things that should be looked into, repaired or reworked. There is nothing wrong with these issues being pointed out even if they already have been. Having errors, bugs, or general faulty playability is nothing to get angry about. Just fix it and continue your project. It looks great and you can see the amount of work put into it. Just take the comments and build on them. That's what Project discussion is all about.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.